2017 CX-5: Initial Review

CLN

:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD Premium
Hi everyone, I'd like to provide my initial review of our CX-5. We have only had it for a few weeks, but first impressions are everything [emoji2].

Pros:
- The exterior is gorgeous. I think it's one of the nicest styled vehicles on the road. From Ford to Ferrari, the new body is a head turner. We have the Grand Touring with Preferred Equipment Package in red. The chopped off front end, how the roof line slopes and pinches towards the back of the car is striking.

- The dash is great. Very clean and clutter free. I love how they put the controls and volumes right where you rest your hand.

- The steering wheel. Very nicely sculpted and ergonomic. They didn't cheap out here and that's good to see considering this is a focal point of the driving experience. That's what bothered me about a Ford I used to own...hand a thin, plain circular wheel.

- Sound system. Very good, albeit bassy. I have a Bose system in my Infiniti and, as expected, both are a bit different. I found that the bass setting in our CX-5 can't be above 0. It's particular bassy if you're riding in the back seat. A good thing for bass lovers, I guess! We stream everything over Bluetooth and the system reproduces everything nicely.

- Safety features. Wow. The lane assist, auto high beams, adaptive front LED headlights, radar cruise control. These all made the car an easy choice at 34k MSRP. My Infiniti has none of these and I'm glad my wife has these.

- HUD: this is awesome. This could go under safety and I'll tell you why. First, there's definitely a learning curve. Both my wife and I didn't "like" it at first...thought it was a distraction. But, like new contacts or glasses, your brain and eyes learn. It's very helpful to avoid speeding. I'm a lead-foot and in my car, I'm always hovering too far above the limit. An analog speedometer below your eyesight line is easy to lose track of. But, with the HUD, I'm much more aware of when I should back off the gas pedal.

There are more Pros, but since this is about first impressions, I'll leave it at that for now.

Cons:

- Front seat bolstering and lumbar. I'm spoiled by Sport seats in my car with adjustable bolstering so that's why I notice even more, but the bolstering isn't great. They're much better than my sisters new model Escape which are basically bolster-less, but your body will certainly shift when cornering. Not a concern for around town. Also, the lumbar is pathetic (a true gripe). It simply doesn't extend as far as it should.

- Non-lighted window and lock buttons. The CX-5 is pretty dark below the dash line. It's an odd omission to me, but you get used to it.

- This shouldn't apply to every vehicle, but I have noticed a low volume, high frequency noise between 25 MPH and 60 MPH (when wind noise and road noise drown things out). It's not throttle dependent. I'm going to dealer Thursday. You can check out my other thread for me info. Curious if other owners notice anything as more 2017s are acquired.

Overall, very enjoyable car thus far! Cheers!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Thanks for the review!

What are your thoughts about its performance and NVH?

Thanks for the review!

What are your thoughts about its performance and NVH?

NVH - zero complaints. Before purchasing, and after reading reviews on the 2017, it was clear that this was an area for improvement from the pre-2017 models. It's a pleasant cabin to be in.

Engine performance - coming from a 3.0 twin turbo, I'm not expecting a rocketship, but I'm very pleased with performance. They tuned the engine just right. I was afraid of a wailing, RPM-needy four cylinder. But, it's smooth and has a great engine note. With that said, this CUV is certainly tilted to performance. When on the accelerator, the engine prompts sporty thoughts. It's not an isolated experience like I'd imagine a Toyota to be. Also, this car is fairly stiffly-sprung. The car responds right away to bumps in the road. Again, this is a combination for a sporty demeanor. No floatiness here...depends what you're looking for, but I imagine most Mazda buyers are looking for this. I could also imagine this combination without the NVH improvements in the 2017 model would grow a little coarse on the owner.

NVH - zero complaints. Before purchasing, and after reading reviews on the 2017, it was clear that this was an area for improvement from the pre-2017 models. It's a pleasant cabin to be in.

Engine performance - coming from a 3.0 twin turbo, I'm not expecting a rocketship, but I'm very pleased with performance. They tuned the engine just right. I was afraid of a wailing, RPM-needy four cylinder. But, it's smooth and has a great engine note. With that said, this CUV is certainly tilted to performance. When on the accelerator, the engine prompts sporty thoughts. It's not an isolated experience like I'd imagine a Toyota to be. Also, this car is fairly stiffly-sprung. The car responds right away to bumps in the road. Again, this is a combination for a sporty demeanor. No floatiness here...depends what you're looking for, but I imagine most Mazda buyers are looking for this. I could also imagine this combination without the NVH improvements in the 2017 model would grow a little coarse on the owner.

The CX-5 has always been titled towards sporty Zoom Zoom feeling. Infact, Zoom Zoom is still the marketing jingle here for Mazda.

Good to know that the car doesn't feel like a slug when on the move.

Brought mine home tonight and... the I-Activesense technology is pretty awesome.

I came from a 2015 Grand Touring w/Tech pkg so not a huge change but... it feels like much more than a 2 year jump in technology. I managed to get my phone paired but haven't found how to turn off the radio.

Radar cruise control is wonderful. We drove my wife's 2010 Camry Hybrid on a 120 mile trip and I got tired of continually having to blip the speed up or down. Mazda's MRCC with Stop/Go does work. I had my foot hovering over the brake to test if the car would come to a complete stop. It does but... do the brake lights tell the drivers behind you you're stopping?

Active Display is really worth the entire Premium Package price (well, the heated steering wheel will come in handy in another 8 months). It's not like you have to focus at a display on the windscreen as I am an older driver (65) and wear bifocals. The HUD image appears to be out at the leading edge of the hood. I got a chance to try out the autodimming LED headlights. They work pretty well but are kept busy with street lights and even reflective street signs affecting the high/low action. I liked my HIDs in the '15 GT w/Tech but think I'm sold on LEDs.

Will spend the next several days setting up all the usual homelink, nav and other amenities.

BTW, without the added tech, the car drives wonderfully. Sport mode is kinda fun.

Very, very glad I did not go with the CR-V.

Last edited:
Brought mine home tonight and... the I-Activesense technology is pretty awesome.

I came from a 2015 Grand Touring w/Tech pkg so not a huge change but... it feels like much more than a 2 year jump in technology. I managed to get my phone paired but haven't found how to turn off the radio.

Radar cruise control is wonderful. We drove my wife's 2010 Camry Hybrid on a 120 mile trip and I got tired of continually having to blip the speed up or down. Mazda's MRCC with Stop/Go does work. I had my foot hovering over the brake to test if the car would come to a complete stop. It does but... do the brake lights tell the drivers behind you you're stopping?

Active Display is really worth the entire Premium Package price (well, the heated steering wheel will come in handy in another 8 months). It's not like you have to focus at a display on the windscreen as I am an older driver (65) and wear bifocals. The HUD image appears to be out at the leading edge of the hood. I got a chance to try out the autodimming LED headlights. They work pretty well but are kept busy with street lights and even reflective street signs affecting the high/low action. I liked my HIDs in the '15 GT w/Tech but think I'm sold on LEDs.

Will spend the next several days setting up all the usual homelink, nav and other amenities.

BTW, without the added tech, the car drives wonderfully. Sport mode is kinda fun.

Very, very glad I did not go with the CR-V.

Another satisfied customer. Thanks for the nice review! With regards to brake lights, I would like to know this as well (asked this question previously)

I don't think there is an off. Only mute or un-mute by pressing the volume knob.

Correct. No off button, just press mute.

Yes, I've confirmed that the brake lights do come on when using the adaptive cruise and it's slowing in city traffic. That was one of my concerns at first too.

Thx for the review... I definitely agree about the I-Activesense technology being great, and the active display being very useful. The whole package is just put together so nicely, especially with the driving feel. Couldn't imagine buying a different vehicle!

Yes, I've confirmed that the brake lights do come on when using the adaptive cruise and it's slowing in city traffic. That was one of my concerns at first too.

Thx for the review... I definitely agree about the I-Activesense technology being great, and the active display being very useful. The whole package is just put together so nicely, especially with the driving feel. Couldn't imagine buying a different vehicle!
I screwed up before. I want to know if the brake lights stay on when you have Auto hold working.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

More on the I-Activesense. As soon as the salesperson got out of the vehicle I adjusted all the mirrors and seats, put my foot on the brake, shifted into reverse then the Rear Cross Traffic Alert went off and I saw a vehicle pass by behind me. Can't tell you how many times I've cringed when having to back out of a parking stall with a Yukon and an F-250 on either side blocking any hope of view.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. I've had mine for 30 days and my sentiments echo yours for the most part, except I am happy with the seats coming off a 2014 Santa Fe sport.

More on the I-Activesense. As soon as the salesperson got out of the vehicle I adjusted all the mirrors and seats, put my foot on the brake, shifted into reverse then the Rear Cross Traffic Alert went off and I saw a vehicle pass by behind me. Can't tell you how many times I've cringed when having to back out of a parking stall with a Yukon and an F-250 on either side blocking any hope of view.

Congrats on the new motor, now let's see some piccies of the Eternal Blue over in the Pictures thread already!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Came from a 2004 Civic Coupe. Absolutely in love with my '17 GT. The HUD took all of 5 minutes to get used to. I've only had the car less than a week so I'm still getting comfortable, tweaking seat positions, favorites on radio, etc.

Don't have 100% faith in Adaptive Cruise Control just yet. Works very nice but coming from a barebones car, the technology still has me on edge.

Didnt realize the headlights were a tremendous upgrade from anything I've driven, especially when turning. Really the unsung hero of the car if you ask me.

Did manage to hit 34 MPG on my 18 mile drive into work today though. Mix of "highway" and some stoplights. Had adaptive on the entire way. Pretty slick!

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Thank you ALL 17 owners for your encouraging feedback! Guess you must have be spoiled to the point you'd never want a car without HUD anymore.

Thank you ALL 17 owners for your encouraging feedback! Guess you must have be spoiled to the point you'd never want a car without HUD anymore.
Besides the fact that it looked boring, I went with the CX5 because of the HUD over the CRV. When I drive our minivan, I'm constantly looking for a HUD that doesn't exist.

I do have a gripe though which should be fixed with Android Auto. Nav doesn't seem to take traffic conditions into account. Hit a patch yesterday with an accident. My phone rerouted me but my nav had no clue about conditions on the road.

Besides the fact that it looked boring, I went with the CX5 because of the HUD over the CRV. When I drive our minivan, I'm constantly looking for a HUD that doesn't exist.

That windshield HUD....one day man I'll have one!

Driving rentals or other cars has me reaching over for a commander knob that doesn't exist, expecting for a BSM system that doesn't beep nor light up, and good handling which is met with vagueness.

The 2017 CX-5 does look to be a winner. Most of the issue's people had with the car have been addressed and the car seems to still have everything that was good about it intact. The diesel version will be very interesting....

Back