What have you done to your CX-9 today?

sm1ke

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature
Contributor
:
Canada
Hi all! This seems to be a pretty common thread topic on some of the other boards I visit. I did a search and couldn't find anything posted for the CX-9, so I figured I'd create one. Mods, if there is already a similar thread, please feel free to close this one!

Did you just carve out a few corners on the mountain roads or take the CX-9 for a road trip? Install a new cosmetic piece? DIY'd a cabin filter install? Swapped your winter wheels out for your summer set (or vice versa)? Show off your handiwork here with a pic or video! All discussion is welcome, but keep it civil please! Refrain from making comments against a person's character or taste. Hopefully this grows to become a great source of information and inspiration.

I'll start. I just got my CX-9 a week and a half ago and I'm excited to make it "mine" with a few minor cosmetic touches. A CF steering wheel garnish came in the mail a couple of days ago, and today I finally found a bit of time to apply it.

attachment.php

IMG_20180117_111011.jpg

attachment.php

IMG_20180117_110944.jpg

attachment.php

IMG_20180117_132500.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180117_132414.jpg
    IMG_20180117_132414.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 1,411
Your Carbon insert looks outstanding! I saw this and for some reason did not order it - maybe I'll go back and finally do it. Wish Mazda had used carbon fiber tweaks where they currently use Black Piano plastic. That would have truly completed the interior design of the new CX-9, IMO. My first little mod was esthetic. However, I do have some new hardware mods coming up in the not so distant future:

cache.php

cache.php

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Got a few more small things on the way.

CJ4, I dig the plate frames! I used to write some of the manual content and inspection documentation for the C130 aircraft. What kind of hardware mods are you planning on doing? I've got an armrest storage organizer on the way and an oil catch can that I might install.

CJ4, I dig the plate frames! I used to write some of the manual content and inspection documentation for the C130 aircraft. What kind of hardware mods are you planning on doing? I've got an armrest storage organizer on the way and an oil catch can that I might install.

I'd like an armrest organizer; it's looking like a junk drawer in there. Lol

That's funny. They say brilliant minds think alike and birds of a feather and all that. I was FAIP out of Columbus for two years after UPT before going 435/FTS. We probably could talk shop.

I'm eyeballing an oil catch can just the same. However, I'm wondering about specs and fitment issues with generic makes. Mazda says they have dealt with the issue using engineering prowess. I tend to trust them as engineers. At the same time, this particular iSkyactiv PCV system is a little different than traditional designs internally. Externally, you just splice into it with the catch can as you normally would. My concerns are whether or not adding the can will change the pressure inside the system enough to make a difference in what actually gets returned to the intake manifold for re-burn. Everyone is saying that large valve deposits in GDI engines are a thing of the past but that's only part of the problem historically. Honestly, I think some kind of Hybrid GDI/MPFI would be a proper solution.

Have you picked a brand for your Can yet?

That's funny. They say brilliant minds think alike and birds of a feather and all that. I was FAIP out of Columbus for two years after UPT before going 435/FTS. We probably could talk shop.

I wish I had the knowledge to, unfortunately were coming from two ends of the spectrum (doesn't help that I worked primarily on the Canadian Military C130s), haha. All of those acronyms "went over my head" :D

I'm eyeballing an oil catch can just the same. However, I'm wondering about specs and fitment issues with generic makes. Mazda says they have dealt with the issue using engineering prowess. I tend to trust them as engineers. At the same time, this particular iSkyactiv PCV system is a little different than traditional designs internally. Externally, you just splice into it with the catch can as you normally would. My concerns are whether or not adding the can will change the pressure inside the system enough to make a difference in what actually gets returned to the intake manifold for re-burn. Everyone is saying that large valve deposits in GDI engines are a thing of the past but that's only part of the problem historically. Honestly, I think some kind of Hybrid GDI/MPFI would be a proper solution.

Have you picked a brand for your Can yet?

I just went with a generic one off of amazon. We'll see how it looks when it gets here. If I'm not comfortable with the build or if I can't figure out a good spot to mount it, I'll just flip it on kijiji.

I wish I had the knowledge to, unfortunately were coming from two ends of the spectrum (doesn't help that I worked primarily on the Canadian Military C130s), haha. All of those acronyms "went over my head" :D

That's ok, no problem. I still love the Hurk and was always a big fan of its JATO launch.

I just went with a generic one off of amazon. We'll see how it looks when it gets here. If I'm not comfortable with the build or if I can't figure out a good spot to mount it, I'll just flip it on kijiji.

Interesting. I'm kind of waiting to hear more from those who have already done it. I guess I don't necessarily want to be the guinea pig - but sometimes you have to. Like you said, if you don't like the build quality and filtration, you don't have to install it. All the best with the Can.

hey all,
I don't know if u all have noticed but the glossy black plastic part that surrounds the gear selector is quite difficult to maintain in good shape, it scratches quite easily, any one of you guys have any idea if there is a replacement part for this? or after market mod parts?

Today: Car wash, bought and installed OEM all-weather mats, Waxed the pearl white areas, applied protectant on the external matte black plastics and applied leather conditioner...

A few weeks before: Installed Phillips Ultinon H11 Fogs, Phillips Led Tail bulbs, Phillips Led Reverse bulbs and Interior LED bulb package...White light everywhere!

Me: Happy :)

hey all,
I don't know if u all have noticed but the glossy black plastic part that surrounds the gear selector is quite difficult to maintain in good shape, it scratches quite easily, any one of you guys have any idea if there is a replacement part for this? or after market mod parts?

Funny you mention that, I just ordered this over the weekend because of the piano black gear shift surround:
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

It says its for the CX-5, but I thought it might fit the 9 as well. I emailed the seller and they confirmed that it will, but who knows. I'll post when it comes in. The trim still looks new on mine, so hopefully I can keep it that way until this comes in. If this doesn't work/look good, I'm going to attempt a DIY CF wrap.

Today: Car wash, bought and installed OEM all-weather mats, Waxed the pearl white areas, applied protectant on the external matte black plastics and applied leather conditioner...

A few weeks before: Installed Phillips Ultinon H11 Fogs, Phillips Led Tail bulbs, Phillips Led Reverse bulbs and Interior LED bulb package...White light everywhere!

Me: Happy :)

Nice! I really like the OEM all-weather mats. Do you have part/bulb numbers for the rear turn signal bulbs and the reverse bulbs? And did you use one of the guides on the forum to remove the tail light housing?

This weekend I spilled half of a large tray of crab rangoon that my wife made onto the floor of my CX-9 when another car cut in front of me. (hand)

Can't believe how lazy some drivers are to shoulder-check before changing lanes.

In other news, a set of in-channel window visors came in on Friday. I was pleasantly surprised with the packaging job that they had done, especially for what I paid. They weren't the cheapest set I could find, but they were a whole lot cheaper than the $386 CAD Mazda wants for a set that aren't even in-channel. We'll see if they're worth it when I install them later.

Each bubble-wrapped pair of visors was secured to the box using packing tape and plastic ties, then empty space was filled with packing paper.
attachment.php

IMG_20180120_192302.jpg

Visors came with detailed instructions and prep materials.
attachment.php

IMG_20180120_192537.jpg

attachment.php

IMG_20180120_193245.jpg

They also included a sun visor for good measure, lol.
attachment.php

IMG_20180120_193711.jpg

This weekend I spilled half of a large tray of crab rangoon that my wife made onto the floor of my CX-9 when another car cut in front of me. (hand)

Can't believe how lazy some drivers are to shoulder-check before changing lanes.

In other news, a set of in-channel window visors came in on Friday. I was pleasantly surprised with the packaging job that they had done, especially for what I paid. They weren't the cheapest set I could find, but they were a whole lot cheaper than the $386 CAD Mazda wants for a set that aren't even in-channel. We'll see if they're worth it when I install them later.

Each bubble-wrapped pair of visors was secured to the box using packing tape and plastic ties, then empty space was filled with packing paper.
attachment.php

View attachment 218294

Visors came with detailed instructions and prep materials.
attachment.php

View attachment 218295

attachment.php

View attachment 218296

They also included a sun visor for good measure, lol.
attachment.php

View attachment 218297

Looks good, very comparable to the WeatherTech branded ones I had on my last SUV. Mind sharing the link to where you got it from as I don't want to spend $350.00 for OEM or the WeatherTech branded ones?

Funny you mention that, I just ordered this over the weekend because of the piano black gear shift surround:
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

It says its for the CX-5, but I thought it might fit the 9 as well. I emailed the seller and they confirmed that it will, but who knows. I'll post when it comes in. The trim still looks new on mine, so hopefully I can keep it that way until this comes in. If this doesn't work/look good, I'm going to attempt a DIY CF wrap.

Nice! I really like the OEM all-weather mats. Do you have part/bulb numbers for the rear turn signal bulbs and the reverse bulbs? And did you use one of the guides on the forum to remove the tail light housing?

This is what I got for the reverse leds

71tHW1vrmkL._SL1500_.jpg

I did not replace the turn signals as I dont want to ruin the OEM wirings and install a resistor just to avoid hyperflashing.

I made an appointment to have my running boards installed since I can't figure out how to remove a clip for the side skirts without breaking it. I also removed the front splash guards since they'll be in the way. Not at all as productive as I had hoped.

I made an appointment to have my running boards installed since I can't figure out how to remove a clip for the side skirts without breaking it. I also removed the front splash guards since they'll be in the way. Not at all as productive as I had hoped.

Good on you for attempting it first. Do you have a picture of the problematic clip for future reference?

I picked up a tow hitch and wiring harness from e-trailer, updated Gracenote and updated my mapset.

I had to google Gracenote. How do you like it compared to Mazda Connect and Android Auto (if you've tried AA)?

Few more things came in. Exhaust tips, clear vinyl, CF vinyl, and CF door sill garnishes. I haven't installed/test fitted any of these yet. The door sill garnishes I had ordered before I bought the car, and didn't realize that there's really nowhere to put them lol. May just sell them locally. The exhaust tips are much bigger than I was expecting.. will probably get rid of them if I don't like the way they look when installed.

attachment.php

IMG_20180123_213447.jpg

sm1ke- I bet you'll be returning or selling the dash cover you ordered too. The CX5 is similar but not the same as the CX9 console. If you find one that fits please post it here. I am looking for something similar. I'll probably just have it wrapped.

Back