Weird Key Issue on a 2015

Rich 65

:
2009 6 GT, 2014 CX-5 GT
The key used ever day works fine. The spare seems to loose its ability to unlock or start the car if not used often. However once the car is opened and or started with the main key, the spare works fine. Also, if I open up the bad key and test the battery it will work fine. Battery tests at 100%. Any suggestions?

Well you could swap key fobs, making the spare the everyday fob.

Where is the SPARE being kept? In the car? or away from the car?

If you test the battery, it can still test fine in volts, but not supply enough amperage...

If it were me, I would replace the battery in the spare remote, and see if it fixes the problem. I have seen too many complaints here with FOB BATTERIES. I am thinking that the vendor that makes the fobs installed a bad batch of batteries.

Hi - the spare is kept in the house. I can certainly put in a new battery but, as mentioned, the key seems to "wake up" after the car is activated with the main key or I futz with the existing battery in the spare key.

Hi - the spare is kept in the house. I can certainly put in a new battery but, as mentioned, the key seems to "wake up" after the car is activated with the main key or I futz with the existing battery in the spare key.

My guess is the battery voltage has dropped just enough that the warmth of your hand brings it back to life after a moment. Try a new battery.

New battery worked. I had no idea that a battery testing fine could lack the needed amps. Thanks.

Back