Care to predict new features lineup for 2018+ CX-5?

:
18 CX-5
Obviously Mazda is already keeping a list of new features for 2018 rollout and beyond. With dusts finally settled for the 2017 spec, anyone cares to "predict" what can be expected for 2018+ MY? Any insights will be valuable to those still in wait-n-see.

Grill change (back to non-chicken wire, like what happened to 1st gen)?
Hands-free power liftgate?
CarPlay?
Illuminated controls?

SkyActiv 2.0
the rest is just icing on the cake.

Did it surprise/disappoint you that SkyActiv 2.0 did not happen with the 2nd gen transition? I know very little about the car industry, it just seems a logical expectation to a layman, but there must be good reasons it didn't happen.

17 has Power Liftgate.
I predict: not one change whatsoever.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Hopefully some power folding side mirrors for the US spec models.... Memory seats as a standard option would be nice too. That (and a few other awesome features) cost me 1800 extra dollars but it was a necessity for my wife and I.

Circles are SO last year. 😆

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Highly doubt sky 2.0 is coming in my18. I was a little surprised it didn't coincide with gen 2 introduction but I was also surprised how quickly we got to gen 2. That's the market now- this is the hot segment and keeping it fresh is key- so we'll get styling and refinement first, meat and potatoes second it seems. Sky 2 will (hopefully) come online with the mid-cycle reboot my20..dropping early 2019...maybe? As for 18s...sky diesel- again hopefully, AA&carplay and very little else because we're into my18 in what probably 6-8 mos?

Last edited:
2.5 turbo from the CX-9!!! I can see it happening. The car up it's class a bit with the new interior and if it wants to bridge the gap between the premium brands, (BMW, MB, Audi, Etc) then it needs to offer a bit more power. As it is now, handling is superb for what the vehicle is, on par with the ultimate driving machines of BMW but it just doesn't have the same power. I'd really like to see Mazda become the smart persons BWM!

2.5 turbo from the CX-9!!! I can see it happening. The car up it's class a bit with the new interior and if it wants to bridge the gap between the premium brands, (BMW, MB, Audi, Etc) then it needs to offer a bit more power. As it is now, handling is superb for what the vehicle is, on par with the ultimate driving machines of BMW but it just doesn't have the same power. I'd really like to see Mazda become the smart persons BWM!

Agreed and yes a 2.5T CX-5 and AWD 2.5T 6 would be great options to have but they're already are the smart person's bmw. Hell other than the 2 series and nice interiors I'm not even sure that's such an enviable moniker anymore- kinda sad, but true.

2.5T with a 42 sticker in USA. 2.2D with a 38 sticker in USA.
Signature Trim - above GT. More sound deadening and more premium features (Grille illumination, LED Door Sills, Welcome lights etc. etc.), Auto fold mirrors.

Another good one but mostly unlikely is for a performance Hybrid - could be non CX-5 mazda vehicle. Let the Regen accumulate - use it from get go for nice acceleration. IF it was CX-5 I would say a mid 6 0 - 60 would be sweet.
As long as its a hybrid - non CVT one with mid 30s combined that would be a great way forward. No boring Hybrids plox!

Talking of FE - doing 30+ now a days - zoom zoom for less dough.

I hope they fix that front end. So much empty space and everything is just off.

Possibly AA/Carplay as well but Mazda seems to be struggling with that. I believe they have to add it eventually though.

The U.S. 2018 CX-5 diesel version will go on sale unless it gets postponed. The 6 sedan was supposed to get a diesel engine option about two model years ago. Diesel was postponed for the 6.

I cant see any changes happening for the 2018 CX-5 gasoline version. Its too soon for changes. Itll be a carryover from 2017. A new color maybe if anything at all. Mazda is smaller than Toyota and Honda and has less engineers. Mazda is going to have its hands full with the CX-5 diesel introduction plus any 2017 CX-5 gasoline model problems/complaints that arise with a new model generation. Plus they have other models that require attention.

Back