Sold my cx-5

Hey guys, it's been a while since i've been on here. Guess i lost interest. Just yesterday I traded in my 2016 CX-5 GT w/Tech and MMS for a 2017 Honda CRV. I have never been a fan of the CRV until i seen this Model Year's upgrade. A complete refresh. Yes it has a CTV Tranny and no maybe it doesn't quite handle like the cx-5 but i'd actually argue that one. The reason I traded was for a few reasons. Apple car play, Panoramic sunroof, Memory seats for 2, heated steering wheel, Heated rear seats, power lift gate with foot detection, lane keep assist, full LED turn signals and headlights, bigger, roomier and IMO better looking. Although some of these things are per individual i really feel this is superior to my current CX-5. Now i did look at specs for the 2017 CX-5. Still no apple car play etc. The Honda dealer gave me more money than what I owed on the Mazda so that was nice and i got the CRV for $500 over invoice. My payments went up $2.xx a month. As a quick background this will be my fifth Honda i've owned. The CX-5 was my first Mazda. Thanks again for all the help before and after I bought my CX-5. I still have it for now. The Honda is on order with no delivery date set yet. Extremely popular SUV.

Called it.

Oh...and see in red. I've been harping on that for how long, now?

You can avoid all the interest hidden and otherwise by paying cash. It that sounds impossible look up Dave Ramsey.

You can avoid all the interest hidden and otherwise by paying cash. It that sounds impossible look up Dave Ramsey.

I prefer to finance. $25,000 is a lot of money to tie up in an asset that will eventually be worth a mere fraction of that. If one can get a 0% or low interest rate (under 3%), it seems more sensible to put that money into something else that will retain value, or invest it. I am in my early 30's though, and still acquiring things. When I am older, I think I will become more of a cash customer, as the number of things I want to acquire will be less/gone, and it will make more sense to "get the very best deal, on this one and only thing".

Congrats. I did see the new CRV on the NJ turnpike last week and it looked really good. Our 2014 CX5 GT will be 4 years old in April with just under 50,000 miles on her, and we will be trading it it for an Audi Q5 3.0 or a BMW X35i this year.

It is a mistake to only look at the monthly payment, you need to look at the entire package.
In general, replacing your car too soon is expensive. I would not tell you how to spend your money, but you could always do other things with the same money. It is then up to you to decide what is more important.
For me, a panoramic sunroof is not more important then, say, earlier retirement.

It is a mistake to only look at the monthly payment, you need to look at the entire package.
In general, replacing your car too soon is expensive. I would not tell you how to spend your money, but you could always do other things with the same money. It is then up to you to decide what is more important.
For me, a panoramic sunroof is not more important then, say, earlier retirement.

I wish I could retire on what pano sunroof costs :(

What i am hearing is Canada has some protection on interest rate abuse. Which is good. Here some loans can have rates as high as 70%. Little protection.

I thought the legal limit was like ~28%

Congrats on the CRV purchase. I also purchased a 17 CRV Touring AWD and love it. Because there is so much tech in this car and because of the turbo engine, I would highly recommend getting an extended warranty(HondaCare). Shop around for it using a few dealers. I was able to get an HondaCare from College Hills Honda for 8 years/120k miles for slightly over 1k which IMO is worth it as it can pay for itself only after 1 or 2 repairs.

Mazda needs to step up their game with the upcoming CX-5. I was planning on getting one but unfortunately by car broke down and I needed something ASAP. CRV was second on my list, but now that Iv'e driven it close to 2k miles I'm not regretting it at all. The CX-5 might have better handling, but how does that help you when 99% of people who buy these SUV's use them for normal things like work/running errands? People don't track these cars. I think the CX-5 looks slightly better too but the CRV I believe will trump it in every other category(CarPlay, MPG, Interior space, Safety features, etc...). Honda has a massive stockpile in $$$ for R&D and it shows in this CUV.

You can forget Mazda adding CarPlay anytime soon. Someone here recently posted an article which states Mazda is working with Toyota and a few other auto manufactures on an alternative to CarPlay/Android Auto...

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/242050-ford-toyota-sdl-apple-carplay-android-auto

Last edited:
Congratulations!!! The CRV looks great IMO. Let me know about the rear legroom. My oldest boy hit a serious growth spurt and I am considering getting something bigger. I like the CX-9 and the highlander but have no need for the 3rd row or no huge desire for the associated MPG hit with those vehicles. I have always questioned how Mazda measures their rear leg room for the CX-5. 39.3??

Congrats on the CRV purchase. I also purchased a 17 CRV Touring AWD and love it. Because there is so much tech in this car and because of the turbo engine, I would highly recommend getting an extended warranty(HondaCare). Shop around for it using a few dealers. I was able to get an HondaCare from College Hills Honda for 8 years/120k miles for slightly over 1k which IMO is worth it as it can pay for itself only after 1 or 2 repairs.

Mazda needs to step up their game with the upcoming CX-5. I was planning on getting one but unfortunately by car broke down and I needed something ASAP. CRV was second on my list, but now that Iv'e driven it close to 2k miles I'm not regretting it at all. The CX-5 might have better handling, but how does that help you when 99% of people who buy these SUV's use them for normal things like work/running errands? People don't track these cars. I think the CX-5 looks slightly better too but the CRV I believe will trump it in every other category(CarPlay, MPG, Interior space, Safety features, etc...). Honda has a massive stockpile in $$$ for R&D and it shows in this CUV.

You can forget Mazda adding CarPlay anytime soon. Someone here recently posted an article which states Mazda is working with Toyota and a few other auto manufactures on an alternative to CarPlay/Android Auto...

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/242050-ford-toyota-sdl-apple-carplay-android-auto

Cool. By the the time the rest of the industry moves on, they will have something awesome, circa 2017. Only an idiot would ever work with Toyota on ANYTHING "new and exciting" right now.

I mean, Lexus LFA, anyone?

Subaru pretty much made the FT86 happen.

What has toyota innovated lately?

They are a GREAT company if you want "knowns". not so great for new stuff.

Last edited:

There is some bias here. Don't you recollect crv tranny issues in 2016? Takata? You have bought a new drivetrain Honda. Its a honda but still new drivetrain. It trumps cx5 on cargo guaranteed. Not sure what the verdict is on mpg so soon.
Reading your post one would assume crv will sell close to 900k or a million units in USA. I doubt that a bit.
A portion of buyers find it ugly, besides handling the feel in a cx5 is different. Like many said it puts a smile on their faces.
Think Mazda is fine where it is. 100k+ sales is nice. See how Mitsubishi is struggling.. this is a hard market to get back into.

There is some bias here. Don't you recollect crv tranny issues in 2016? Takata? You have bought a new drivetrain Honda. Its a honda but still new drivetrain. It trumps cx5 on cargo guaranteed. Not sure what the verdict is on mpg so soon.
Reading your post one would assume crv will sell close to 900k or a million units in USA. I doubt that a bit.
A portion of buyers find it ugly, besides handling the feel in a cx5 is different. Like many said it puts a smile on their faces.
Think Mazda is fine where it is. 100k+ sales is nice. See how Mitsubishi is struggling.. this is a hard market to get back into.
No Mazda is not fine, especially in the US market which is the largest car market in the world! Mazda is doing better than Mitsubishi but they're struggling too. The sales figure is flat and 2% US market share is too low to survive the market! That's why CEO Masamichi Kogai is trying to improve their very low customer retention rate to boost their sales in the
US.

Mazda's customer retention rate is near the bottom of all car companies. 2 out of 3 customers who buy a Mazda end up buying something else down the road. You call that fine? I don't.

Thanks. Can't wait until we get it. Here in Canada the extended warranty, Honda care, is regulated by Honda and there is no price shopping. Each dealer charges the same price. My 8 yr 200000km is $2988.

Congratulations!!! The CRV looks great IMO. Let me know about the rear legroom. My oldest boy hit a serious growth spurt and I am considering getting something bigger. I like the CX-9 and the highlander but have no need for the 3rd row or no huge desire for the associated MPG hit with those vehicles. I have always questioned how Mazda measures their rear leg room for the CX-5. 39.3??

Watch a few youtube reviews. The rear leg room has grown 2" giving it the most space in its class. It's a massive space next to the CX-5.

damn those massively padded seats and headrests look super comfortable, also FLAT 2nd row ! no hump for 2nd row passenger,

Mazda needs to step it up, even their new full size CX-9 has a hump (not comfortable for 2nd row center passenger)

damn those massively padded seats and headrests look super comfortable, also FLAT 2nd row ! no hump for 2nd row passenger,

Mazda needs to step it up, even their new full size CX-9 has a hump (not comfortable for 2nd row center passenger)

I won't lie, the seats are way more comfortable than the CX-5 and the leather feels different, better IMO. I got the all black interior.
images-2.jpeg

Just a different view/color
2017-Honda-CR-V-Touring-AWD-front-three-quarter-in-motion-02.jpg

Back