CX-5 Sidekick search

Kaps

Contributor
:
CX-5 Touring 2016.5
So my 2nd car was totaled. Well not officially yet but I wont be driving it. Its been slalomed -

asset.php

So CX-5 needs a sidekick. Usage will be 90% highway with 24k miles / year. Need low miles or certified. Plan to sell around 110k or so miles.
If my commute pattern changes I will still sell it around 110K.

Here are other must haves
1. Great mpg (No prius plox) - 33+ on highway
2. Slightly roomier rear passenger area - Corolla was small car seat and all.
3. reliable - for some reason I cannot spend time waiting for it to get fixed. So reliability is important else I will end up with lot of rentals.

Budget: I would like to keep it low as it will be mostly a 2 year use n sell vehicle plus my rates are going to rise so dont want to buy a costly car.
I would say 16K USD OTD. So has to be 14.5K or under. 2 year old or newer CPO or with 20-30K warranty left is what I am looking for.

Altima seemed to be perfect. Till I read about its reliability issues. Not sure of rear leg room in Mazda 3s but they are highly rated and are holding value well.
Right now Hyundai seems good but their values tank. Besides I do not like 2015 or older models on looks. On the plus side my boss drives one (cabpatch)

What would you recommend.

Mitsubishi mirage you can get brand new for your budget or fully loaded used for same/less depending on age miles and 10yr/100k with 50mpg and lots of aftermarket

So my 2nd car was totaled. Well not officially yet but I wont be driving it. Its been slalomed -
asset.php

So CX-5 needs a sidekick. Usage will be 90% highway with 24k miles / year. Need low miles or certified. Plan to sell around 110k or so miles.
If my commute pattern changes I will still sell it around 110K.

Budget: I would like to keep it low as it will be mostly a 2 year use n sell vehicle plus my rates are going to rise so dont want to buy a costly car. I would say 16K USD OTD. So has to be 14.5K or under. 2 year old or newer CPO or with 20-30K warranty left is what I am looking for.
Sorry to hear your 2nd car got totaled. Since we can't see the picture you posted, I'd guess the accident was happened on the crowded highway in our area such as LBJ or I-35E?

Yeah I do believe a new Mitsubishi Mirage Chris_Top_Her has been recommending is a good choice if the rear seating space fits your requirement. A used Honda Fit、Civic, and Toyota Corolla should be considered too. Newer generation Corolla is a lot roomier than older models like the one you have and the rear leg room is bigger than Mazda3's.

We have a mazda 3 as well. Drives great. The 2.0 engine is perfectly acceptable and gets something like 38-39 mpg.

at one time high mileage made a car old. I don't think that is true anymore. A well maintained car can easily go 250K

Mitsubishi mirage you can get brand new for your budget or fully loaded used for same/less depending on age miles and 10yr/100k with 50mpg and lots of aftermarket

Mirage will be small, not sure about highway feel. Seems like a lighter car, not into modifying. Heck cant even get time to hand wash my CX5 in last 3 months. Our schedule changed from me driving 2 miles to work to us(me and wifey) driving 87 miles combined.

Honda Fit LX
Fit is very practical, but noisy and build quality is a notch lower. Lot of folks proclaim it to be the most perfect car ever.

Sorry to hear your 2nd car got totaled. Since we can't see the picture you posted, I'd guess the accident was happened on the crowded highway in our area such as LBJ or I-35E?

Yeah I do believe a new Mitsubishi Mirage Chris_Top_Her has been recommending is a good choice if the rear seating space fits your requirement. A used Honda Fit、Civic, and Toyota Corolla should be considered too. Newer generation Corolla is a lot roomier than older models like the one you have and the rear leg room is bigger than Mazda3's.

attachment.php

Thanks, no one was injured. The other guy had a Ford F150 with 6K estimate in repairs. Mine was 9.5K USD (still feels low).
Not sure y the image did not come up. Yeah driving in DFW is a lot of near misses and stressful, people are just getting impatient. Not going to buy another Corolla cause I want to try something different. Fit is great but you dont feel very confident doing 80 mph on that one.

Update:
My insurance totaled the car. It was 87% - repairs to car value. Did not lowball me at all (guess you get the insurance you pay for).

So it seems I wont have to spend much out of pocket.
Civic EX 2015 is the front runner. I want to test drive one soon.

Positives are:
Stellar resale. You cannot overstate this.
39 mpg hwy, 30 in city.
0-60 in 7.6 secs with CVT. CVT will be fuel efficient even on hills etc.
Quieter than Corolla.
I can live with that look : both exterior and interior- the sideview mirror camera seems gimmicky but who knows.

I was wanting to replace my 2nd car since 2013 corolla seems primitive in terms of features and engine specs. I actually will get a good value (more than any dealer is every going to pay me).

Lets see how it goes.

Not sure what method you are using to post, but still nothing. Try using imgur.com, it's free, ad free and gives you different kinds of links to c&p

⋯ Civic EX 2015 is the front runner.
While you're at Honda dealership, do check out 2017 Honda Fit which definitely should "fit" your budget and space requirement! You can have manual if you prefer and save some money. Interest rate on car loan for new car is lower and you may have better promotion for it at this time of the year. My concern on a 2015 Civic is new Honda CVT just came out for Honda's 2015 lineup and it caused many vibration complaints. I'd imagine after 2 years Honda should have fixed many bugs for its new CVT and should be more reliable too with ongoing product improvement. Try to test drive a Fit on the highway and you'll find it's pretty stable even at 80 mph!

Inside is very spacious. We have almost purchased on for my wife, when the first gen came out. It's an awesome little car. It felt peppier, than the numbers suggested. There is a lot of room inside, with the rear bench style configuration. You could stick across the car, a bicycle if you fold up the rear seat bottom. I can't imagine, how much better is the new one.
Sedans do not have that much room.

The new Honda Civic Hatch looks pretty good on paper. Not so much with the Fake Ferrari grilles LOL.

I will post pics if I get to it, last week was super hectic. Kiddo had to come back from school twice and arranging rental et. al

On my insurance - they offered a good price, I said give me couple of hundred more - they went back and offered a grand more, Now that i do the math they gave me the max. dollar value possible to justify totaling the vehicle (75% threshold).
Have mixed feelings about it!

On Civic / Fit - I believe it is great value, but I dont think my wife likes Honda in general. Also considering Legacy and S60 due to safety.
Wondering if anyone has idea about Volvo reliability > 40K miles and if it needs premium fuel?? 15s and 16s have great mpg but will cost north of 20K.

Now that I have test driven five to six cars I told my wife I am so glad I got a CX5. It fits like a glove and I just love how it drives.

⋯ On Civic / Fit - I believe it is great value, but I dont think my wife likes Honda in general. Also considering Legacy and S60 due to safety.
Wondering if anyone has idea about Volvo reliability > 40K miles and if it needs premium fuel?? 15s and 16s have great mpg but will cost north of 20K.
With your criteria I personally wouldn't get a Volvo especially a used one. Their reliability is worse than Mazda, and of course I don't like the turbo. You hardly can get the gas mileage advertised unless you drive it making sure the turbo charger is not spinning up! I also believe you eventually need replacing the turbo charger after 100,000 miles.

Unfortunately your wife doesn't like Honda for some reason otherwise a brand new Honda Fit is a perfect vehicle to "fit" your requirement!

What year was your Corolla? The new ones seem to meat your criteria.

I have close to 300K on my '00 Protege and it's still as reliable as ever!
Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Point is it is so cheaper to get a good used car and siphon off your old one nowadays. Also labor is expensive + even more than that technology has changed a lot. You can now be in bumper to bumper with your cruise and adaptive radar thingy on and not have to worry about your feet being sore. + BSM RCTA Front collision / Lane Watch and a slew of other features. If I have to fix a car and it takes 2 hours of my time it will cost me 2 times $50 or 60 of mechanical labor + 2 hours of my free time + parts. Its just not worth the hassle unless you are emotionally invested in the car and its not a daily commuter.

With your criteria I personally wouldn't get a Volvo especially a used one. Their reliability is worse than Mazda, and of course I don't like the turbo. You hardly can get the gas mileage advertised unless you drive it making sure the turbo charger is not spinning up! I also believe you eventually need replacing the turbo charger after 100,000 miles.

Unfortunately your wife doesn't like Honda for some reason otherwise a brand new Honda Fit is a perfect vehicle to "fit" your requirement!

Point noted. So even though I do not like how the Subu drives it could be that, just that its impossible to find one and fanboys always pay listed price and walk out.
I dont know why my wife has that bias but as a primary driver her input is what matters. I can drive a car I am not comfy with - I dont want her to do that.

What year was your Corolla? The new ones seem to meat your criteria.
Mine was 13. It actually had a better overlap crash rating than 14-15. My accident was a minor overlap with 40mph to 50 speed. The car that was hit was near stationary.

Point noted. So even though I do not like how the Subu drives it could be that, just that its impossible to find one and fanboys always pay listed price and walk out.
I dont know why my wife has that bias but as a primary driver her input is what matters. I can drive a car I am not comfy with - I dont want her to do that.
Yes making wife happy and our life would be a lot easier! :)

Just wondering, even if you buy her a brand new 2017 Honda Fit than a used Volvo S60, that still wouldn't make her happy? My wife was happy when I suggested her to get a brand new Mazda CX-5 instead of a similarly priced Lexus RX 350 which had to be a used. She always wants a Lexus as all of her friends driving Lexus!

Back