08 Propeller Shaft Assembly

emann029

:
Mazda, CX-9 GT
I have a 2008 CX-9 GT that has been experiencing some vibration for about a month or so. I have read all the forum pages talking about vibration but some talk about the transfer case and others talk about Transmission issues. I have done some investigating and also looked under the car and noticed the front and rear drive shaft supports are TOAST.

I was quoted 1.5 hours of labor to have the supports replaced (which is reasonable to me). However, my mechanic informed me that a technical service bulletin was issued about the a known drive shaft issue requiring a re-design. Since it is not a saftey issue, it is not factory recall material.

My mechanic quoted me the new improved drive shaft (without the supports) for $707 with the same labor rate as just the supports.

My mechanic suggested to have the entire support replaced (for $900+) dollars. They say replacing just the supports, will lead me to having to replace them again in the near future.

My thinking is to just replace the supports since the originals lasted 160,000 miles. If I had the same luck with the last supports, I may not even have the car by the time the new ones fail?

Has anyone just replaced the drive shaft supports or did you have the whole shaft repaired?

Fixed?

I have a 2008 CX-9 GT that has been experiencing some vibration for about a month or so. I have read all the forum pages talking about vibration but some talk about the transfer case and others talk about Transmission issues. I have done some investigating and also looked under the car and noticed the front and rear drive shaft supports are TOAST.

I was quoted 1.5 hours of labor to have the supports replaced (which is reasonable to me). However, my mechanic informed me that a technical service bulletin was issued about the a known drive shaft issue requiring a re-design. Since it is not a saftey issue, it is not factory recall material.

My mechanic quoted me the new improved drive shaft (without the supports) for $707 with the same labor rate as just the supports.

My mechanic suggested to have the entire support replaced (for $900+) dollars. They say replacing just the supports, will lead me to having to replace them again in the near future.

My thinking is to just replace the supports since the originals lasted 160,000 miles. If I had the same luck with the last supports, I may not even have the car by the time the new ones fail?

Has anyone just replaced the drive shaft supports or did you have the whole shaft repaired?

Did you end up replacing the whole shaft or were you able to just have the mounts replaced? I have the same issue with my 2008 CX-9 with 126000 and was told the shaft was back ordered until May 2017.

Latest posts

Back