Scraping/Grinding Noise

cukaracha

:
Mazda 2 Sport
Hello,

I noticed a scraping/grinding noise coming from the front driver wheel area. The speed of the scraping is proportional to the car's speed, ie. noise gets faster as car speeds up. It gets worse from stationary until about 65mph and then it seems to disappear. That said, at highway speed, the front end of the car vibrates (feels like from side to side).

Any idea where I should start to diagnose this problem?

New rotors?

Hello,

I noticed a scraping/grinding noise coming from the front driver wheel area. The speed of the scraping is proportional to the car's speed, ie. noise gets faster as car speeds up. It gets worse from stationary until about 65mph and then it seems to disappear. That said, at highway speed, the front end of the car vibrates (feels like from side to side).

Any idea where I should start to diagnose this problem?

Does applying the brakes alter the noise?

I had similar noise and vibration ONLY when applying brakes shortly after changing just the front brake pads at 60k miles. At the time, I decided not to do rotors, but the replacement brake pads were a slightly different size than originals and there were ridges and other deposits on rotors causing grinding and vibration. If you haven't already done so, replacing rotors may fix the problem.

Back