SkyActiv-X Review, glimpse of possibly what to expect in future CX-5s

hmm you think I can purchase a Euro ECU from ebay or something and put into a North American CX-5 and take advantage of 91+ octane to get extra HP?

I can't say this for certain as I'm not a Mazda engineer. However, my educated guess here is that they've changed the crank shaft as the compression ratio is determined by difference between the top most and bottom most travel of the piston. You can change the effective compression ratio by leaving the intake valves open during part of the compression stroke which we know Mazda does. However, if it were simply that I think people would have figured that out already and unlocked higher compression via a tune. I think Mazda is just using that to move between Otto cycle when power is needed and miller for efficiency when under light load. VW is also doing this with their new b cycle 2.0T. Though I think VW is using exhaust not intake but either way it's doing the same thing to the effective compression ratio.

You know I was thinking about the different curves for the different octanes and there may be a simple explanation. There are 2 versions of the current SkyActiv G motor. One has a compression ration of 13:1 which is sold in the US and Australia and runs on 91 RON (87 octane). The other has a compression ratio of 14:1 which is sold in Europe and runs on 95 RON (91 octane). The one with the higher compression ratio does in fact produce a bit more power and torque. I suspect we may simply be seeing that they'll do the same thing with SkyActive X as they don't want to have to require premium in the US or Australia and I'm sure there are some other countries getting the lower octane version as well due to the fuel standards there.

So they're not showing two graphs of the same engine on different types but rather the two versions of the engine designed for two different fuel types respectively.

It's a good thing not to have a minimum fuel requirement of premium.

Generally speaking here in Oz land, unless it is tuned to run on only premium, we can use 91 RON (Regular), 93RON (E10), 95 RON (Premium) and 98 RON (Premium)

With tuning you can manipulate the timing but not change the compression ratio. Usually if you’re advancing timing aggressively it’s wise to use premium.

With tuning you can manipulate the timing but not change the compression ratio. Usually if you’re advancing timing aggressively it’s wise to use premium.
Thing is with exception of the 2.5L turbo, using premium here doesn't alter the power and torque levels

Right. What I’m saying is the version of the SkyActiv G that uses premium in Europe has a higher compression ratio and is taking advantage of it. This is not the same as what the tunes are doing.

And turbo engines generally can take advantage of higher octane in tuning as they can control how much extra fuel and air is crammed in.

The easiest way to increase compression ration is with a piston that is slightly higher which reduces the volume at top dead center which is likely the way Mazda did it. Someone with part number access could verify that the pistons are different part numbers for the different compression ratio engines. Then you can change the tune to get more power from higher octane gas.

Skyactive-X review and driving hands on

So its no longer spark-plug-less Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition, HCCI, anymore like originally planned by Mazda, but Spark Controlled Compression Ignition, SPCCI. Nevertheless its a nice break through by Mazda! (cool)

This looks good and this caught my attention:

"The end result is a 2.0L, four-cylinder engine, made from aluminum, that runs on 87 octane fuel but has a 30-percent increase in peak torque compared to the company's current Skyactiv-G unit. Because SPCCI releases so much energy in such a short amount of time, it pushes the pistons down with more force at low rpm, which means more torque and therefore more drivability. (You can run the engine on higher octane fuels, and it will adapt to shift the torque peak higher up the rev range.)"

I saw something elsewhere were someone at Mazda mentioned the performance benefits of the new engines and the potential for more sportier cars because of it.

Will the new engine “feature” cylinder deactivation when released?

I doubt it will.
Also SPCCI should give fuel benefits for the whole power band - resulting in better real world mpg numbers.

A 3 with 34 city and 50 highway and a 40 combined is really good.

Back