Possible to upgrade the USB ports? (2 amp+)

:
2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD + Tech
As an alternative to running a charging cable from the 12v outlet is it at all possible upgrade the charging capability of the stock USB ports? I'm more than willing to drop whatever integration is presently in place with the Infotainment system.

2016.5 GT + Tech

Last edited:
I was wondering the same thing the other day. Are you sure they are all the 1.5 amp? I looked for some numbers around the outlet before but didn't see any, and didn't have my manual in the car.

"Y" Cable..??

As an alternative to running a charging cable from the 12v outlet is it at all possible upgrade the charging capability of the stock USB ports? I'm more than willing to drop whatever integration is presently in place with the Infotainment system.

2016.5 GT + Tech

I've been looking at those USB Male- Male to single Female cable

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I found a post about someone who had the same idea and turned out the Y cable provided next to no improvement (headshake

Many modern cell phones need closer to 2 amps to provide decent charging times, and tablets need it for the sheer size of battery. It's also the power needed to overcome the minimum power needed to keep the device running while also charging it.

Until car makers change this I think we're stuck with getting something like this..
https://www.amazon.ca/Charger-Archeer-Powerful-Adapter-Samsung/dp/B01DEM7HYW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1472952569&sr=8-4&keywords=car+12v+to+usb+2+amp <-- 2 port 2.4 amp each USB, 12v adapter.

Yes, some are confused thinking that it is a USB charge port, when in reality, it is simply for connecting to the infotainment system.

I think a limiting factor is the max current a USB cable can carry. The wire gauge is not very high in these cables. Not sure if they are rated for 2 amps.

Yes, some are confused thinking that it is a USB charge port, when in reality, it is simply for connecting to the infotainment system.

That's just silly of Mazda to do this.

If you're going on a 6 hour road trip and use nav and Music, you're operating at a net power loss, it should be at least enough to maintain the dang charge. annoying.

If you're going on a 6 hour road trip and use nav and Music, you're operating at a net power loss, it should be at least enough to maintain the dang charge. annoying.

It really depends on how much your phone is drawing. Most home and car phone chargers are now over 2.0 amps, that is why you want to plug in to the 12v and use a proper phone charger. I do not think it is a Mazda only thing, it is simply a limitation of the manufacturer of the stereo/infotainment system not being designed to push out a lot of amperage to charge todays tablets/phones...

Keep in mind that this will be something that we should see improve in tomorrows cars, but since this same "current" infotainment system was first designed back in the flip phone days... circa 2012 and first introduced way back in mid 2013 on the 2014Mazda3, so it is rather behind the times.

Hopefully your BMW M4 USB charge port is able to keep up better?

I use nav w/ bluetooth all the time and it maintains fine.

Also, it follows USB 2.0 spec to the letter. USB 3 wasn't set when the circuitry was designed (USB 3 has a higher power amp spec)

Well, you can charge with it, but as with most car makers they chose to follow the specification which has rather low amperage in it.

I lose charge while it's plugged in and am using it, I'm. Not making this up.

I'm not upset about it, but it seems kinda silly..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disclaimer - I take no responsibility for damage!

Option 1: Get a powered USB Hub - and power it from a 12V source. I am not 100% sure if the linux build installed in the infotainment system supports generic hubs, but I can't see why not.
Option 2: Hack a "Y" cable with a separate 12v charger on the power lines. General concept: Plug one of the leads in the mazda USB port. Cut the +V wire (red) connected to the port (not the -V wire, so that "-" is common). Plug a Male-Male USB cable between the Y Connector and the 12V charger. Plug the phone in the remaining port.

Back