Mazda needs to do far better marketing on the CX-9

I saw something I had not seen...a car carrier, loaded up with 10 new CX-9 on the freeway.

Yes, they really are missing the marketing opportunity. Once people drive it, they love it.

I don't really understand what Mazda marketing guys are doing. CX-9 definitely needs marketing boost. Its sales numbers don't really match the excellence of the this vehicle.

Mazda Sales.JPG

Kinda sad that Mazda literally ran just one TV commercial in the US at launch. Although oddly, this is fairly common among all automakers. Some may run two. Usually though, not much is needed to create awareness of existing volume sellers. The CX-9 is a unique entry in the segment with low awareness and needs to be promoted for its many strengths. It's an important (and profitable) segment and Mazda should want a bigger piece of it.

Last edited:
The other problem is Mazda seemed to be limiting the amount of information reviewers could share. If you were trying to research the vehicle there wasn't much available.

No doubt. But they also need to fix its shortcomings. They can't go against the big sellers with just the better drivers tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No doubt. But they also need to fix its shortcomings. They can't go against the big sellers with just the better drivers tag.

What about all of its competitors fixing their shortcomings? The CX-9 does more things better than just driving dynamics.

I agree. It was the ads for the CX-9 that got me to notice Mazda when I had been looking at Audi, Lexus, Acura, etc. for an SUV. It is one beautiful, well-finished car, and I was just sorry we couldn't use something that big. Every time I see one on the road it stands out.

But it did get us into the Mazda dealership and got us into little brother CX-5! Glad they trickled down those design elements.

What about all of its competitors fixing their shortcomings? The CX-9 does more things better than just driving dynamics.

They don't need to. That highlander with bad Tupperware interiors and that pilot with horrific looks are still top sellers. Mazda being a small volume seller needs to bring the A game and offer superior value all round like Koreans started and now are almost going head to head.

Last edited:
They don't need to. That highlander with bad Tupperware interiors and that pilot with horrific looks are still top sellers.

Agreed, but I think Mazda is looking to create a new "premium" niche that shoots above Toyota and Honda and slightly below Lexus and Acura. I would have never considered a Toyota or Honda SUV. I think Mazda is smart creating their own niche because it has been successful in other industries, but their biggest challenge is that their price point still sits below the entry-level brands. It is a Catch 22. People associate low price points with cheap, but then if you raise prices to competitive levels like Cadillac you don't sell cars.

Disclaimer.. I only have an Accord in my sig because I leased it for my cousin to drive my mother around on errands.:p

Last edited:
K Pop

Yes the Koreans are coming!
The July issue of Consumer Reports has the CX 9 moving to fifth place; Highlander #1, Sorrento #2, Santa Fe #3, and Pilot #4.
CR bases this on thousands of owner surveys, their own road tests, ISHS crash test results, and predicted reliability (based again on owners' input, road tests, etc. of older versions).

Someone suggested Mazda should try to leapfrog the 9 to a premium level just below the Lexus.
Never going to happen. Mazda knows their place.
Some offered opinions on how the Highlander and ugly their adjective Pilot are somehow inferior to the new Mazda but can't provide any facts for their argument.

IMO, Mazda did make a mistake with the wide console and lack of adjustments in front seats which my test drive confirmed.
Felt too much like my CX 5.
If they can fix that and the turbo proves to be reliable, they will sell more 9s.
Maybe whenever they add Android Auto and Apple they will slightly modify their advertising.

First people who are buying a Lexus are not thinking about Mazda. They are not. The GX 460 is being compared to the Infinity Qx60. Both a big and ugly but exactly what people want. Big and a money statement. The people buying those cars don't care about driving dynamics or anything of the sort. They want heated steering wheels and cooling seats.

I think Mazda made a couple of mistakes with the CX-9. One that I believe is that they gave two HP numbers based upon the gas used. Bad idea. They should have just stated premium gas was required and the car has 250 HP and 310 lbs torque. In my test drive of the CX-9, I was really impressed. Felt just like our CX-5 but larger and better. Very nice and everything I wanted the CX-5 to be. We ended up with a mini-van (Odyssey) but the CX-9 was very competitive to the other cars we looked at (Highlander, Pilot, MDX).

And honesty, in that link, people talking about the reliability of toyota and Lexus need to get a grip. Nice cars with solid drivetrains but they have plenty of little problems, like most other car makers.

Last edited:
First people who are buying a Lexus are not thinking about Mazda. They are not. The GX 460 is being compared to the Infinity Qx60. Both a big and ugly but exactly what people want. Big and a money statement. The people buying those cars don't care about driving dynamics or anything of the sort. They want heated steering wheels and cooling seats.

I think Mazda made a couple of mistakes with the CX-9. One that I believe is that they gave two HP numbers based upon the gas used. Bad idea. They should have just stated premium gas was required and the car has 250 HP and 310 lbs torque. In my test drive of the CX-9, I was really impressed. Felt just like our CX-5 but larger and better. Very nice and everything I wanted the CX-5 to be. We ended up with a mini-van (Odyssey) but the CX-9 was very competitive to the other cars we looked at (Highlander, Pilot, MDX).

And honesty, in that link, people talking about the reliability of toyota and Lexus need to get a grip. Nice cars with solid drivetrains but they have plenty of little problems, like most other car makers.

No, most would never cross-shop a CX-9 against an LX460, but we did cross-shop the CX-5 against the Lexus NX, Audi Q5 and Acura RDX. The RDX was a non-starter due to cheaper feeling interior, we didn't like the looks of the NX and the Q5 was too similar to my A4. I felt the CX-5 stacked up nicely for a lot less change. So, yes, there are a few of us that Mazda has brought into the fold. Not many, but you can't say it isn't happening.

No, most would never cross-shop a CX-9 against an LX460, but we did cross-shop the CX-5 against the Lexus NX, Audi Q5 and Acura RDX. The RDX was a non-starter due to cheaper feeling interior, we didn't like the looks of the NX and the Q5 was too similar to my A4. I felt the CX-5 stacked up nicely for a lot less change. So, yes, there are a few of us that Mazda has brought into the fold. Not many, but you can't say it isn't happening.

Same here...came from a volvo cuv and cross shopped the Lexus and Acura or possibly another volvo but ended up with the CX9! 2yrs ago we almost pulled trigger on the NX then last year seriously looked at the RX but found it $10-15K more expensive than the CX9.

One reason the Highlander is at the top of Consumer Reports ratings is because it is the only mid-sized SUV that has forward collision warning and auto emergency braking as STANDARD equipment on ALL trim levels.
Mazda should do that too, IMO.
At least the 9 doesn't have some nutty new shifter like the Jeep.

Good points that I agree with in regards to the cars you mentioned. My comments were more aimed at the CX-9 and GX460, which are two different vehicles. When we were looking at a potentially mini-van replacement, we looked at the CX-9, the MDX, the Q7 and the like. Honestly, the CX-9 was really nice and right at the top. We ended up with another mini-van (you can't beat them for people carrying!) but the Mazda was just as nice, if not better than those others.

Among 3 row SUVs, there isn't a lot of choice, so it isn't surprising to see the CX-9 cross shopped against some of the premium brands.

I compared to MDX before I went with Mazda.

But I'm starting to see more CX-9s on the road here in Toronto. Almost every day I see at least one other on the road.

Among 3 row SUVs, there isn't a lot of choice, so it isn't surprising to see the CX-9 cross shopped against some of the premium brands.

I compared to MDX before I went with Mazda.

But I'm starting to see more CX-9s on the road here in Toronto. Almost every day I see at least one other on the road.

I guess people are now starting to catch on...which is a good thing for Mazda!

Back