Polk vs Kicker 3&1/2 Bose replacement What I've learned

:
2015 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD w/ Mazda3 18 rims
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...Grand-touring-with-Bose&p=6494775#post6494775

I discovered the NB1 test mode and tried it today. I am currently running Polk db351s in the dash with 1 Kicker 41KSC3504 as the center channel. I realize specifications can vary somewhat from one manufacturer to another however the Kickers with 88 db efficiency s are just no match vs 91 db for the Polks. Unless I put centerpoint on I did not hear the center channel play at all in test mode. Even with centerpoint on the kicker is just not very loud with our factory Bose amps. What can I say? I shoulda just got 5 db351s and been done with it. I wanted to know how the kickers are and now I know that as good as they may be they are just not the best match for our vehicles. Off to Amazon I go!

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...Grand-touring-with-Bose&p=6494775#post6494775

I discovered the NB1 test mode and tried it today. I am currently running Polk db351s in the dash with 1 Kicker 41KSC3504 as the center channel. I realize specifications can vary somewhat from one manufacturer to another however the Kickers with 88 db efficiency s are just no match vs 91 db for the Polks. Unless I put centerpoint on I did not hear the center channel play at all in test mode. Even with centerpoint on the kicker is just not very loud with our factory Bose amps. What can I say? I shoulda just got 5 db351s and been done with it. I wanted to know how the kickers are and now I know that as good as they may be they are just not the best match for our vehicles. Off to Amazon I go!

Try testing the Polks in the center dash first. It may be possible that center dash handles a different frequency range than the corners. Or test the kicker in one corner vs Polk in the other.

I had my Kicker swapped out and now have Polks in all 3 dash positions. Was dumb on my part to try the Kicker I guess. When I switch from normal to centerpoint mode there is a change in the sound but there isn't the volume drop that there was previously. The Polks seem brighter than the Kickers but that may be simply because the Polks are more efficient.

The Polks are deinitely more efficient speakers, Kicker has always been best used in a high power situation, Polks with moderate power because they are so much more efficient.
Polks imo are a much more musical speaker as well.
I use kickers in my son's car as I know they can handle more abuse :)

It appears that this NB1 test mode is for the TomTom version of the infotainment system only.

Back