Show me your Winter Wheels and tire combos.

Patrick,

I just picked up a new 2016 CX-5 and want to add a winter tire wheel package. I see you have already selected a 17" wheel and I think they look pretty cool. I have never changed wheels on a vehicle (have changed plenty of flat tires but this is swapping an OEM tire/wheel for another OEM tire wheel) and am leery about offset, hole pattens etc. Were these a direct bolt on without having to worry about my concerns?

NC

I am running Nokian Hakka 7 studded on Fast 17" wheels....love it so far, 4th winter on them this winter (3 on my 2013 cx-5 and it will be my first on the 2016) and still a lot of thread.

P1020284_vi.jpg

P1020282_vi.jpg

Last edited:
yes they pretty much were a direct bolt on, I just added a center bore centering rings (provided with the wheels 73mm to 67.1mm) to reduce the center bore of the wheels to better fit Mazda size. The bolt patterns needs to be 5x114.3 and the offset depends on how wide is your rim, but usually anything with ET35 or more (Mazda are ET50mm) would fit. Mine I thing were ET45mm.

there are excellent information here:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123812757-Complete-CX-5-Wheel-Specs

^Looks awesome. How does it sit compared to the stock wheels. Is it slightly more flush? Thanks.

its actually just slightly lower, the offset is about the same as stock 19". I just like how the wheels have slight concave look to them in the center.

Managed to find a good place locally with an extremely good color selection, so they had anthracite grey.

Here's a before/after...

iTWO6yI.jpg

You have an address or website? I would love to do mine in the same colour.

Would love to show you all my winter setup. I ordered 225/65R17 WS80 last Saturday from Costco in store since the new warehouse was running free install for the weekend and they have a $70 instant rebate on bridgestones right now. They had to order the correct size and told me they were in the local Bridgestone warehouse and would arrive in 1-2 days. They said the warehouse was just a few miles away from the Costco store. Didn't hear anything on Wednesday so I called in the evening and was told they'd be showing up Thursday. Heard nothing in Thursday. So I called this morning and they claim the computer system messed up and something about the wrong confirmation number or something. Now they won't be here until next Monday or Tuesday. Which is awesome considering we are expecting 8-10" of snow Friday night into Saturday morning!!!!! It's the first time dealing with Costco for tires and they really have dropped the ball.

MSW Type 85 16" in gunmetal gray with Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires. Sitting in a stack waiting to go on. Probably in a week or two. Tire Rack's CT distribution center is about 5 miles from where I work. Handy. Went with 16's for less money and more rubber between the pothole and the wheel. Went with the Scorpion Winters versus Blizzaks, X-Ice and the like for better handling when it's not snowing. It's a tradeoff, maybe I will like them, maybe hate them. Had Blizzaks on my Element, loved them in snow and ice, sucked on dry pavement. Wife has X-Ice's on her Fusion Sport and likes them so far.
DSC_0049-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys looking at putting on 18x8 +45 rims from my old mazda 6 on my 2014 cx-5 GT for the winter. Just wondering what tire size I should go with out of these 3 for winter.
235/60R18 - 6.5-8.5"
245/55R18 - 7.0-8.5"
255/55R18 - 7.0-9.0"

Cheers

Hey Daquronic, of your 3 choices the 235/60R18 would be better since the experts say narrower is better in deeper snow. Actually a 225/60R18 - 6.0-8.0" would be better in this regard and your speedometer reading would be closer. Hope this helps.

I just changed to my winter setup today:

• Mazda3 18" gunmetal rims (B45B-V3-810)
  • Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV (225/60R18)

attachment.php

DSC_4329.jpg

attachment.php

DSC_4332.jpg

attachment.php

DSC_4327.jpg

Finally got my winters on, bring on the snow:

- 17inch RWC MHK11 ANTHRACITE rims
(wrapped with)
- Falken HS449 EuroWinters (225\65\R17)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 279
  • FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    724.9 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
I just got this winter setup for my 16 FWD GT this past week. Theyre Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2 tires (225/70R16 ) on MSW Type 85 wheels. About $850 total after a $70 Michelin rebate from Tire Rack.

attachment.php

My initial reaction when driving the combo is very good. No snow here yet to play in but the return trip from Tire Rack in South Bend was made in the rain with 10-15 mph wind (some tail and some cross). There was some minor tire squirm at 65 mph at first but as the temperature dropped (into the low 40s) or the tires settled in it became much less noticeable. Fuel mileage is improved by maybe 2 or 3 mpg. A little of this might be the LRR of the Xi2s but the majority is probably the 14 lb reduction per wheel versus the OE 19s (59.5 45.5). Hydroplaning resistance seems excellent. I hit some standing water on a secondary road and the CX-5 just plowed thru it like it wasnt there. If snow performance is as good as wet and dry, Im a happy camper.

Took some pics while putting on the winter tires.
17" OEM tire and the General RT43 replacement and 16" Artic

Attachments

• stockrt43snow.JPG
    stockrt43snow.JPG
    1,011.9 KB · Views: 248
  • snowrims.JPG
    snowrims.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 238
Here's my winter setup: Blizzak WS80 225/65R17 wrap on Sport Edition F2's 17X7 with a 35mm Offset. I found the rims on CL near me for $125 for the set of four. They were used as winter rims on a RX-8 so the bolt pattern and hub bore spacing rim was already correct. The guy told me they were offset 45 but when I got to look at them they were indeed 35. Not a big deal, they looked straights with no major damage other then a bit of curb rash. I think they look pretty good on the car.

The pics are right after I got down washing with Optimum No Rinse and Shine for the first time followed by Megs Ultimate Detailer to help during drying. I am really impressed with the ONR but I'm going to try a grout sponge for the wash media, the stuff stained my white microfiber mitt.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
With the weather we've been having... I haven't even installed my winter wheels and tires yet. Thought about riding my motorcycle to work this morning, but didn't.

Back