2017 CX-5: Initial Review

It would be interesting to see a Signature trim for the CX-5 with a nicer interior color combination and all the features available worldwide. I'm just guessing, but perhaps the reason why they don't offer something like this is that their market research indicates that the GT trim is at the highest price point the midsize CUV market will bear, especially with a non-turbo 4 cyl engine. If they sweeten it by offering the 2.5T and the price is in the high 30s, then it has to compete directly with the CX-9 and how many buyers are going to buy the smaller car?

I think they dropped the ball a bit by making the Signature trim level in the CX-9 only cosmetically different from the GT, and leaving out several features that are common in the top of the segment. In the 3-row CUV class you have Acadia Denalis, Explorer Platinums, and Enclaves with MSRPs over $50k and Pilots and Highlanders topping out in the high 40s. So they had price room to offer a CX-9 that was truly loaded.

Totally agree. We would have paid more for a CX-5 with Signature trim (maybe Auburn leather like the CX-9). I love the CX-9, but it isn't on the radar because we don't need a vehicle that big.

Totally agree. We would have paid more for a CX-5 with Signature trim (maybe Auburn leather like the CX-9). I love the CX-9, but it isn't on the radar because we don't need a vehicle that big.

Isn't that Nappa leather (scratch)

Maybe $$$ was the hindrance to having it as an option on the CX-5 (uhm)

I'm somehow stopping you from enjoying your car? LOL, go out and enjoy your car bro, don't let me stop you. I'm just stating facts, not complaints. It's not that serious.

Honda does offer HUD, in addition to a Panoramic sunroof in certain markets for the 2017 CRV. Besides, I thought we were over this 'feature vs feature' stuff weeks ago. But since you were wrong about Honda not offering a HUD in the CRV, ill re-raise you with Apple CarPlay.(outie)

My searching skills are not up to speed today, do You have a link showing the Honda HUD?
I can't find anything regarding Honda offering HUD in any car.

I don't have little tax-credits running around the house. Nor have I sat 3 across in the back of my previous CX5. Generally I do leave the arm rest down when my college age kids ride in the back. So the placement is rather convenient in my case. I don't miss schlepping around baby seats. (rofl2)(rlaugh)

I don't have little tax-credits running around the house. Nor have I sat 3 across in the back of my previous CX5. Generally I do leave the arm rest down when my college age kids ride in the back. So the placement is rather convenient in my case. I don't miss schlepping around baby seats. (rofl2)(rlaugh)
3 adults in the rear for short trips but anything longer and it probably won't be comfortable

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

So I know it is still early and not a lot of people have the new CX-5s yet, but how is the transmission on the new CX-5s?

I'm on my 2nd transmission after the first one was replaced under warranty and it seems to be acting up. Downshifting to 2nd and 3rd when going WOT seems rough. I'm going to have it checked again, but this is making me think about trading it in for a 2017 model.

So I know it is still early and not a lot of people have the new CX-5s yet, but how is the transmission on the new CX-5s?

I'm on my 2nd transmission after the first one was replaced under warranty and it seems to be acting up. Downshifting to 2nd and 3rd when going WOT seems rough. I'm going to have it checked again, but this is making me think about trading it in for a 2017 model.

Well too early to say if 17 Transmission will be bulletproof - but its almost same as 16.5. So far with 17 there are fitment issues, DRL issue - but 16 has windshield issues - if tranny is your biggest concern both 16 and 17 are same.
I would strongly recommend 17 with Touring over 16 GT. If you can stand the look of 17.

Well too early to say if 17 Transmission will be bulletproof - but its almost same as 16.5. So far with 17 there are fitment issues, DRL issue - but 16 has windshield issues - if tranny is your biggest concern both 16 and 17 are same.
I would strongly recommend 17 with Touring over 16 GT. If you can stand the look of 17.
Tranny is my main concern really. I don't care for the 2017 GT wheels but if I were to trade in for a 2017, it has to be a GT since I really like to get the driver memory seat settings and retain the other GT goodies. I am not upside down on my car loan with the CX-5, but simply trading it in right now without a down payment would raise my monthly payment. So I'm willing to wait it out for maybe a year to give time for my car's trade in value to build up. I just wish the transmission would hold up till then or that this is just a motor mount issue.

Sour grapes me thinks....

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

Its actually a real condition called Small Sour Mango Syndrome in which you add con chili to really small mangos. To compensate from SSMS the subject may purchase an SUV with larger interior space, larger seats, and larger cup holders and then display superiority behavior over others. This condition is treatable and will subside by purchasing a Mazda. If left untreated the superiority behavior increases while the mango decreases. If you or your loved ones show signs of SSMS please call the national Save-the-Manuals hotline or your local Mazda dealership today.

Mangos ummm.mangos.
http://www.lovefoodeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/mangosaaru_2.jpg

vs

The average male CX-5 owners..mangos
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2700/4313197369_3ddaf8c3d8_b.jpg

Tranny is my main concern really. I don't care for the 2017 GT wheels but if I were to trade in for a 2017, it has to be a GT since I really like to get the driver memory seat settings and retain the other GT goodies. I am not upside down on my car loan with the CX-5, but simply trading it in right now without a down payment would raise my monthly payment. So I'm willing to wait it out for maybe a year to give time for my car's trade in value to build up. I just wish the transmission would hold up till then or that this is just a motor mount issue.

Your profile says you have 16 CX5? is that the one you were trading in or the 13 3?
yeah i pointed out that great deals on 16s can be had - but a 17 even in lower trim is better. If you want memory seats 17 GT is way to go.

Your profile says you have 16 CX5? is that the one you were trading in or the 13 3?
yeah i pointed out that great deals on 16s can be had - but a 17 even in lower trim is better. If you want memory seats 17 GT is way to go.
It would be the 2016 CX-5 that I would trade in. I'm keeping the Speed3 until a suitable replacement comes along. I've been telling Mazda to get working on a Mazdaspeed6 but they're busy with other stuff LOL. Anyway, when we bought our 2016 CX-5, my wife was looking for features that didn't exist yet, like power passenger seats, rear AC vents, driver memory seats. We purchased our 2016 CX-5 anyway even without those features because at that time, it was still the best CUV available. Now the 2017 has all those features, plus the full-on start and stop radar cruise control which I think really makes the 2017 a solid buy, especially for new buyers.

The backup sensors can be added :)
It's been said before, dealer-installed back-up sensors for CX-5 in US is a much inferior stand-alone system comparing to integrated factory back-up sensors. The factory one is integrated with infotainment screen showing a graph along with rear-view camera in addition to be able to beep you. Of course even our rear-view camera is inferior as others have additional predictive curve line associated with the steering wheel angle. That's why you need to see both of them in action together then you know how much we missed from many nice features we can't get.

Totally agree. Once people here have a chance to see what the "integrated" front and rear parking sensor can do on Euro CX-5, they really should doubt what are Mazda North American Operations thinking to give US customers a different after-thought crappy rear parking sensors as dealer-installed accessory! Mazda itself has many advanced and nice features like those luxury vehicles offered, but it's MNAO who made the decision not to give us the best Mazda could offer.

The transmission is more than likely fine. As previously stated either in this thread or another one, this transmission has been used in pretty much every other Mazda since 2012/2013 and it's a pretty reliable and sturdy unit.

Yes not all of them will work well as in your case but AFAIK there is no wide spread complaints about it.

I haven't seen anyone mention this yet, but for me the driver's seat is DEFINITELY an improvement over my previous (which was 6-way adjustable, so no slouch) because it is actually HIGHER within the vehicle. When I sit, it's almost chair height - meaning my knee is at a 90 degree angle when my left foot is flat on the floorboard. This is a huge improvement... all other vehicles (especially CARS/Sedans) my knee is bent if I set my foot down flat. This meant I had to use the dead pedal to stretch my leg out out some, and then my leg was leaning left against the car door. not the case here. I can set my foot down flat, comfortably. So... for me that translates into no more creaky knees because of an awkward sitting angle :)

Also means no weird flexing to get in and out - remember how I had asked before about running boards? Well, I don't need them to "unfold" properly when getting out of the car, so that's an added plus!

Hooray! Love that.

I haven't seen anyone mention this yet, but for me the driver's seat is DEFINITELY an improvement over my previous (which was 6-way adjustable, so no slouch) because it is actually HIGHER within the vehicle. When I sit, it's almost chair height - meaning my knee is at a 90 degree angle when my left foot is flat on the floorboard. This is a huge improvement... all other vehicles (especially CARS/Sedans) my knee is bent if I set my foot down flat. This meant I had to use the dead pedal to stretch my leg out out some, and then my leg was leaning left against the car door. not the case here. I can set my foot down flat, comfortably. So... for me that translates into no more creaky knees because of an awkward sitting angle :)

Also means no weird flexing to get in and out - remember how I had asked before about running boards? Well, I don't need them to "unfold" properly when getting out of the car, so that's an added plus!

Hooray! Love that.

My knees have been bothering me the past couple years but I finally corrected it. Turns out I have naturally high arches in my soles. I've been using shoes+cushion soles with high arches. It wasn't until I switched to Puma racing/driving shoes did the pain go away since their soles are flat meaning I keep my nature arch intact. I feel for women that wear high heels now. It may look good but it could mess up your alignment.

Hooray! Love that.

If I am not mistaken, I saw a clip of a tester who is 6"3 and they seemed to be comfortable in the drivers seat.

Back