Why get AWD?

Looks like a wee deer. I've seen a ton on the property I am buying above, just driving out there for the showing.

Here is my likely new back yard. Just waiting on the bank to muddle through the process of the loan, etc. etc. etc. and get inspection done and fix any issues it reveals etc.

Disney will be round to collect them for the next Bambi movie (wink)

OP. Just because you may live somewhere it's not really necessary, doesn't mean plenty of others don't. Try driving the in Pittsburgh and surrounding areas in a bad winter storm. You'll never question why someone would buy AWD ever again. There's a reason why Uber has had self driving cars here for over a year and now Ford is opening a division in the burgh for development of self driving cars. We have the worst of the worst at times and our road system will make your eyes go crossed. If it can be done here it can pretty much be done anywhere else.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canton_Avenue

After my first experience with a Subaru and bad PA winter I'll never own a non 4wd or AWD as a only car ever again. Simple as that.

Guess OP is a proponent of AWD. Should have watched the video first. For the AWD deniers, my opinion still stands.

Last edited:
Personally I don't see any really safety advantage with AWD if You drive on normal roads and drive normally.
Good tires are much more important as well as controlling the throttle.
Remember AWD doesn't help the car to stay on the road during braking and cornering (which many people driving with AWD seems to forget).
Now if You go slightly of road, drive in a lot of snow or drive on very poor roads, AWD can very helpful (or even necessary).

while i agree with you mostly... yes it has alot to do with how you drive but 4wd assists in cornering if you are using the throttle to get out of it... but this is obviously for the sporty side of driving.. i have the awd and bought it mosly for peace of mind lol.. but its not bad at all

I don't think our AWD kicks in as often as some of you think it does.

Yea...it's like licks to get to the center of a Tootsie roll pop...the world may never know...

Yea...it's like licks to get to the center of a Tootsie roll pop...the world may never know...

I know. It kicks in a s*** ton. My car had the AWD disabled for a while, if you recall, and THAT experience is what changed my views of it. Spin city in the rain, etc. without it. The FWD cars don't have as much issue because they are geared for less torque off the line though, so you can't compare a FWD CX5 to an AWD CX5 operating in FWD only.

Personally I don't see any really safety advantage with AWD if You drive on normal roads and drive normally.
Good tires are much more important as well as controlling the throttle.
Remember AWD doesn't help the car to stay on the road during braking and cornering (which many people driving with AWD seems to forget).
Now if You go slightly of road, drive in a lot of snow or drive on very poor roads, AWD can very helpful (or even necessary).

+1

Yup... never had an issue with my FWD Mazda 6 regardless of weather conditions. It's all about the tires.

Was running LX20's with plenty of tread. Never driven a Mazda 6, can't comment on that drivetrain. I just know my CX5 lights em up without AWD, even on dry clean asphalt.

I don't really know how to tell if it kicks in during daily driving.
What if we add an LED or buzzer so that when the AWD Clutch pack is electrified, it would also alert the driver in the cabin?

It kicks in a lot. All you have to do is drive the two versions for a while back to back and you will notice the difference.

One thing that some folks here forget, is that when your front tires lose traction and are spinning or are locked up, you also have no steering... With AWD you never have to worry about this occurring.

With the tune I can get the Awd in full effect just from wot 1-2 (wot redline shift) and you can feel the steering lighter than normal as well. 255 performance tires on dry pavement.

One thing that some folks here forget, is that when your front tires lose traction and are spinning or are locked up, you also have no steering... With AWD you never have to worry about this occurring.

That's overstating it. You can easily get the fronts to lose traction on an AWD car. Not quite as easily as a FWD car of course, but AWD is not a get out of jail free card. When winter comes, I see AWD vehicles going off into the trees or a ditch as frequently as FWD and RWD.

That's overstating it. You can easily get the fronts to lose traction on an AWD car. Not quite as easily as a FWD car of course, but AWD is not a get out of jail free card. When winter comes, I see AWD vehicles going off into the trees or a ditch as frequently as FWD and RWD.
I believe the point he was trying to make is, since the Mazda i-Active AWD system will pre-empt the wheel spin and immediately route power to the rear tires, the front tires never spin, hence the front tires never get out of the traction circle and so you would still have some control over turning.

AWD doesn't make it so that the front tires never spin. AWD will reduce the occurrence of wheelspin, but there are still plenty of situations in which you can spin the front wheels, especially on low traction surfaces.

AWD won't fix stupid or lack of ability. It's not going to save a poor/stupid driver from themselves.

If you DO know how to drive in the snow (or other low traction surfaces), it IS a very useful tool for any of safety, traction, steering and yes, even fun if you're inclined.

Back