MSP Engine out and torn down

peeenl

:
2001 Mazda MP3
The MP3 is running pretty well now, so I've moved on to the MSP. I've pulled the engine and torn it completely down. No surprise that the head gasket was totally blown. Even some rust on one person and on one cylinder wall. I'm taking that to the machine shop to see if it's salvageable. It also had some rust on the lobes of the cams, still I'm taking them in too along with the head. I also saw it had a bent rod.

First real question though: how do you remove the oil squirters? I had never seen them in an engine before, and made the mistake of trying to turn them out. Now they are definitely messed up (i think they were bad already though) but i couldn't get them out.

My second set of questions is all about the turbo setup. I took a bunch of pictures and spentalot of time looking, but i don't think it was all attached correctly. I'm also not sure it's the original engine with the windage tray. It does haveone oil line attached to the windage tray just under the turbo, but the it had the donut connector under the oil filter as well. Is that right?

Then it looks to me like a coolant line was connected to the oil donut. I'm thinking that can't be right. Then the braided line (which i thought was an oil line seemed to be on a t fitting where what i think the temperature sensor is, instead of the oil donut like i thought it should be.

I'll try and post some pictures from my phone to help show the connections. I'll admit I've never done anything turbo before, and I'm excited to learn.

The turbo had 4 lines coming out. I'm assuming that's oil in, oil out, coolant in, coolant out. Is that right?

The MP3 is running pretty well now, so I've moved on to the MSP. I've pulled the engine and torn it completely down. No surprise that the head gasket was totally blown. Even some rust on one person and on one cylinder wall. I'm taking that to the machine shop to see if it's salvageable. It also had some rust on the lobes of the cams, still I'm taking them in too along with the head. I also saw it had a bent rod.

First real question though: how do you remove the oil squirters? I had never seen them in an engine before, and made the mistake of trying to turn them out. Now they are definitely messed up (i think they were bad already though) but i couldn't get them out.

My second set of questions is all about the turbo setup. I took a bunch of pictures and spentalot of time looking, but i don't think it was all attached correctly. I'm also not sure it's the original engine with the windage tray. It does haveone oil line attached to the windage tray just under the turbo, but the it had the donut connector under the oil filter as well. Is that right?

Then it looks to me like a coolant line was connected to the oil donut. I'm thinking that can't be right. Then the braided line (which i thought was an oil line seemed to be on a t fitting where what i think the temperature sensor is, instead of the oil donut like i thought it should be.

I'll try and post some pictures from my phone to help show the connections. I'll admit I've never done anything turbo before, and I'm excited to learn.

The turbo had 4 lines coming out. I'm assuming that's oil in, oil out, coolant in, coolant out. Is that right?

1. Not 100% sure, but I think the oil squirters are pressed in if I remember correctly...I'm pretty sure I read that on another engine build thread.

2.Pics would help, but on the stock msp setup the windage tray is where the oil drains from the turbo. The stock msp also came with an oil cooler that is cooled by the coolant, probably what you are seeing as the 'donut connector'.

3. That is correct on the 4 lines for the turbo.

Pictures

Turbo Setup 1.PNG
Turbo Setup 2.PNG
Turbo Setup 3.PNG
Turbo Setup 4.PNG

The braided line is the oil feed, the sensor is the oil pressure sensor not a coolant temp sensor. The oil cooler does have two coolant hoses running to them.

This may not be the best way but I took a hammer and chisel to the oil squirters and very carefully tapped them out. I had to hit one pretty good for it to come out. The new ones I had to carefully tap in as well.

Back