2010 CX-9 GT Blown Engine at 75,000

BldrCx9

:
2010 Mazda CX-9 GT
First off, to those of you out there not changing/checking your oil very frequently - start doing so now! These engines are being made way too thin/lightweight to improve gas mileage and as a result are going through oil at higher than "normal" (for most cars) rates. Mazda won't tell you this however. Our 1st oil change at 3800 showed it was already 1/2 a quart low on oil...should have been a harbinger.

Anyway, we seem to have gotten a lemon as our CX-9 has needed the following - despite regular scheduled services (aside from changing the oil every 3800 miles):
failed seat warmers, a failed throttle body, failed brakes/booster, failed water pump, recalled suspension/control arms, recalled corrosion needing a bolt from Japan due to "abnormal corrosion," a failed transfer case and recalled air bags.

Less than 100 miles after getting our vehicle back from the Mazda dealer who had it over a month for the PTU, control arms and corrosion damage - our vehicle completely shut off while we were driving on the highway - going 70 mph on a 6% grade. The car just shut off...no lights, noises, smells, just off. The power steering went out and we're lucky there was no crash involved (though NHTSA was notified.) When trying to start the car again, there were all kinds of vibrations and it would not stay started. We were able to drive it a short distance to the tow truck...again no smells, lights, etc. Towed to dealer and after inspection were told that it's likely a thrown rod, or "something in the lower engine." We were completely baffled given only 75,000 miles.

Now Mazda is saying this is completely on us - they want oil change receipts showing changes every 3800 miles. Of course we don't have receipts showing every 3800 miles as we've never had a car that uses this much oil under normal conditions. We called a local Mazda auto repair company to see about a rebuilt engine and the owner told us that the 2010 CX-9 engines are "notoriously bad" - that most repair shops won't even attempt to rebuild them because the are "so fragile." He says the best bet is only a new OEM engine - which is around $7,000. Crazy.

I will say that Mazda USA has been working with us and we are hoping to come to some compromise due to the poor worksmanship we've experienced and our lack of changing the oil every 3800 miles. Anyway, would love to hear from any others with similar experiences and/or any input to our situation.

Call the State Farm salvage yard in South Bend, Indiana. Our 2010 with 90,000 was just totaled, but the engine is still good. I always changed the oil every 5000 with synthetic oil. Cost should be mush less than a new motor. When I replaced the spark plugs this last summer I glanced through the intake and the open valves and the motor was extremely clean still.

As a post script, sorry to hear about your bad experience. We had 0 repairs over those 90,000 miles other than the usual maintenance. Good luck!

Sorry to hear this dude. I on the other hand had a completely difference experience. Just got rid of a '10 CX-9 gt with 155k on it.I used Penn Plat 5w30 since 1,000 miles and Royal Purple max aft in the trans. The car never used oil or failed to scoot when needed. I live down south and used 5w30 because of the heat. We got rid of it due to the PIA small stuff that began occurring . Window switch went out etc. annoying multiple small things . Still drove fine. Glad no one was hurt with that thing shutting off going down the highway.

Bummer man! I'm a 2008 with 93k problem free miles. But I agree 100% with EVERY vehicle, you have to check your oil. Part of being a vehicle owner. My CX-9 goes through about 1 to 1.5 quarts with 5w20 synthetic every 5,000 miles. Goes through about 1/2 to 1 quart of 5w30 synthetic every 5,000 miles. Just how it is. But your other problems are a bummer. But the lower control arm recall & airbag recall, I wouldn't contribute those towards it being a terrible vehicle. I got brand spankin new lower control arms for free, I'm rather happy about that. If you had that done out of pocket at a dealer, between the price and the labor, you would have a pretty large hole in your wallet.

Back