Driveshaft center bearings

Couldn't find this topic discussed here, but basically my center driveshaft bearing supports are shot. the rubber is all rotted out. I started noticing a clicking sound on deceleration which was not brake, or suspension related. Did some more inspecting and found the rotted rubber.

Mazda doesn't sell the parts, but I found them from a supplier. Now I have the dive shaft out, but I do not think that it can be taken apart. Anyone have and info on this? May just have to replace the whole drive shaft.

Just some more info

The local driveshaft shop in Atlanta confirmed these are non serviceable. So I have to replace the whole shaft. The new one is a 2 piece instead of the 3. bolt on bolt off....

You can still drive around in 2wd without the shaft so I retested to see if the clunking, knocking noise was still going on. It is.

Basically when I decelerate i hear a knocking sound. The brakes, calipers and rotors are new. The wheel bearings are new. the CVaxles are new. The shocks are new. the outer tie rods are new. the inners seemed ok, tight no wiggle. The balljoints are new. Other than this noise the car drives and runs great. It is driving me crazy.

how can you check the engine mount? I pulled the plastic cover off the mount and it has like a balloon on top that seems full of some kind of fluid. I tried to move the motor around but its solid. Rocking the car back and forth makes the motor move, but that seems like normal movement. No noise when rocking car back and forth....

Tried revving engine in gear with brakes on, I get one solid metallic click or ping noise and thats it. Motor doesn't move erratically. Shift to reverse and rev, one solid metallic ping. sometimes you can make it go creek creek creek then a ping noise. It has been doing that for a while now, only the First time you shift and start going in either direction.

Ill check out the mounts in the back for the knocking noise when slowing

how can you check the engine mount?
One foot on the brake, one foot on the throttle, put it in D, apply throttle. This applies torque to the engine, and if it moves a lot, the mount(s) are most likely worn out.

Obviously be very careful when doing this.

ok, thats what I tried, just normal looking movement. maybe an inch of travel. However, I do get one distinct pop, ping or creaking metallic noise when doing this. Sometimes if I get the rpms just right I can get it to creak a couple times in a row. Seems to be in the transmission as I have checked and replaced everything else that is in the driveline and suspension. At 180K miles most things were ready to be replaced any ways so not totally wasted money, but still no solution.

Back