2016~2023 CX-9 Oil leak on valve cover

⋯ Change the oil every 3k miles due to consumption from the turbo.
What consumption from the turbocharger? The two I've owned (Volvo & Mazda, don't know who made the turbochargers) never consumed any. In any case, oil consumption is no reason to change the oil & filter early. Add oil if needed, then change on schedule.
Depending on OP’s MY, there’s a TSB for a batch of inferior valve stem seals which caused the oil consumption issue on the 2.5T. He’d better to get it fixed ASAP under warranty if his CX-9 is on the list.

Mazda CX-5 (and other models) Oil Consumption TSB (WTF)

Just an update on my oil control vvt solenoid leak. Dealer replaced the entire valve cover for the repair, not just gaskets. Here is the part number on my invoice:
PY8W-10-210B
Actually this’s a known issue and the leak is actually coming from the VVT solenoid / oil control valve (OCV), part no. PE01-14-420A, itself. This has been discussed many times in CX-5 forum.

Oil patches on Engine cover - 2022 CX-5

2014 CX5 Tune-Up items to replace?

Honestly changing the grommet for OCV, or changing the valve cover with the gasket won’t fix the problem.

Also noticed this VVT solenoid / OCV PE01-14-420A used to be $110 ~ $160, now it costs at least $230 with the $345.05 MSRP!!!

Just checking to see if that valve cover and seals they installed fixed your oil leak?
So the verdict is .. dry as a bone. No seepage, no leaks. So, as far as it goes right now, my OCV itself is not leaking. My wifes 2021 CX-5 sig IS leaking from the same area with only 7k miles when I noticed it a couple months back Could be the valve cover as well or the OCV but have not brought into dealer yet.

I believe this would be part of the powertrain warranty, 5 year/ 60k miles. Are you out of warranty? Someone correct me if im wrong.
Yes, this kind of problem (oil leaks) is covered under Mazda’s 5-year / 60K-mile powertrain warranty.

Back