P-5 Reliability

gino

:
'03 P5, '14 iTouring hatch, '04 Honda S2K
Just turned 200,000 miles on my '03. In 13 years, have changed one timing belt, one left front wheel bearing, numerous sets of brake pads and various tire sets. That's it. The reason we have owned and continue to buy Mazdas when needed. BTW, the '5 still runs as new.

Just turned 200,000 miles on my '03. In 13 years, have changed one timing belt, one left front wheel bearing, numerous sets of brake pads and various tire sets. That's it. The reason we have owned and continue to buy Mazdas when needed. BTW, the '5 still runs as new.
My front left wheel bearing seems to be going, how much was the fix?

Sorry man, can't remember. Went out about '07, but not that much labor plus OEM bearing.

That is awesome. Same here. Ever check your air intake tube? That is a thing that goes on all these cars - the plastic cracks over time

Our car can be a HUGE PITA to do a front bearing.

Some mechanics just cut the axle off and include a new axle in their quote.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123830659-Bearing-Replacement-With-Video&highlight=

ARGHHHH GRRR ... Do you think it's more because of corrosion/rust they just chop it off or because it's really just a PITA? I'm considering replacing the front passenger wheel bearing myself (but having a machine shop deal with the damn knuckle). I don't want to open a can of worms.

My axle popped right out of the knuckle with a couple hits.... Other guys have pounded the living sh!t out of their axle and it wouldn't budge...

Some guys had to use a six foot extension on their breaker bar and jump on it to break the axle nut free...

I personally think the seized parts are more to do with excessive heat from aggressive braking than rust... My car's a rusty turd but I replaced my bearing quite easily.

You could still do it yourself and just cut the axle if it doesn't want to pop out and take the whole thing to the machine shop... A new axle isn't too much money.

ARGHHHH GRRR ... Do you think it's more because of corrosion/rust they just chop it off or because it's really just a PITA? I'm considering replacing the front passenger wheel bearing myself (but having a machine shop deal with the damn knuckle). I don't want to open a can of worms.

They chop it off because the axle seizes in the hub. Beating on it ruins the threads usually. The cost of a new axle is less than the labor of messing with it, and you usually need one anyway.

When I did mine, I had to beat it like it owed me money with a 3lb drilling hammer. The threads got pretty messed up but I was able to clean them up with a grinder and thread file. I'm pretty sure my axles hadn't been taken out of the hub prior to that, with 170k on them.

Before you get too far in, only pull the axle nut and see if the axle wants to slide out. If it won't, take it somewhere.

You can also pop the axle out of the transmission and take it with the knuckle. Let the machine shop press it out. Shouldn't hurt the axle that way. Of course, that passenger axle can be a bit of a bear to get out of the carrier bracket too.

One timing belt, EGR valve, cat, O2 sensors, 3 coils, one timing belt with water pump and seals, and the usual brakes and tires. Died last weeks with 195k on it when timing belt broke.

Back