new owner with some interesting findings

Ali 556

:
2017 cx-9
hello,

New '17 GT CX-9 owner, a not bad car to say at least, MPG is not the best as i'm a city driver, what is really interesting is that @ 800 miles i took it to the dealer for some issues, according to them they "re-flashed" the ecu with an update from mazda, my new findings are :

1- boost comes online faster and harder (still didnt hook my boost gauge yet).

2- the rad fan stay on for a long time even if the dash gauge is below 90c.

3- my GPS which kept on resting now resets less (if that makes any sense).

4- the lane departure warning is now more aggressive even on low setting.

My Plan is :

1- IC hard pipes so i can attach my methanol injection.

2- some form of turbo back exhaust system, or at least a DP.

3- Bigger IC as the stock unit get heat sock very very very fast in stop-and-go traffic.

4- awaiting if any tuning company will release a tune to keep the boost on the top end (past 4k rpm) same as below that, because the car fall on its face past 5500K rpm, (same as on ecoboost engines)

5- get a better # on the 1320, my best as on now is 16.5 :(

i'm happy to join and i hope that i've helped someone with his brand new (or used) CX-9.

I wonder what Mazda's policy will be on firmware and tuning updates. Would you have known about the update if you hadn't brought it in for troubleshooting?

Please keep us updated with anything that you upgrade on your CX-9. I'm interested in performance upgrades, but it seems like there isn't much of a market for it yet.

Ok, just bough my catch can and i will post pix,
Next i'll visit k&n site and look for a high flow filter.

Then an IC pipes and meth

My boost gauge reads @ WOT 16.5 PSI AND Afr of 10.9

On normal city drive it reads high 14's low 15's

This car need an IC CORE bad as stop and go traffic my intake temp reach 90*c ( ambient 38-40*c)

You need to make a separate thread about modding because I'm interested.

As a car guy with about 400 trips down the 1/4 I'd like to see what this truck can do.

I don't have the turbo model, got the 2015 / V6 model / 273HP instead. My dealership gave me a CX-9 rental with the 4 cylinder turbo which was really fun.

If you ever drove an ecoboost stang or focus( non st) the cx-9 drive the same.

Tons of tq until 4.5 k then it fall on its face.

At lunch boost is a soild 16.5 psi then drops to 8-9 on the high rpms.

Intake temp shoots up very quick as the stock ic is crappy, and the stock plastic pipes are not good for handling the heat.

Once my catch can arrive i'll start modding

1-cc.
2- ic pipes +meth.
3- bigger ic core.
4- by this time any tunning company should have developed a tune for this car.

Back