2013~2016 CX-5 Rear Diff and Transfer Case Fluid Change: Tools, Parts and Links

There IS a front differential; it's in the transmission. There is a front transfer case, on the rear of the transmission. Change all of the lubes all at once. The ATF is type FZ and not easy to find. Check Amazon.

Ok, so there is a front differential, rear differential and a transfer case. Correct? Just wanted to be 100% sure. When you are saying front transfer case but on the rear (that sorta throws people off.....maybe LOL). Meaning I would need 6 washers TOTAL (front differential drain, front differential fill, rear differential drain, rear differential fill, transfer case drain, transfer case fill).

I plan to just bring it to the shops to do it. If I want them to do ATF I would need to order the Mazda ATF FZ. The differential I may just use whatever they have in stock. Drain and refill ATF only drains that much. You probably need to do it twice and I am not sure if they do any measurement for you or end up over filling or under filling.

Brake fluids at 32k........is that early or can wait a bit?

Just rear differential and what they call the front/transfer. No center diff

Rear differential and Transfer case. I need 4 washers?

I know where rear differential is. I jacked up the rear of the car with that many times. So going to the front there is only transfer case and no such thing as front differential for the cx?

I had an awd car before and there is front differential, transfer case and rear differential.

Correct. 4 Washers. I think the PNs were posted for the washers in this thread or another.

Correct... just the front diff... the CV joints come out of it.

My other two cars (G35x and GX) all have the center transfer cases like your previous vehicle. The CX just has the two service points. I found my rear diff factory low on fluid.

Correct. 4 Washers. I think the PNs were posted for the washers in this thread or another.

Correct... just the front diff... the CV joints come out of it.

My other two cars (G35x and GX) all have the center transfer cases like your previous vehicle. The CX just has the two service points. I found my rear diff factory low on fluid.

My previous awd was a G35x too. Wait you said front differential again. So does CX have rear different + transfer case or rear differential + front differential???????

IIRC....Front Transfer is what Mazda calls it.... I personally call it a Front Diff. Same fluid used as the rear diff. No Transfer Case.

[Rear Diff] - DRIVESHAFT - [Front Diff/Front Transfer]

Driveshaft goes directly from this front diff/transfer to the rear diff....

IIRC....Front Transfer is what Mazda calls it.... I personally call it a Front Diff. Same fluid used as the rear diff. No Transfer Case.

[Rear Diff] - DRIVESHAFT - [Front Diff/Front Transfer]

Driveshaft goes directly from this front diff/transfer to the rear diff....

Ok, got it. 4 washers it is! I always thought all AWD vehicles have front diff / transfer case / rear diff.

I think it is a fairly common setup today on FWD biased AWD systems. I think the RWD biased systems like what is used in the G35x still have a transfer case.

Doesn’t make a right lot of difference but I think it’s gearbobox with diff, transfer box, drive shaft, rear diff.

Rear Diff and Transfer Case Fluid Change: tools parts and links

Doesnt make a right lot of difference but I think its gearbobox with diff, transfer box, drive shaft, rear diff.
Front differential is within the transmission case, hence uses ATF like many FWD vehicle as transaxle.

Front differential is within the transmission case, hence uses ATF like many FWD vehicle as transaxle.
The transfer case does NOT use ATF!

According to my manual the transfer case uses the same oil as the rear diff.
I was talking about front differential, not the front transfer case. Front transfer case on CX-5 AWD is a stand-alone unit which doesnt include front differential. Think of FWD CX-5 where the front differential and automatic transmission are in one unit as the transaxle, hence all use ATF for lubrication. For AWD it adds a front transfer case and transfer the power to rear differential.

Great thread. I bought a CPO 2015 CX5 and wanted to change the transfer and differential fluid. The OP amazon links are broken, which think would be normal.

OEMTOOLS 22297 23 mm Metric Socket https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

OEMTOOLS 22298 3/8 Drive Socket- 24 mm https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Will add the alternative compression washer. Grear price for quantity.
Dorman 095-149 Aluminum Oil Drain Plug Gasket - Fits M18, Pack of 10 https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I bought Amsoil Severe Gear[emoji768] 75W-90 for my change. Bought 3 quarts, Front transfer case took about 0.6L. Had little under 0.5L left in bottle. The rear differential I opened fresh bottle and it took 0.8L. Pumped in until the fluid started coming out.

My front transfer case full hole has like a inner ring in the hole. Very tight to get the pump tube in. Back was fine went right in. I was able to torque all except rear fill bolt to 30 lbs.

I was talking about front differential, not the front transfer case. Front transfer case on CX-5 AWD is a stand-alone unit which doesn’t include front differential. Think of FWD CX-5 where the front differential and automatic transmission are in one unit as the transaxle, hence all use ATF for lubrication. For AWD it adds a front transfer case and transfer the power to rear differential.

Oh...did I mess up scheduling a rear diff and transfer case oil change? I am missing a front differential?

Oh...did I mess up scheduling a rear diff and transfer case oil change? I am missing a front differential?
No, front differential is built inside of transmission. As it's part of transmission/transaxle it's lubricated by ATF.

⋯ I bought Amsoil Severe Gear[emoji768] 75W-90 for my change. Bought 3 quarts, Front transfer case took about 0.6L. Had little under 0.5L left in bottle. The rear differential I opened fresh bottle and it took 0.8L. Pumped in until the fluid started coming out.

My front transfer case full hole has like a inner ring in the hole. Very tight to get the pump tube in. Back was fine went right in. I was able to torque all except rear fill bolt to 30 lbs.
Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 should be packaged in 1 US quart (0.946 L) bottle instead of 1 L. Mazda specifies 0.48 US quarts capacity on both front transfer case and rear differential on 1st-gen CX-5 AWD. Now we know those capacities giving by Mazda are not accurate. Especially the capacity of rear differential which is way off!

Does anyone know what the part number is for the drain bolt on the transfer case/rear diff? There's (9951-11-800), but I think that's the fill bolt, and the parts diagrams I've found so far don't seem to have the drain bolt listed anywhere.

It's not the end of the world if I can't find new ones, but the bolt heads on my 2014 are rather rusted, so I figure I might as well swap them out while changing the diff fluid if I can.

Just did mine as well, it was badly needed. Thanks OP sooo much for a detailed write-up. Those sockets came in clutch!

Attachments

• IMG_20200910_163026.jpg
    IMG_20200910_163026.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_20200910_163604.jpg
    IMG_20200910_163604.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_20200910_173500.jpg
    IMG_20200910_173500.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_20200910_173652.jpg
    IMG_20200910_173652.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 207
Does anyone know the viscosity of the SG1 fluid?

I would ask what the viscosity will tell you or what path of research you are headed down?

Andnope, no one on the internet's most busy oil forum have not chimed in.

sort of some info in this thread:

And I would caution of relying on viscosity as a measure of compatible oil.

seriously just buy the required SG1 - there are SO many threads to find a less expensive alternative.. but the magic blend simply is magic :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back