Torn between 2016 - 2017 - 2018 CX-5

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
My 2016 CX-5 GT AWD with iActiveSense has approx. 26k miles with warranty expiry 01/2018. I also am sure will not reach 36k before.
My options are to continue with 2016 ; or do a private sale and opt for either 2017 or 2018. I am torn between the 2. Either year I choose will opt for GT AWD with the top-end package as for that year. I need Heads-up display and rear-seat heating. 2018 I am really hesitant due to the cylinder de-activation being relatively new whereas dealer told me there's significant improvement to 2018 over 2017. Can anyone guide me here a bit in terms of what I'll miss other than cylinder de-activation and loss of 1 mpg gain? Just to be clear - I am un-interested in diesel version.
Then - there's Skyactive-X scheduled to make an appearance next year .... the dilemma never ends.

There's nothing wrong with your 2016 CX-5. Or is there something wrong with it?

Also, you don't "need" heads-up display. You just want it. I want it to, but I wouldn't consider it a need.

Lastly, if still owe on your 2016 CX-5, then it is better to keep it and pay it off, unless there is really something wrong with it.

Great advice above. If the money burns the pocket, invest the difference between new car price and whatever you get for your depreciated asset for the duration of the new car loan. Report back in 3-5 years, and see what happens.

Last edited:
I want a 17, too. Bad. HUD. Heated Steering wheel.
Nope. Not doing it. Looking forward to many years with my "outdated" 16.
To each their own though, as usual...
I would not let cylinder deactivation keep me from an 18. However you'll get a better deal on a 17 right now.

There's nothing wrong with your 2016 CX-5. Or is there something wrong with it?

Also, you don't "need" heads-up display. You just want it. I want it to, but I wouldn't consider it a need.

Lastly, if still owe on your 2016 CX-5, then it is better to keep it and pay it off, unless there is really something wrong with it.

Here's why - I have a firm offer $25.5k for my 2016. My dealership offered me 2017 with loyalty, blah-blah at $29,000 - out of door price.

I would like to know why the dealer considers the 2018 significantly improved over the 2017 - nowhere has anything like that been published, and the dealers I have talked to had no information that confirms this.

If you want to get out of the 2016, I would look for a deal on the 2017. I was holding out for 2018 thinking it would be improved, but I drove one, and it only seems to have minor tweaks (air vent, power window switches) and cylinder deactivation. Because you can't turn off cylinder deactivation i passed on the 2018 - to much of an unknown for me.

So if you buy the ‘17 will you have buyers remorse that you didn’t get a ‘18, or when SkyActiv X comes out or when Mazda releases their next Kodo design?

I’m not trying to discourage you but always having the latest in anything always costs more. Right now you are in confirmation bias mode.

Once again - thank you all. For these things: my wife knows how to douse the fire (confirmation bias). When I told her - her response was I also want a bigger ring.

Once again - thank you all. For these things: my wife knows how to douse the fire (confirmation bias). When I told her - her response was I also want a bigger ring.
Tell her in that case you're looking for a nice '18 Suburban or Yukon XL (also with sylinder de-activation for amazing fuel economy). This might convince her otherwise.

Here's why - I have a firm offer $25.5k for my 2016. My dealership offered me 2017 with loyalty, blah-blah at $29,000 - out of door price.

Sounds like an aggressive offer, but how much do you owe on your CX-5? That determines how much you really benefit from trading in your 2016 CX-5. Also auto finance rates nowadays won't be anywhere near as good as when you bought your 2016.

With everything Mazda is working on these days, like Puyapim said, you might get buyer's remorse if you get the 2017. In my case, if I were to trade in our 2016 CX-5 for even a 2018 model and then Mazda unveils a Signature trim for the CX-5 with the 2.5T engine, I would go into depression LOL. I'm not saying it is coming soon, but with Mazda going "premium", there is a big chance that a Signature trim will be revealed for the CX-5 in the future.

I will most likely keep my CX5 for 80-90K miles while my camry is real workhorse hitting 125K miles. I will let go the camry and probably get a well equipped 6 from 2017 / 17.5

CX5 will hit 90K in 4 years so I am keeping it loonger.

Go for 18. You have more features for the same trim. I love the fact I had heated seats navi etc. for my price. Woohoo.

Tell her in that case you're looking for a nice '18 Suburban or Yukon XL (also with sylinder de-activation for amazing fuel economy). This might convince her otherwise.

Lol. I think she meant a bigger diamond, not a bigger vehicle.

I kept my 2003 Honda Element for 15 years while Honda killed the "E" and made a mess of the CR-V. I could have stayed with my Element for likely another 3 to 5 years of reasonably dependable service. I hope to keep my CX-5 for a good long time too unless they manage to get TARDIS-like functionality in another vehicle.

I will most likely keep my CX5 for 80-90K miles while my camry is real workhorse hitting 125K miles. I will let go the camry and probably get a well equipped 6 from 2017 / 17.5

CX5 will hit 90K in 4 years so I am keeping it loonger.

Go for 18. You have more features for the same trim. I love the fact I had heated seats navi etc. for my price. Woohoo.

Sounds like the dealer is offering a great deal on the 17. Assuming that includes the "need"ed HUD, a similarly equipped 18 would cost at least a couple thousand more for the benefit of vent dials, lighted power window switches, and the much loved cylinder deactivation.

So if I'm getting this right.. your '16 +$3500+tax(on the difference) and tags so saying like ~4000 total bottom line figure you have a brand new '17 AWD GT w/premium?
If yes the only question I have is why have you not already done so..btw this seems too good to be true.

So if I'm getting this right.. your '16 +$3500+tax(on the difference) and tags so saying like ~4000 total bottom line figure you have a brand new '17 AWD GT w/premium?
If yes the only question I have is why have you not already done so..btw this seems too good to be true.

Doesn't out the door include tax?

^ Yes but I figured I'd assume the worst and its still great but something tells me one way or another 4k just ain't getting this done. If I'm wrong- awesome, take the deal and drive home like Charlie..#winning

Last edited:
Back