Opinions: Goodyear Eagle Sport High Performance All-Season Tires

Hi all!
Still planning to go up to an 18" wheel on the CX-5 pretty soon. Found a wheel I like that weighs 20.7 pounds so I'm losing a couple of pounds of weight compared to the OEM 17" wheels. That's good.

In researching 18" tires on Tire Rack I saw that Goodyear has the Eagle Sport All Season 18" tire at a decent price so it may be an option. One thing that stood out, aside from all of the excellent ratings posted, was the weight of the tire...25 pounds for the 225/60R18 size. The Toyo Avid Envigor tires I was also looking at weigh 29 pounds in the 18" size. The tires currently on the vehicle are Yoko G91 tires that weigh 27 pounds for the 17" size.

Soooo....OEM 17" wheels and tires are at 50 pounds per corner. Replacement wheels and tires would save 4 pounds per corner at 46 pounds. The new wheels and Goodyear tires would save a little weight compared to the wheels and tires on the CX-5 now.

Bottom line...I'll probably go with the Goodyear Eagle tires based on their ratings on Tire Rack and the fact that they weigh less.

So the question is...are the Goodyear Eagles as good as the Tire Rack ratings make them out to be? Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about the Goodyear Eagles?
Thx for any feedback either way!
Bill

Hi all!
Still planning to go up to an 18" wheel on the CX-5 pretty soon. Found a wheel I like that weighs 20.7 pounds so I'm losing a couple of pounds of weight compared to the OEM 17" wheels. That's good.

In researching 18" tires on Tire Rack I saw that Goodyear has the Eagle Sport All Season 18" tire at a decent price so it may be an option. One thing that stood out, aside from all of the excellent ratings posted, was the weight of the tire...25 pounds for the 225/60R18 size. The Toyo Avid Envigor tires I was also looking at weigh 29 pounds in the 18" size. The tires currently on the vehicle are Yoko G91 tires that weigh 27 pounds for the 17" size.

Soooo....OEM 17" wheels and tires are at 50 pounds per corner. Replacement wheels and tires would save 4 pounds per corner at 46 pounds. The new wheels and Goodyear tires would save a little weight compared to the wheels and tires on the CX-5 now.

Bottom line...I'll probably go with the Goodyear Eagle tires based on their ratings on Tire Rack and the fact that they weigh less.

So the question is...are the Goodyear Eagles as good as the Tire Rack ratings make them out to be? Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about the Goodyear Eagles?
Bill

Can't speak to the Eagles but Goodyear tires in general are pretty good. I've put two pair of Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max on my wife's CR-V. They ride nice, provide good traction and generally hold up pretty well. The price was good and they has some special where you would receive a $50 Visa pre-paid card when you bought 4.

I would put Goodyear tires on my CX-5 when the time comes.

I recommend the conti dws06. They are good all-season tires. If price is not a concern, Michelin is another good choice.

Hi all!

Bill

I love the 18" for the CX5 and feel that it would be a good compromise between the 2 factory setups...

I would want to verify weight for that tire size if the weight is indeed that important.

I think the factory weight is decent, and I have not heard of much improvement being felt when going UNDER the factory 17" weight. If you can go to an 18" setup, and keep the weight the same, you will be doing good.

Why would a tire weigh x% less, what are you giving up for that weight loss? That is what would concern me most...

Never heard much bad about Goodyear, Michelin, Bridgestone, Continental...

Last edited:
mazdadude: Yeah...not looking to go ultralight but it would be nice to stay at or below current weight while going up to an 18" set up. I'll see if I can verify the weight of the Eagles...maybe it's a typo on the Tire Rack web site?

karlmagnum: I'll look more at the Contis. They seem to get pretty good reviews from the folks posting on Tire Rack.
Thx!
Bill

For the size of 225/60R 18 tires, GoodYear Eagle Sport is V-rated, has 560AA UTQG with 50,000-mile warranty, 51 psi maximum inflation pressure, and weights 25 lbs. I thought it's a decent choice, but the other two you should also look into and compare are: General AltiMax RT43 and Continental PureContact. Both are H-rated grand touring all season tires and rated better than GoodYear Eagle Sport on Tire Rack. General AltiMax RT43 has 700AA UTQG with 65,000-mile warranty, 51 psi MIP, and weights 26 lbs. and Continental PureContact with EcoPlus low rolling resistance technology has 700AA UTQG with 70,000-mile warranty, 51 psi MIP, and weights 25 lbs. I have a set of General AltiMax RT43 on my Honda CR-V and they're excellent touring tires with much cheaper price. Highly recommend it for the price!

For the size of 225/60R 18 tires, GoodYear Eagle Sport is V-rated, has 560AA UTQG with 50,000-mile warranty, 51 psi maximum inflation pressure, and weights 25 lbs. I thought it's a decent choice, but the other two you should also look into and compare are: General AltiMax RT43 and Continental PureContact. Both are H-rated grand touring all season tires and rated better than GoodYear Eagle Sport on Tire Rack. General AltiMax RT43 has 700AA UTQG with 65,000-mile warranty, 51 psi MIP, and weights 26 lbs. and Continental PureContact with EcoPlus low rolling resistance technology has 700AA UTQG with 70,000-mile warranty, 51 psi MIP, and weights 25 lbs. I have a set of General AltiMax RT43 on my Honda CR-V and they're excellent touring tires with much cheaper price. Highly recommend it for the price!
+1, especially for the AltiMax RT43. I've had them on a few thousand miles now and it's a fantastic tire.

Back