Mazda going premium?

Agreed, but for some reason I don't think it's cost that's the prohibitive factor for Mazda. It's their relentless pursuit of weight reduction.

Sigh.

it's just so stupid to delete sound deadening in a sub-200hp 3,000+ pound SUV and then cite "performance".

WHY!?

They need magnesium pedals. Carbon Fiber fenders. Runflat tires instead of a spare. Oh...wait. I'm describing my Z06. Which still had more sound deadening material than my 2015 CX5 Touring, I am willing to bet, if you ripped out the stuffing and set them side by side on the scales. I watched them build my Z06 from the ground, up. It had more stuffings than the CX-5, IIRC correctly.

Mazda is being stupid about this sound deadening thing. They are pretending that loud and unrefined road noise = performance because it = less weight. Sure. That 20-50# they shaved made the CX-5 a read badass. Really!? Really Mazda!? Doe they also recommend using 1 quart less oil to cut down on aeration and save a few ounces of weight? Running with the gas tank only 1/3 full to reduce weight? *sigh*

The current Mazda3 has features far beyond those of your BMW: LED headlights, smart braking and lane management systems, traffic sign recognition, Bluetooth phone & audio - I could go on but I won't. Heck, even today, BMW makes a rear view camera an option! Like I said, BMW is a Mazda for the foolish.

I will concede that buying my M4 wasn't financially sound. Why didn't I buy a fully loaded Sonata? (rlaugh) Didn't we already have this discussion about income brackets and vehicle selection?

My wife enjoys her CX-5.

I will concede that buying my M4 wasn't financially sound. Why didn't I buy a fully loaded Sonata? (rlaugh) Didn't we already have this discussion about income brackets and vehicle selection?

My wife enjoys her CX-5.

No kidding.

You do understand you're going to die someday, right? Might as well enjoy life! If you can afford to do something foolish, and it makes you smile...

You comment is contradictory to Mazda's claim to fame and likely the reason most look at and buy a Mazda.

If Mazda lays aside Zoom Zoom in exchange for fluff I can guarantee this CX-5 will the first and the last Mazda purchased by this household. More performance, more drive and less pointless cr@p please!

Well... ok maybe if mazda offers the CX-??? in a basic performance Zoom Zoom model sans all the pointless things jacking up the price of cars, we will be on board...

I get that and that's precisely why I bought my cx5 because of its zoom zoom. I'm not saying abandon that philosophy. I'm saying I think they have nailed the current setup and that investing money into further research and development in regards to driving dynamics is a waste to me, imo. I assume they're continuing to do so with the new release of their version of the g-vectoring. I absolutely do not want them to lose sight of what makes Mazda, Mazda. But I think they can better themselves if they just put some more focus on other areas now that they have "perfected" the driving experience.

But hey, I'm all for performance versions of their fleet of vehicles. drop the turbo into them and lets have the cx5 speed. Hmm I would definitely be first in line. But if you're going to keep performance levels the same, lets complete some other areas of the cx5 that are unfinished.

If Mazda had a "LUXURY" CX-5, that added the:
50 lbs of sound deadening
sound deadened tires
motorized hatch
auto lift hood
rear A/C
power passenger seat
heated retracting mirrors
Turbocharger
few other goodies I am forgetting..

we have added 400lbs of stuff, dropped the MPG by 3mpg, and added $3500 to the MSRP bringing it from $33k to over $36,500. Would you buy it?

Last edited:
sound deadened tires
motorized hatch
auto lift hood
rear A/C
power passenger seat
Turbocharger

we have added 400lbs of stuff, dropped the MPG by 3mpg, and added $3500 to the MSRP bringing it from $33k to over $36,500. Would you buy it?

So pretty much a loaded Ford Escape 2.0 Ecoboost. It does not have a couple of those things but most of them. Don't think there is any other cuv with 240hp besides the ugly Forester.

Yikes, just built a fully loaded and I mean everything ford escape and cx5. Escape came out $1400 but that Escape comes with sooo much more. However, the cx5 still looks, and drives so much better. Plus better awd system. Although that Escape is much more powerful.

Your estimate is very close though, and Ford does offer what your stating. For the most part. But Ford isn't Luxury. So Mazda doesn't have to step into what's considered "luxury" in order to offer those features and amenities.

sound deadened tires (What the heck are those?)
motorized hatch No clue what it weighs, but I bet 15# would do it.
auto lift hood The hydraulic struts are like 10oz each...
rear A/C Maybe 5-10#
power passenger seat Another 5-15#
heated retracting mirrors Maybe 2-3#/ea
Turbocharger Even a very heavy turbo with FMIC is only around 100#

By my count, you're up about half of what you claimed in weight, of course you lose a few mpg, because horsepower takes fuel... and I dunno, does the GLK350 sell? Does the Forester 2.0XT sell? Does the Ford Escape 2.0T Ti Edition sell? Does the Acura RDX sell? Does the Hyundai SantaFe AWD Turbo 2.0 sell?

By my count, you're up about half of what you claimed in weight, of course you lose a few mpg, because horsepower takes fuel... and I dunno, does the GLK350 sell? Does the Forester 2.0XT sell? Does the Ford Escape 2.0T Ti Edition sell? Does the Acura RDX sell? Does the Hyundai SantaFe AWD Turbo 2.0 sell?

Of course when I said 400lbs, these are just rough numbers here... also need the larger fuel tank, and wheels, and thicker glass...lol (fight)

Sound deadened tires have strips of sound deadening material installed to the interior (rim side) of the tire. Here is an example... http://www.continental-tires.com/car/technology/contisilent
contisilent-image-02a.png

I think Mazda sees more room for competition at the lower end of the spectrum...

Last edited:
Of course when I said 400lbs, these are just rough numbers here... also need the larger fuel tank, and wheels, and thicker glass...lol (fight)

Sound deadened tires have strips of sound deadening material installed to the interior (rim side) of the tire. Here is an example... http://www.continental-tires.com/car/technology/contisilent
contisilent-image-02a.png

I think Mazda sees more room for competition at the lower end of the spectrum...

I had no CLUE that tire existed. Thanks! That's what's replacing my current tires when it's time. Tired of this buzzbox. It's like all of the noise of my Z06, with all of the performance of a Prius. Worst of all worlds when it comes to comfort.

I just read a C&D article about sound deadened tires and they assert that the reduction is negligible.

sound deadened tires
motorized hatch
auto lift hood
rear A/C
power passenger seat
Turbocharger

You can't forget to mention the very useful memory seat; and I don't want turbo either! Power liftgate is not my taste but I do wish Mazda can offer many nice features on CX-5 here which are only available in non-US markets.

The problem for Mazda CX-5 is most above mentioned amenities are available on other compatible compact CUVs with similar price range of CX-5's without those features. If CX-5 has those features available I could persuade more friends and families buying a new CX-5!

Premium brand requires reputation and image. By offering all the amenities available doesn't mean the vehicle is luxury and premium. The quality feel has to be there which I feel Mazda still has something to learn. Featuring Nappa leather seating and genuine Rosewood interior trim doesn't mean you suddenly became a premium brand.

Besides, the same feature considered as luxury may still feel differently due to the different design and cost. The rain-sensing wipers on our 2000 BMW 528i are so precise and predictable, but the same rain-sensing wipers on our CX-5, and 2001.5 VW Passat GLX, are not so much. I can tell BMW's rain-sensing wipers are really well designed and made, which may cost more than the one used on our CX-5 and Passat.

You can't forget to mention the very useful memory seat; and I don't want turbo either! Power liftgate is not my taste but I do wish Mazda can offer many nice features on CX-5 here which are only available in non-US markets.

The problem for Mazda CX-5 is most above mentioned amenities are available on other compatible compact CUVs with similar price range of CX-5's without those features. If CX-5 has those features available I could persuade more friends and families buying a new CX-5!

Premium brand requires reputation and image. By offering all the amenities available doesn't mean the vehicle is luxury and premium. The quality feel has to be there which I feel Mazda still has something to learn. Featuring Nappa leather seating and genuine Rosewood interior trim doesn't mean you suddenly became a premium brand.

Besides, the same feature considered as luxury may still feel differently due to the different design and cost. The rain-sensing wipers on our 2000 BMW 528i are so precise and predictable, but the same rain-sensing wipers on our CX-5, and 2001.5 VW Passat GLX, are not so much. I can tell BMW's rain-sensing wipers are really well designed and made, which may cost more than the one used on our CX-5 and Passat.
EXACTLY!

It's the same way with optics and guns. I can promise you that my 1-4 Nightforce is not the same as the 1-4 Bushnell, etc. Yes all the "paper stats" may equal out, but in the real world, the difference is glaring. Same for things like the rain sensors, light sensors, radar CC, etc.

For example, my Grand Jeep Cherokee had multi-stage headlights. It would dim in multiple stages when approaching traffic got close and closer. Super nice feature. That was back in 2010? What's the CX-5 got? Hi-beam control only? And that on a top of the line GT w/tech while my Jeep was just the Limited, not even the Overland? Jeep is by far a more luxury brand than Mazda, and as long as you can say Jeep is more luxury...you ain't luxury.

Mazda is named best car brand by U.S. News & World Report. http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/browse/mazda/

I checked how they score and its based on: Combined review of major magazines and auto websites, IIHS safety ratings, JD Power scores, Major Awards won. It really seems like they did a lot of homework for the average consumer. Anyways they named Mazda the best car maker, Honda the best SUV maker, Porsche the best Luxury maker, Ford the best truck maker. I personally can't disagree with those winners.

Here's the slideshow http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Best_Vehicle_Brand_Awards/

Back