Full Transmission Replacement

DBLXX

:
CX-5
Full Transmission Replacement (now with photos)

Well - it wasn't a PCM flash - I've just been told that I need the ENTIRE transmission replaced.

2016 CX5 GT with Tech - 10,000 miles.

They won't even give the car back to me. They are giving me a Hertz rental.

This is just swell.

Last edited:
Bummer!

Wait for mikeM, I'm sure he has beautiful explanation. I am guessing it's not Mazda's fault :D.

Seriously, please update us. Was there any sign when you first got it? Pretty sure it was faulty in the beginning.

We've seen several 2016 CX-5's in this community with several thousand miles on it having automatic transmission replacement. Consider the minimum number of CX-5 owners in here among all CX-5 owners in the US, I can smell there're lots more having the same problem. My guess is there was a batch of transmission parts having the quality issues which cause the transmission to fail. This is not a good feeling for us with many transmission replacements at such an early stage for 2016 CX-5's! I can feel your pain and hope you still have confidence with quality and reliability on Mazda's.

Last edited:
First sign was last Saturday when I put in in drive - then hit the gas and the RPM's went up and CLUNK into gear.

Now it does that 7 out of 10 times.

Part takes 2 days to 2 weeks to get and a full day to put in.

Told me I'd get a rental car - then asked me for a $250 deposit. LOL - said nope, give me my key and call me when it comes in and I'll bring you my car.

Stopped in to the Toyota dealer last night. They offered me $27K for my CX5 on a fully loaded Prius. Signed the deal - told them about the tranny and they said - get it fixed - and by the time your car is located and transported we will be good to go.

He also said "if the repair is not done by the time your new car is ready - as long as there is an open ticket - we're all good to go."

First sign was last Saturday when I put in in drive - then hit the gas and the RPM's went up and CLUNK into gear.

Now it does that 7 out of 10 times.

Part takes 2 days to 2 weeks to get and a full day to put in.

Told me I'd get a rental car - then asked me for a $250 deposit. LOL - said nope, give me my key and call me when it comes in and I'll bring you my car.
The symptom seems all the same - delayed shift. In fact I knew you might need a new transmission when people suggested you doing a PCM refresh.

I though Mazda should provide a loaner car for free as many people had done that? Or you can use Roadside Assist warranty? I'd call Mazda North American Operations and ask for a free loaner car for the situation like this!

Stopped in to the Toyota dealer last night. They offered me $27K for my CX5 on a fully loaded Prius. Signed the deal - told them about the tranny and they said - get it fixed - and by the time your car is located and transported we will be good to go
So you're giving up on your 2016 CX-5.... I don't blame you though!

$27K for your 2016 CX-5? That's an excellent trade-in value! Our 2016 CX-5 GT w/Tech could only get $22K trade-in even if it gets fixed by PDR with new windshield.

I'll do the same if I could get $27K. Not a Prius but a Lexus RX or NX where my wife has always been wanted.

My mind continues to be boggled by people who bought CX-5's trading them on a whim for vehicles that offer COMPLETELY different capabilities. Why on earth would you bother with a CX-5 if all you need is a little car? Or a big truck? Etc?

Shop around and tell them what your looking for. Their original offer was $25. They came up on the CX and down in the Prius.

I'm not ok with a car that needs a new transmission at 11K miles. But I will say this. the Toyota dealer didn't seem to care at all.

He was like "so, what's your point" while smiling.

Because I wanted it. It's not a whim - it's a want. I have no kids - an excellent job that I'm very grateful for - and a wife who allowes it :)

I also bought this >> on a whim :) and it's a keeper.

Did you have the transmission replaced too?

I mean it's a new transmission - and I am sure all will be absolutely fine - I just don't need that thought in the back of my head when I'm 1200 miles away from home on a road trip.

Gonna give the Prius a run. If I don't like it - I'll replace it :)

Buy a LEXUS or something, why would you want a Prius. Prius is a joke, if you like electric car why don't you keep drive your cx-5 and order the model 3.

Most popular and reliable electric car ever made to date - not so sure I consider it a joke.

But I respect your opinion.

I'm finished with Mazda.

Because I wanted it. It's not a whim - it's a want. I have no kids - an excellent job that I'm very grateful for - and a wife who allowes it :)

I also bought this >> on a whim :) and it's a keeper.

OOH! Now that's purty!

So, are these early 2016's that are having these problems??? Mind if I ask what was the build date of your CX-5????

My mind continues to be boggled by people who bought CX-5's trading them on a whim for vehicles that offer COMPLETELY different capabilities. Why on earth would you bother with a CX-5 if all you need is a little car? Or a big truck? Etc?

+1
CX-5 to Prius does not make sense at all to me. Also, if the transmission unit is replaced, why would you not trust this car?
I don't think there is any mechanical difference in the transmission between 2016 and 2013-2015 models. So far, there were only small trickle of occasional transmission issue. Sorry it had to be you, but I don't see a trend.

My wife used to drive a Prius few years ago. While I respect the technology in that car and useful hatch, that car was not a fun car to drive. It was also not as reliable as we hoped it would be. The new ones are hideous inside and out.
Keep in mind that the new gen Prius is mechanically different than previous years ... and it is the first year of this gen.
Good luck!

Wouldn't even know where to start to look for that but I picked it up July 4th weekend 2015.

Do I need another fun car to drive? :)

I bought it for reliability - so far I've had to have a rim replaced for being manufactured out of balance, I've had to have the leather replaced on one seat because of splitting, I've had to have the motor replaced on the drivers seat for burning up, then the recall on the fuel thingy and now a full transmission replacement.

I bought it because I liked it. Not for any other reason. If I have the means to get a new car every month - why not if it floats my boat?

I tried the Mercedes GLA250 and hated it, sold it with less than 1000 miles on it to get the CX5 and now flipping again.

Weird part - before the Mercedes I had 3 commuter Honda civics which were all driven way past 120-180K.

Back