2010 Mazda 5 Backup/Rear view camera

match_point

:
2010 Mazda 5
Hello all!!

My wife doesn't like the tech inside our Mazda 5 (which is paid off) and so she wants to trade it. I am trying to see if we can update the tech inside the car like a rear view camera and bluetooth. Is that possible on a 2010 Mazda 5?

Thanks!

yes, it is possible. You can get new head units with built-in video & bluetooth and add a backup camera.

If you have an aux-in on your current audio setup, bluetooth can be added easily with a bluetooth module ~$20 on Amazon (one example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)). There are separate standalone backup cameras with small video monitors. I believe there are several threads if you search around on here.

Thank you @kw_da for the response!

It would be great if I can get a affordable head unit with built-in video & bluetooth and a backup camera. How much do these things cost on average? These can only increase the value of the car and so will be a good investment.

There are many solutions.
You can get an aftermarket unit: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
Yu can get any number of generic 7 inch head units ranging from brand names to cheaper units and just install with an adapter.
All of them are compatible with a good $20-$30 backup camera.

Not sure about increase a value of a car at all, but if you consider getting a new car just for the value of GPS/Bluetooth/Backup camera $500 investment into this tech will pay back to you in 2-3 hours if you consider getting a new car just because of that, since you will loose that much just by driving the car of the lot, never mind any kind of taxes and insurance and monthly payments

There are many solutions.
You can get an aftermarket unit: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
Yu can get any number of generic 7 inch head units ranging from brand names to cheaper units and just install with an adapter.
All of them are compatible with a good $20-$30 backup camera.

Not sure about increase a value of a car at all, but if you consider getting a new car just for the value of GPS/Bluetooth/Backup camera $500 investment into this tech will pay back to you in 2-3 hours if you consider getting a new car just because of that, since you will loose that much just by driving the car of the lot, never mind any kind of taxes and insurance and monthly payments

Thanks! so about $500 in parts and another $100 in labor to install this at a hacker-store?

Plenty of videos how to install.
With a proper wire adapter you can do it yourself in 30 minutes first time... 10 the 2nd :)

This open for debate. people like many different brands for different reasons.
I went with a no-name Chinese.
But you can get fancier units form Kenwood, Alpine and similar.

Without a doubt, the easiest (and best, imho) way to do it is with a new rear view mirror and camera. I would get a used Gentex with a built in monitor and pair it with whatever camera you like. I think I spent $500 for the whole setup with all brand new parts and it worked without a hiccup for 6 years. It also does not require you to buy a new headunit or change the radio at all. Up to you if you want to update the radio or not but thats another issue. I did the first install write up on the camera, its not very difficult. Good luck!

Might check www.crutchfield.com for a number of options, even if you buy elsewhere. I can pretty well guarantee there is a local shop near you that could do a camera and/or stereo install for a couple hundred dollars. Might want to throw in a remote starter too so the Mrs can have a toasty car :)

Last edited:
Back