Two things holding me back

Drove CX-5 again tonight.

Dang it... might have to pull trigger on it.

Definitely quieter cabin
good radio
drives well
engine doesn't sound too stressed when flooring it

....it gets in your blood, man. Join ussssss.

LOL

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Drove CX-5 again tonight.

Dang it... might have to pull trigger on it.

Definitely quieter cabin
good radio
drives well
engine doesn't sound too stressed when flooring it

Sounds like you are on the right track. I'm totally objective because we have an Audi A4 and an Infiniti G37 Convertible, and we are trading the G37 for something with more utility. I recently leased a '16 Accord for my cousin and had a great sales experience, so it would be natural for us to go back to the same dealer for a CR-V. But, the CR-V feels like a step below the CX-5 IMO both inside and outside, and the CX-5 is a step above the G37 in fit/finish and comes close to the Audi. And I can't believe how quiet it is. I guess the fact that it looks and drives more Audi-like is what drew me to the CX-5. We will be getting it this week.

True, the Accord does have Apple and Android Carplay, but that isn't a deciding feature for me.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are on the right track. I'm totally objective because we have an Audi A4 and an Infiniti G37 Convertible, and we are trading the G37 for something with more utility. I recently leased a '16 Accord for my cousin and had a great sales experience, so it would be natural for us to go back to the same dealer for a CR-V. But, the CR-V feels like a step below the CX-5 IMO both inside and outside, and the CX-5 is a step above the G37 in fit/finish and comes close to the Audi. And I can't believe how quiet it is. I guess the fact that it looks and drives more Audi-like is what drew me to the CX-5. We will be getting it this week.

True, the Accord does have Apple and Android Carplay, but that isn't a deciding feature for me.

I currently own a 2013 RDX and the CX-5 is definitely on the same level of niceness on the interior.

I'm being objective as well I believe because even tho I owned a twin turbo RX7 and currently a Mazda3 I have also owned a 96 Accord, a 94 Eclipse, a 03 Acura CL-S, a 99 Toyota Soarer, and a 00 Audi S4. (no american cars tho)

Read every one of his post. I agree with you on the diesel and adding a petrol turbo. Heck I think I was the first to say the diesel IMO wouldn't sell well, and I got belittled and told I was spreading false information. Lol
I've been saying the same thing that offering Mazda's excellent SA-D diesel engine for US market at this time is 4 years too late! Timing is important. This's not a right time for diesel engines, not to mention the added maintenance overhead、higher diesel fuel price in many areas、and about $2,800 price tag on a new diesel CX-5. It's going to be a tough sell!

I agree the diesel would have had a bigger impact if it was introduced before the VW scandal. But I still want one. I would take the 2.5T from the CX-9 if they offered it, but I still have a slight preference for the diesel. I'm surprised at the lack of enthusiasm on this forum, and in general the outdated views people have about diesels.

I agree the diesel would have had a bigger impact if it was introduced before the VW scandal. But I still want one. I would take the 2.5T from the CX-9 if they offered it, but I still have a slight preference for the diesel. I'm surprised at the lack of enthusiasm on this forum, and in general the outdated views people have about diesels.

Outdated views. Lol far from it. My view on diesel has nothing to do with the tarnished image created by VW.

A lot of people have outdated views on them.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I don't know anything about turbos and have never driven them.

I guess I can say the same for diesel.

By "outdated" I'm referring to the old conventional wisdom that diesels are stinky, smoky, clattery, hard starting, and slow revving. I think that's because most Americans' only experiences with diesel are with the old large displacement truck engines. Among modern small displacement diesels, the only one I've driven that exhibited any of those characteristics was a BMW 118d which was a bit clattery and slow revving with a lot of flywheel.

The 2.5T would be fine with me as well.

I'm shopping compact SUVs although my purchase timeframe is about 10 months away, and both the CX-5 and CR-V are on my short list. But the following two things would really hold me back on the CX-5 -- one important and the other less so.

1) Lack of Android Auto, although I keep hearing that it will get here and probably be retrofitted to existing '17 CX-5s.

2) We also have a 2015 Mazda 3 S-GT, which we really like. But from what I've seen of the CX-5 inside and outside, it would seem that we had two different versions of the same car: one low-slung and the other jacked up! Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I've always liked some variety in my vehicles. What's more, our 3 is in Solar Red and the CX-5 is always shown in a color that is very close to that. Two red sort-of-lookalike Mazdas in the same garage? Not sure if I could handle that. (rolleyes)

So you want Android Auto right now + a SUV which does not look like nor resemble anything in terms of driving and design as with your Mazda3? Well then get the CRV as with many other cars meets both criteria.

That said why haven't you gotten the CRV? What are the things regarding the CRV holding you back?

On Diesel - I have been a critic.
This past weekend drove to a state park nearby and purposely took inner roads - Farm to Market types
On this one road- up and down there was a truck behind me. I would lose it when going downhill and it would catch up going uphill easily.
So really hilly terrain owners might looking for Diesels because Torque = will find diesel good. But I dont know if there are too many Mazda dealerships in rural America. Whenever I drive my CX-5 to inner parts I stick like a sore thumb.
I do see the odd hyundai / BMW etc. But these folks never seen a Mazda it seems.

If you really live in the hill country - you will appreciate the diesel for better FE and the torque. But there are not many dealers unless you are near Colo Springs or Denver etc.

That said why haven't you gotten the CRV? What are the things regarding the CRV holding you back?
He has a thread in the CRV forums - "Forty Two things holding me back." - I suggest you read that.

Loving all the posts stating a preference for the CX-5, with a disclaimer of objectivity.

"I had a mazda 5 years ago and a honda 2 years ago. My opinion is so objective!"

Loving all the posts stating a preference for the CX-5, with a disclaimer of objectivity.

"I had a mazda 5 years ago and a honda 2 years ago. My opinion is so objective!"

It does seem that some folks think we can't be objective simply because we already own a Mazda. Never mind we've most likely had numerous different makes/models during our lifetimes.

Then, to come onto a Mazda forum, ask for advice, and then nullify it because it cannot be objective due to owner bias?

(crazy)

Back