2017 CX-5: Initial Review

how's the '17 CX-5 LED headlights compare to the 2016 CX-9's, the CX-9's look amazing (i'm assuming CX-5 uses the same system) it's got very good distance, even light spread no hotspots, and nice sharp cutoff,

that HUD seems a bit high and distracting though.....it's like right dead center of the car in front.... maybe it's just they have it adjusted too high or something.....

Last edited:
Yeah, that HUD is adjusted way too high for my liking. I have mine set so it's "on the ground" between my hood and the car in front of me when driving (and when stopped, it'll overlap their bumper because of the closer spacing when stopped at a red light or stop sign).

That's probably because of the placement of the camera. Since the camera is set low the HUD angles high. Like putting your seat to the floor.

I'm sure the aftermarket will catch up with wiper availability. Will just take a bit of time.

After my experience with the full I-activesense suite in my '17 3 that was priority for us for us in the new car. Simply wouldn't buy a car without all of the available safety options.

The faux leather / suede type interior on our incoming GS (in Canada, touring elsewhere) was surprisingly nice - essentially we didn't hate it LOL. Just hoping the fabric in the seat centers is easy enough to keep clean as we know leather when maintained is relatively easy to clean up. No kids yet, but have a dog, and grandparents to shuffle around.

HUD is nice to have, but not a requirement for us. My favorite feature of that in my 3 GT is the traffic sign recognition for the speed limit signs. I frequently jump ship from the highway to the back roads and having that info up there when you can sometimes forget what the last sign you saw was is damn awesome. Despite having it in the 3 it wasn't enough for us to want to go any further upmarket in the CX-5 than where we were at.

The GS with the comfort and i-activesense packages here in Canada hit all our requirements with a rather pleasant interior (base GS), the upgraded gauge cluster (w/ I-activesense), advanced keyless entry (w/ comfort), sunroof (w/ comfort), auto climate control (W/ comfort) all the safety bits ( w/ I-activesense) combined with that Mazda handling and completely adequate power for daily driver duties. And that styling - She's a looker inside and out.

how's the '17 CX-5 LED headlights compare to the 2016 CX-9's, the CX-9's look amazing (i'm assuming CX-5 uses the same system) it's got very good distance, even light spread no hotspots, and nice sharp cutoff,

that HUD seems a bit high and distracting though.....it's like right dead center of the car in front.... maybe it's just they have it adjusted too high or something.....

Ha! That is my video.

The Active Driving Display (ADD) was set to its default position in the 2016 Mazda CX-9 I was driving. The "camera" was my Samsung Galaxy S6 setup in a https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned). I did not configure the ADD position for what I like best. I was just trying to shoot reference video for an agency to use.

Ha! That is my video.

The Active Driving Display (ADD) was set to its default position in the 2016 Mazda CX-9 I was driving. The "camera" was my Samsung Galaxy S6 setup in a https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned). I did not configure the ADD position for what I like best. I was just trying to shoot reference video for an agency to use.

You can adjust the height of the ADD in the Settings pane.

Very, very glad I did not go with the CR-V.

This should be pinned so folks coming here comparing CRV to CX-5 can make their decision quickly. Imho - saw a few CR-Vs - The chrome on the outside is so wannabe ghetto types. As i predicted, chinese sellers on eBay selling chrome trims will not come near a 17 CR-V as all the unnecessary bling comes from factory.

Ha! That is my video.

Good video. And yes the height of HUD can be adjusted.

If say a go pro on a helmet was used, it might have actually not have appeared as high up on the screen as it would have been pretty much exactly how a driver would be seeing it from their seat.

Yes, I've confirmed that the brake lights do come on when using the adaptive cruise and it's slowing in city traffic. That was one of my concerns at first too.

Pipemajor, joe6864, I consider myself to be very safety conscious, but haven't thought of this scenario before. Thanks!

Now if someone can find out if the same applies when brake is engaged via Autohold... (Good question Xeler8ing!)

Cons:
- Non-lighted window and lock buttons. The CX-5 is pretty dark below the dash line. It's an odd omission to me, but you get used to it.

I agree with you on that.

Sorry to hear about the noise you mentioned like others have reported here. I don't have this problem with my 2017.

I agree with you on that.

Sorry to hear about the noise you mentioned like others have reported here. I don't have this problem with my 2017.
I really am crossing my fingers it's nothing major. Of course, if you search the forums some CX-5 owners reported transmission replacements because of a similar noise. I can't help but fear the worst...which will really sour my experience. But, I'm hoping for an easy fix. Again, a couple clicks on the stereo and you can't hear it, but I'm OCD about new car noises.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I really am crossing my fingers it's nothing major. Of course, if you search the forums some CX-5 owners reported transmission replacements because of a similar noise. I can't help but fear the worst...which will really sour my experience. But, I'm hoping for an easy fix. Again, a couple clicks on the stereo and you can't hear it, but I'm OCD about new car noises.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I wouldn't worry too much about it. The gearbox is the same one used in the 3 & 6. I've had my 6 for a few years and no issues with the gearbox

Hi everyone, I'd like to provide my initial review of our CX-5. We have only had it for a few weeks, but first impressions are everything [emoji2].
- Front seat bolstering and lumbar. I'm spoiled by Sport seats in my car with adjustable bolstering so that's why I notice even more, but the bolstering isn't great. They're much better than my sisters new model Escape which are basically bolster-less, but your body will certainly shift when cornering. Not a concern for around town. Also, the lumbar is pathetic (a true gripe). It simply doesn't extend as far as it should.
This is a minor issue even with the 2016 models. Not enough bolstering for when you take corners aggressively. I believe they did this to accommodate bigger folks who might purchase the vehicle.

Good review from OP and everyone else who chimed in. It is very encouraging to hear. Just waiting till the diesel engine becomes available to test drive one. That said, from the sound of the reviews on here, people are enjoying the 2017 CX-5 with the NA 2.5 engine.

Really? I found the seat bolstering in my 2016 (Touring, so with cloth seats) about the most in any of the CUVs I looked at.

Latest posts

Back