How is your paint holding up?

How's your paint holding up?

• I have a tri-coat paint less than 3 years and its already showing its age (paint is rather thin)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a tri-coat paint less than 3 years and its fine

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • I have a tri-coat paint more than 3 years and its already showing its age (paint is rather thin)

• I have a tri-coat paint more than 3 years and its fine

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • I dont have tri-coat paint less than 3 years and its already showing its age (paint is rather thin)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • I dont have tri-coat paint less than 3 years and its fine

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • I dont have tri-coat paint more than 3 years and its already showing its age (paint is rather thin)

• I dont have tri-coat paint more than 3 years and its fine

• Total voters

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
Number of times I see off and on posts on quality of Mazda paint - some say its comparable to others of today's age while others comment on thinness of the paint in general. This poll is to take an overall perspective of this.

TRI-COAT:
SOUL RED
WHITE

All other OEM colors are standard double-coat.

Last edited:
I don't know what kind of paint I have but after a year it still looks showroom quality. I did apply Optimum Gloss Coat shortly after buying it and hand wash it regularly. It looks dazzling under lights.

I have a 2015, and it has a few scratches, peck marks, and swirls, but over-all, I'm fine with it. It's "pretty" paint, and it's holding up average, I'd say.

I have one little nick I put in the bumper from gragging something rough out of the back, and it took out this small nick. I ordered the genuine Mazda touch-up, and it did good enough, if you didn't know it was there, you'r probably not notice it. (Soul Red), other than that, no other blemishes that I'm aware of.

Don't know also what paint my ride has, but there's already some light scratches and swirl marks. I'm thinking of using the optimum poliseal since I heard lots of good things about it.

Soul red and very happy with paint after 2&1/2 years. NuFinish on my garage kept vehicle with 23,000 miles. Ed

Just updated the 1st. post to indicate what's tri-coat and what's not.

I'm not sure what paint combo I have. 2014 Grey with Bose. But the paint is ******* terrible. Scratches and chips and the slightest bump, almost bad enough to recommend never buying another Mazda.

My paint is OK, but I don't mistreat it, garage kept and washed regularly.

This is like predicting brake pad wear; some will last 100,000 miles and others just 20,000 miles. If you don't take care of it than it won't last as long. Too many variables too like cold weather climates where salt and sand blasts paint off vs others like Southern California where the climate is warm and stable year round and easy on your paint.

Take these pole results lightly.

Even the higher end paints suck!

I'm not sure what paint combo I have. 2014 Grey with Bose. But the paint is ******* terrible. Scratches and chips and the slightest bump, almost bad enough to recommend never buying another Mazda.

In today's wonderful world, even the higher end paints suck. My cars have always been garaged and cleaned regularly, but paint is still thin...AND SUCKY

Back