Just bought 2015 GS - steering question!

billyphatu

:
2015 CX-5 GS AWD Grey
Hi folks - been lurking around for a while ever since I knew I wanted a CX-5. Bit the bullet last weekend and bought a grey 2015 GS AWD with 20,000km. Came with remote start and navigation (actually I have to go back to load the nav, hopefully this means it's a later version of the system!). Not my first choice in colour but will hey the winter dirt will blend in a little more.

ffc107cd5d8d56fdeb0d698c2b2efa37x.jpg

We are very happy with it so far - love how smooth, robust and quiet it is even on Ontario roads. A few niggly annoyances that I will get over with time, and yes the infotainment lacks refinement (not a big deal for us). Also so far having gently driven 50/50 highway/city I am getting around 12 l/km which I hope will improve.

However, one larger concern I have is with the weight of the steering. The car went through a CPO inspection over the weekend and now - or so it feels - the steering seems heavier than during the test drive. My questions are: could an adjustment during the inspection have altered the steering system in some way? How heavy should the steering feel? Should I be able to turn the wheel with one hand? I know it's a subjective thing but my instinct tells me there's an issue even if just a slight one.

I have driven lots of different cars and SUVs recently (through test drives and rentals) and to me my CX-5 feels like much more of an effort to turn especially at <40kmh. When stationary it's not easy at all to turn the wheels and they tend to spring back a little. I don't like my steering to feel too light but I also like to be able to take turns with one hand and right now that's exhausting to do.

Any advice would be welcome!

the steering is a little tighter than most - you have to drive a mazda LOL

in motion, should be able to steer one handed - so maybe the inspection did do something - worthwhile getting it checked

nav system: the latest OS is 55.00.753
to check nav software
main screen
settings
system
about
version info

loading nav? maps is a sd card, which might be cheaper online - ebay or amazon for $75-$100 US (needs t be tom-tom maps

Not sure what a CPO inspection involves but I'd be checking the tire pressure. Maybe an overzealous tech thought you had too much? If it's not that, have it checked, my steering is certainly not exhausting.

Sorry - CPO = certified pre-owned. It's a full inspection and fine tuning of everything prior to delivery.

I am going to take it in and have a chat with a technician.

Another thing I noticed. Whenever I am stationary and shift between P/R/N/D, there is a really noticeable single judder between each shift, as in the whole vehicle rocks. ALSO, whenever I shift back into Park, there is a short and soft 'squeak'. This is my first ever AWD vehicle and I am not sure how much of this is normal...

the steering is a little tighter than most - you have to drive a mazda LOL

in motion, should be able to steer one handed - so maybe the inspection did do something - worthwhile getting it checked

nav system: the latest OS is 55.00.753
to check nav software

OP tag line indicates a 2015 with Tom Tom - above applies to 2016 ...

main screen
settings
system
about
version info

loading nav? maps is a sd card, which might be cheaper online - ebay or amazon for $75-$100 US (needs t be tom-tom maps

Last edited:
The steering is heavier than in a Honda Civic, but you should easily be able to turn with one hand. If its that heavy get it checked out, or ask to drive a second one on the lot for comparison. Good luck.

Thanks. I just can't tell if it's me having gotten used to the otherwise lighter steering of cars these days or if it's an actual problem. I've most recently been driving a 2014 VW Jetta, so I guess there will be a decent contrast. I've booked into the dealer for a check, so will find out soon enough.

Anyone have any advice on the 'squeak' when shifting to Park? Is this an AWD thing?

We are very happy with it so far - love how smooth, robust and quiet it is even on Ontario roads.

Congrats on the new ride!

Also so far having gently driven 50/50 highway/city I am getting around 12 l/km which I hope will improve.

Well it is winter time but that's abnormally low.

However, one larger concern I have is with the weight of the steering. The car went through a CPO inspection over the weekend and now - or so it feels - the steering seems heavier than during the test drive.

Sounds like they changed something.

When stationary it's not easy at all to turn the wheels and they tend to spring back a little!

You should be able to turn it without issue with one hand while the vehicle is stationary. It's normal for the steering wheel to spring back slightly but not a lot. All of the symptoms you mentioned (low mpg, smooth quiet ride on bad roads, heavy steering and wheel springing back) could be caused by low tire pressure.

I've driven Civics and Accord all my life. The steering on the CX5 is super heavy.

Almost as tight and heavy as my Corvette. But - I like it. It took getting used to.

I've driven a manual 1990 CRX si. Parallel parking meant a decent bicep/tricep workout!!!

Well it is winter time but that's abnormally low.

You should be able to turn it without issue with one hand while the vehicle is stationary. It's normal for the steering wheel to spring back slightly but not a lot. All of the symptoms you mentioned (low mpg, smooth quiet ride on bad roads, heavy steering and wheel springing back) could be caused by low tire pressure.

I am getting used to the steering now, though still seems heavier than the test drive for some reason. I check tire pressure and all were equal at around 34PSI. The temp in Toronto has been up and down recently, as low as 2C and high as 17C.

Still, after 5 days of gentle driving around the city at average 30-40 kmh I am getting an average of 15-16 l/100km (15-14mpg). This doesn't feel right to me. What sort of CURRENT l/100km should I be seeing when pulling off from 0? Mine's reading as high as 55 l/100 km for a couple of seconds and that's without pushing hard.

I am getting used to the steering now, though still seems heavier than the test drive for some reason. I check tire pressure and all were equal at around 34PSI.

When you say the pressures were "around" 34 psi, what do you mean. It is very important on a AWD to keep them at the same pressure.
Since it's a used vehicle, you may want to measure the tread depths also as you never know if the previous owner rotated them properly. All tires need to have the same outside diameter with AWD or it will cause additional parasitic drag which will impact fuel economy and tire life.

Still, after 5 days of gentle driving around the city at average 30-40 kmh I am getting an average of 15-16 l/100km (15-14mpg). This doesn't feel right to me.

That's way too low. If it was due to an engine issue I would expect to see an error code. Have you checked the wheels for brake drag? Are you warming the engine up while you do last minute stuff at home? Does your fuel tank have a slow leak?
Do you accelerate into stop lights?

Seriously, you need to find out what's wrong because that's just not normal.

When you say the pressures were "around" 34 psi, what do you mean. It is very important on a AWD to keep them at the same pressure.
Since it's a used vehicle, you may want to measure the tread depths also as you never know if the previous owner rotated them properly. All tires need to have the same outside diameter with AWD or it will cause additional parasitic drag which will impact fuel economy and tire life.

I checked them briefly on a gas station guage. They all read the same. Treads are all the same and in good shape.

Have you checked the wheels for brake drag? Are you warming the engine up while you do last minute stuff at home? Does your fuel tank have a slow leak?
Do you accelerate into stop lights?

How do I check for brake drag? One thing I noticed around the brakes is a metallic gold fluid that looks fresh, with some light transfer to the wheels. What would this be?
Yes I am warming the engine up using the remote start. No gas leaks that I've noticed. I've been very easy on the acceleration, deliberately driving gently to check fuel consumption.

Still, after 5 days of gentle driving around the city at average 30-40 kmh I am getting an average of 15-16 l/100km (15-14mpg). This doesn't feel right to me.

Have you reset the fuel economy display since taking the vehicle? * Perhaps the previous owner had a lead foot.*

So far, my 2.0L AWD is getting roughly 8.8L/100K city and 6.8L/100K highway.*

Les*

Congratulations on your new purchase. Did you look at mods yet? Maybe a set of summer wheels? Maybe tune?

Congratulations on your new purchase. Did you look at mods yet? Maybe a set of summer wheels? Maybe tune?

Thanks. I'd love to mod, but now that I've bought a CX-5, I'm broke (rollseyes)

Though maybe I'll start a penny jar for some new rims & tires. Not huge fan of the originals.

Back