2017 in dash alert "keep Hands On Wheel"

:
Mazda CX-5 GT 2017
Going about 35 briefly let my hands off wheel to check alignment was not pulling to left or right. After about 10 sec alarm comes on dash "keep Both Hands on Wheel". I must have missed that alert in the Manual. Wonder how it knows I dont have my hands on the wheel (uhm).

I think that there is nothing sensitive enough in the wheel to measure tiny amount pressure you can apply to avoid the warning but the steering column is. I could test it by holding the wheel by the spoke but Id never considered that it might be in the wheel knowing how electric power steering (EPS) works. The column sensor is sensitive enough to know that no matter how straight the road is, there is always enough feedback from the wheels to need a correction of some sort to prevent the vehicle deviating from an intended course or even a straight line. So the sensor measures two ways, from the top to determine how much input is required to assist turning and from the bottom (road wheel feedback) to maintain course.

The attached pdf is from the KE model but works the same.

I think that there is nothing sensitive enough in the wheel to measure tiny amount pressure you can apply to avoid the warning but the steering column is. I could test it by holding the wheel by the spoke but I’d never considered that it might be in the wheel knowing how electric power steering (EPS) works. The column sensor is sensitive enough to know that no matter how straight the road is, there is always enough feedback from the wheels to need a correction of some sort to prevent the vehicle deviating from an intended course or even a straight line. So the sensor measures two ways, from the top to determine how much input is required to assist turning and from the bottom (road wheel feedback) to maintain course.

The attached pdf is from the KE model but works the same.

Try and steer with your knees to see if the alarm goes off (wink)

Kidding. Maintain safe control at all times :)

Could be the 2017's already have some hardware to allow more autonomous driving aids in the near future model years. Lane-keeping is already a thing on many luxo cars and that needs steering sensors.

Going about 35 briefly let my hands off wheel to check alignment was not pulling to left or right. After about 10 sec alarm comes on dash "keep Both Hands on Wheel". I must have missed that alert in the Manual. Wonder how it knows I dont have my hands on the wheel (uhm).

The G-vector system constantly measures steering wheel input. This is what's used to determine if your hands are off the wheel.

The G-vector system constantly measures steering wheel input. This is what's used to determine if your hands are off the wheel.

No it isn’t. The 2016.5 would issue the same warning and that didn’t have g vectoring.

Afraid G-Vectoring has no input in this what so ever

I have actually found the section in the manual that refers to the warning:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/tsd.mazdausa.com/Mazda_Owners_Manuals/2017/2017_CX5_OM.pdf

Page 4-140:

" If the driver takes his or her hands off
the steering wheel (not holding the
steering wheel), the warning sound is
activated and an alert is indicated in the
multi-information display or the active
driving display."

For some reason this is under the i-ACTIVSENSE section

" If the steering wheel is held lightly,
or depending on the road conditions,
the system may detect that you have
released the steering wheel (not holding
the steering wheel) even if you are
holding it, and display a message in the
multi-information display or the active
driving display"

I'm going to guess that since the car can keep you between the lines (albeit retroactively) and the collision system keeps the car from crashing into the one in front, Mazda figured that some drivers may try to have the thing drive itself.

My hunch (I also got the warning) is that car can detect the minute human inputs needed to keep the car in a relatively straight line. I'm going to experiment tomorrow. There's no way there are sensors around the entire rim of that steering wheel.

Back