How to remove wax stains from black trim?

Kinda off topic, but not entirely so....

Regarding using products such as Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax on the plastic trim, are there any UV inhibitors in the ULW? I waxed my paint and trim with the ULW last year after I bought my CX5, but I worry about long term quality. I've seen way too many Volvos on the road where the plastic cladding has turned silver, gray or even white over the years due to UV rays.

I know some folks use Aerospace 303 on the exterior plastic trim, and I have some and use it regularly on the interior pieces. If I were to use some 303 on the plastic trim, would I use it in conjunction with the ULW or would it be in lieu of the ULW? If in conjunction, can some of you detailing gurus provide the proper application sequence?

Its been a year since I did my first and only wax job thus far, so I'm eager to get another coat on there, particularly since I had to use the touch-less carwash during our Maine Winters. (Maybe next winter I'll just use the power washer and rinse the CX5 every few weeks rather than using the full blown wash due to the chemicals used in said wash).

Thx folks!

Last edited:

Regarding using products such as Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax on the plastic trim, are there any UV inhibitors in the ULW? I waxed my paint and trim with the ULW last year after I bought my CX5, but I worry about long term quality. I've seen way too many Volvos on the road where the plastic cladding has turned silver, gray or even white over the years due to UV rays.

I know some folks use Aerospace 303 on the exterior plastic trim, and I have some and use it regularly on the interior pieces. If I were to use some 303 on the plastic trim, would I use it in conjunction with the ULW or would it be in lieu of the ULW? If in conjunction, can some of you detailing gurus provide the proper application sequence?

Its been a year since I did my first and only wax job thus far, so I'm eager to get another coat on there, particularly since I had to use the touch-less carwash during our Maine Winters. (Maybe next winter I'll just use the power washer and rinse the CX5 every few weeks rather than using the full blown wash due to the chemicals used in said wash).

Thx folks!

I've been using this on the trim, over 3 years on good as new: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

The trim near the spoiler and windows stays shiny for a very long time, through many washes. The bumper and door bottom trim requires more frequent application.

Thx folks!
I would top the ULW with the 303 on the trim. Any wax or sealant that you use that is safe on the trim is going to have very little uv additives for the trim work. 303, ultimate protectant, any other trim protectant will have more and better uv inhibitors to help reduce the chances of uv fade on the black trim. I'd like to think the auto world has gotten better at making black trim that doesn't fade as much, but who knows. The nice thing with ULW, ICE, 845, is that your not screwed if you get wax on the trim and have to spend the time to remove it. I just go over everything with my "wax" making sure to wipe off throughly, then use a microfiber or foam applicator sprayed with 303 on the trim. I have some Turtle wax trim restorer stuff that's talked up quite a bit over on the detailing forum that I'm going to try out this summer

Hi,
I got some wax on the trim and could not get it out even by using wheel wax eraser. Now I use "black again" once a year. It does cover your white wax residue for about one year and make your exterior trim new.

by far the best product I have found is Mothers Back to Black Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner.
http://www.autogeek.net/best-car-wa...fis_pp9cgbhuu14UL5sxCQh9KSkbg8ehroaAg3a8P8HAQ

It can also be found at walmart and probably your local auto parts store. It really does work as stated, much better than any other product I have found. It actually removes the wax (or whatever is stuck on, polish or whatever), and doesn't just cover it. Works on all trim colors too, not just black.

Last edited:
by far the best product I have found is Mothers Back to Black.
http://www.autogeek.net/best-car-wa...fis_pp9cgbhuu14UL5sxCQh9KSkbg8ehroaAg3a8P8HAQ

It can also be found at walmart and probably your local auto parts store. It really does work as stated, much better than any other product I have found. It actually removes the wax (or whatever is stuck on, polish or whatever), and doesn't just cover it. Works on all trim colors too, not just black.

How long does it last? And does it come off during car washes?

How long does it last? And does it come off during car washes?

It is not a "lasting" product. It will literally remove the wax buildup, even if it has been on for a long time (with some labor), and then the product washes off, leaving your trim clean. I have not used it on faded trim, but I imagine it is the same principal.

If you are looking for a protectant, I have always heard good things about 303 for the interior (that is all I have used), so I recently bought 303 trim restore and protectant http://www.autogeek.net/303-trim-restorer.html
I have not had any problems with it, works well.

I have also been eyeing GTechniq C4 permanent trim restorer http://www.autogeek.net/gtechniq-c4-trim-restorer.html. Think of it as a coating made for your trim. It is a bit more expensive, but should last years rather than weeks.

Last edited:
by far the best product I have found is Mothers Back to Black.

Be careful when buying the Mothers Back to Black products. The one you listed is their heavy duty trim "CLEANER" not to be confused with the regular Back to black which is a trim restorer. The later will not clean the trim of wax residue, it will only hide it for a short while. The cleaner is good stuff and highly touted on the detailing forums.

Be careful when buying the Mothers Back to Black products. The one you listed is their heavy duty trim "CLEANER" not to be confused with the regular Back to black which is a trim restorer. The later will not clean the trim of wax residue, it will only hide it for a short while. The cleaner is good stuff and highly touted on the detailing forums.

Yes, this is true, you want the actual cleaner, not the restorer! Edited post to clear this up too

PB will only mask the problem. The trick is to REMOVE the wax from the trim and this is why the pencil eraser does the trick. After that you need to lubricate the plastic. Back to black does wonders but it needs to be applied again in a couple months or so.

I'm shocked no one has mentioned using WD40 to remove the wax residue from the exterior plastic trim panels. That's what I used, and it worked like a charm.

Bon

PB will only mask the problem. The trick is to REMOVE the wax from the trim and this is why the pencil eraser does the trick. After that you need to lubricate the plastic. Back to black does wonders but it needs to be applied again in a couple months or so.
Not the back to black cleaner we're talking about. The trim restorer, yes, needs to be applied every few months. The cleaner, once clean doesn't need to be reapplied until you need to clean the trim again. One should follow the trim cleaner with a protectant of their choosing.

The Pink Pearl pencil eraser does the trick. It's neat and fast and a piece of cake. I care the eraser in my glove compartment. Peanut Butter? Unnecessarily messy.

Back