US Diesel's big splash introduction

Looking at a Land Cruiser with this beast of a V8 diesel. The CX-5 would go with this in......

IMG_0434.jpg

No it wouldn't. Too much weight up front (rofl)

You are exaggerating. I own both.

V6 RAV4 is by no means a POS to drive. (I have the Sport model with 18" wheels and 235mm tires)

It will easily out corner my CX-5. It just doesn't provide much feedback while doing it.
In the RAV4, no matter how sharp you turn, you don't really feel anything other than the G force. The tires just grip with zero drama.
No tire squeal, zero under-steer, and the CUV just goes around the corner faster than it should.
Unlike the CX-5, braking and accelerating in the RAV4 have no impact on the line it takes through the corner.

Unlike the CX-5, it's not fun to drive the RAV4 on mountain roads, but it confidently gets the job done.

OK- maybe I was a bit too harsh and my data/memory on it is pretty old. Not sure if one I drove was sport model or not I just remember being rather unimpressed but my expectations might have been too high- we were looking for my wife ended up getting her Forester XT 5MT which didn't handle worth its motor either but was definitely more fun if a little less useful overall...ie too small once that kid came along.

Last edited:
I must admit the Carina 2 I had was a terrible car re the handling, a lot of understeer, mainly I believe to the Bridgestone tyres it used, but still a quality car.

Toyota is know for boring cars. Thank goodness Mazda isn't

I must admit the Carina 2 I had was a terrible car re the handling, a lot of understeer, mainly I believe to the Bridgestone tyres it used, but still a quality car.

No argument regarding quality, just very dull

Has anybody tried installing a turbo timer for the diesel? I plan to install one.
You don't need one on a modern turbocharged engine. If you were driving hard just before you reached your destination, like you were going WOT or max boost a minute or two before stopping in the parking lot, then let it run for like 30 seconds before turning it off. Otherwise, it is easier and less expensive to just drive calmly the last 5 minutes before you reach your destination, then you just can just turn off the engine immediately.

agreed.
I don't see the need for a turbo timer on these cars.

that brings up an interesting question: anyone know the size of these little snails and what the PSI range is?
1. I can't imagine these turbos are very big, sequentials usually aren't
2. I would imagine boost levels are quite conservative with stock tuning.

True, unfortunately a lot of cars are close to 70. I found a few cars that were as quiet or even quieter than the CX5.

'17 Mercedes E400 Wagon 67 dB
'17 Volvo V90 Wagon 68 dB
'18 Acura TLX 67 dB
'17 Lexus RX350 67 dB
'18 Audi S5 65 dB
'17 Audi A4 Allroad 66 dB
'17 GMC Acadia 67 dB
'17 BMW 540i 64 dB
'17 Cadillac CTS 66 dB
'17 Mercedes S550 66 dB
'17 Mercedes Maybach S550 63 dB

'17 Mazda 3 72 dB(wow)

The new CX-5 scores very well, beating most modern sedans and it's right there with the Bentley. They did a really good job with this car.

I'd be curious as to how they test these. I find radical differences depending on pavement, wind, speed, etc. My CX-5 performs really well in some scenarios and bad in others, like my commute. It's one of the crimes of the buying process: that you can't take the car you plan to buy on a 4 hour drive where you drive all of the time. Heck, even the test drive has been corrupted to be part of the selling process.

The new CX-5 scores very well, beating most modern sedans and it's right there with the Bentley. They did a really good job with this car.

I'd be curious as to how they test these. I find radical differences depending on pavement, wind, speed, etc. My CX-5 performs really well in some scenarios and bad in others, like my commute. It's one of the crimes of the buying process: that you can't take the car you plan to buy on a 4 hour drive where you drive all of the time. Heck, even the test drive has been corrupted to be part of the selling process.

I'd definitely take the numbers with a large grain of salt... doesn't seem like their methods are very good at all.

Sound Level
Vehicle noise that makes its way into the passenger compartment can greatly affect a car's character. To measure it, we use a hand-held Brüel & Kjær Type 2236 sound-level meter. First, we use the VBOX to determine the speedometer reading that corresponds to a true 70 mph. Then we position the microphone close to the driver's right ear and measure the sound at idle, at full throttle, and when cruising at 70 mph. Sound level is measured in decibels with the A-weighting scale (dBA), and we average the sound level in two directions to minimize the effect of wind. And as you'd expect, the higher the number, the louder the noise.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-does-c-d-test-cars

Thanks for the additional information.

I guess if they measure it using the same scenario each time at least it's a relative score. It's sort of like the scale being off, as long as it's off in the same direction each time, and goes down you are losing weight.

Of course the cars themselves have all kinds of variability. You often can't even be sure you are getting the same tires from vehicle to vehicle and you definitely don't between trim levels, so a quiet Touring might be a noisy Grand Touring.

True, unfortunately a lot of cars are close to 70. I found a few cars that were as quiet or even quieter than the CX5.

'17 Mercedes E400 Wagon 67 dB
'17 Volvo V90 Wagon 68 dB
'18 Acura TLX 67 dB
'17 Lexus RX350 67 dB
'18 Audi S5 65 dB
'17 Audi A4 Allroad 66 dB
'17 GMC Acadia 67 dB
'17 BMW 540i 64 dB
'17 Cadillac CTS 66 dB
'17 Mercedes S550 66 dB
'17 Mercedes Maybach S550 63 dB

'17 Mazda 3 72 dB(wow)

It would be neat to put the cost next to each of those cars. I mean to get to 63 db, you REALY have to pay for it! :)

It would be neat to put the cost next to each of those cars. I mean to get to 63 db, you REALY have to pay for it! :)

A 2017 Audi A4 will do it. You can get one around $40K depending on features, which can put it over 50. You could also get a used one which would probably be under 40. This, actually, is the closest thing I've seen to a perfect car. It's just not the right car.

A 2017 Audi A4 will do it. You can get one around $40K depending on features, which can put it over 50. You could also get a used one which would probably be under 40. This, actually, is the closest thing I've seen to a perfect car. It's just not the right car.

Me, I have always loved the Audi Allroad - but very expensive and again, the reliability and maintenance concerns keep me away. But boy, I like the look.

Coming from a 2016 CX-5, you will actually notice that it is quieter inside a 2017 CX-5 in city and highway driving.

Coming from a 2016 CX-5, you will actually notice that it is quieter inside a 2017 CX-5 in city and highway driving.

When I test drove the 2017 it was noticeable sitting in the parking lot with the engine running.

That was one of 3 things that stood out for me. The second was that it seemed heavier. It is, but not that I'd notice it, it was likely due to the car simply being softer on the road than my 2015.

The third thing was a turn I made coming off the off ramp. It was weird because on the one hand I remember being perturbed because it seemed like it stopped me turning sooner than I wanted, at the same time, it was like the smoothest turn I'd ever made in a CX-5.

I came really close to upgrading. If I didn't have a 0% interest loan, and the car was just a bit better I'd have done it. Heck, I filled out the online form to contact my salesman but I got no response and it saved me.

Now, I await the diesel.

When I test drove the 2017 it was noticeable sitting in the parking lot with the engine running.

That was one of 3 things that stood out for me. The second was that it seemed heavier. It is, but not that I'd notice it, it was likely due to the car simply being softer on the road than my 2015.

The third thing was a turn I made coming off the off ramp. It was weird because on the one hand I remember being perturbed because it seemed like it stopped me turning sooner than I wanted, at the same time, it was like the smoothest turn I'd ever made in a CX-5.

I came really close to upgrading. If I didn't have a 0% interest loan, and the car was just a bit better I'd have done it. Heck, I filled out the online form to contact my salesman but I got no response and it saved me.

Now, I await the diesel.
I'm eagerly waiting for the diesel as well. I'm not upside down on our 2016 CX-5 loan, so we can trade it in, but I'll most likely wait till it gets paid off then trade it in. To people looking for a new CX-5, I would heartily recommend the 2017 over the 2016 even with the price drops on the 2016.

Back