Geko Dashcam install, perfect size w/ stock P5 rearview mirror

ReginaldWagon

:
2014 Mazda3 i Touring, 2002 Mazda Protege5
Got a GEKO Dashcam E100 6 months ago and finally got around to putting it in -- I also purchased a Mobius Mini Action Camera around the same time to mount in the rear of the car but have been greatly displeased with it.
I picked this model because it was smaller, supported up to a 32GB card and compatible with Win 7/8. Item came with a suction cup mount that works really well, a mini-usb car charger, smaller mini-usb cable for file transfer, 8GB microSD card w/ adapter and poorly written manual. I purchased a 32GB Samsung microSD card through amazon for about $12 and a 8ft mini-usb cable on ebay for $4.

The menu options on the camera can take a few buttons to access but are straight forward -- the screen on the camera is bright and easy to read. Out of the box it came on a 3 minute loop cycle where it'd create a new video file every 3 minutes, I turned that feature off and set the video resolution to 1080p. It also takes still photos but I have no intentions of using it for that. Camera has a built in G sensor that can be deactivated, it will automatically copy-protect the video if the vehicle is jolted. I opted to use the feature to show the date and time on the videos through the menu options. Camera mounts nicely in front of the rear view mirror without obstructing anything. I was able to hide the 8ft mini-usb cable along the headliner (at the corner shown in the photos I couldn't get it to tuck in all the way), down the driver side pillar cover and under the dash (you can push the side cover for the dash in easily to push the cable in). I ran the cable up through the gap in the 03' cup holders directly into a USB car charging adapter temporarily. (Camera begins filming the second the car is turned on and stops when it's turned off)

Video quality is decent, I'm still playing around seeing what works best but license plates are readable on 1080p. There are some screenshots of amazon reviewers Dashcam videos to show the quality, which is not as good in rainy weather. For around $75 this is a good addition to the P5.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
81LQ9sBVjmL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
I have been using Mobius on the front and quite happy with it as it is so compact.
From the outside, you can't even see or tell there is a dash cam there.

Looks really clean! (thumb) I've been considering a dash cam for awhile now and this seems like a great one for the P5. Might have to give it a try :)

Back