Mazda Jet Black Mica (no price premium)?

:
2019 CX-5 Signature
In Canada at least, this is the only CX-5 color that doesn’t come with a price premium.
What’s the reason? Is it anything to do with the quality?
What do black car owners think of it?

According to Mazda Canada's website, the '24 GX, GS and GT trims are also available in the no-added-cost Deep Crystal Blue Mica. But that colour is not available on the other trims.

Mica colors are traditional 2-step (base coat/clear coat) paint jobs. The other colors Mazda offers are 3 step (an extra pearlescent or tinted clear on the top) and therefore are more costly.

"Mica" is the metal flake in the base coat. Kinda' like this dictionary definition:
a shiny silicate mineral with a layered structure, found as minute scales in granite and other rocks, or as crystals.

The jet black mica is a really good black in my opinion. My neighbour got a new CX-90 jet black mica and its black was stunning compared to the other black cars from my other neighbours (Volvo XC-60, Tesla model 3).

Of course, it got dirty within a few days ;) but all black cars do that.

Also some of the more expensive paint (like the soul red) are more prone to chipping. I wouldn’t associate the price of the paint with its quality. Like other said, it is more related to the process, and also availability (i.e. which paint are they putting on the greatest quantity of vehicle).

I love the soul red paint, it really is one of the best looking red paint i have seen, but i wouldn’t dismiss the other colors as cheap quality.

It may be the only color that has been on offer on all Mazda models since it first came out.... no rotation off and on in different years as Mazda is known to do with their other colors.

I have noticed it is always the most common color left over at the end of the model year on the MX-5s, and most of them sporting only 2 pedals.

Of course, it got dirty within a few days ;) but all..... cars do that.
FTFY. I will continue to die on the hill that "bLaCk cArS aRe hArDeR tO kEeP cLeAn".

Source, have had cars of every color except blue/gold/orange. Black the most. But red, white, silver, platinum... None were "easier to keep clean" then any other. I swear my silver car gets dirty just by me looking at it...

Back