Nail puncture - should I replace the tires ?

sisvoler

:
Mazda CX-5
Got a nail close to the side of the tire (see below). Do I really need to replace it? Cuz Walmart auto center says it cannot be patched.

My CX-5 only got 16000 miles on it. :(

Do I need to replace all 4 tires since it's touring AWD? What tires would you recommend if replacement is unavoidable?

Thanks!

7526692737222255298.jpg

Update:

I went to a local tire shop and had it patched. The guys there seem to be professional, though the price is quadruple of walmart's. They said that safety might sacrifice a little bit, especially when hitting a curve, but it should be ok to drive on highways. Thanks for your suggestions, otherwise I'll be buying a new set of tires now. (hear ya)(yippy)

Last edited:
Take the tire somewhere else and have it patched. The puncture is in the tread, NOT in the sidewall!

I had a puncture in almost the exact same location and it was able to be patched without any hassle. As stated, go to another tire shop.

I've had similar damage patched, looks like they did a bubble test to see if it was actually through or not, as an aside, probably wouldn't take my car to a Walmart ever LOL.

That is a subjective call and many shops would not patch it. Since the CX5 is not a true full time all wheel drive, I would get another tire and put it on the rear of the car. The front wheels do all of the driving except when they start to slip. Good luck finding someone that will patch it and it should be done from the inside of the tire and not a plug for best safety. Ed

i'll echo everyone else in saying that you should take it to an actual tire shop. I wouldn't rust my car to walmart no matter how cheap their prices are. If a reputable tire shop says it can't be patched, I would trust them. It looks like it should be able to be fixed as it is in the thread of the tire. Close to the side wall but still in the tread. Good luck and let us know what comes of it.

Edit #1: since it was good question and I didn't know for sure what the area of the tire is that can be repaired I looked it up. Unfortunately, it looks like you're going to have to replace the tire. Most online resources say its only acceptable to repair a tire if the puncture is no larger the 1/4" in diameter and in the center section of the threads. It looks like that nail you got is on the outer shoulder of thread which puts in the red zone for repairs.

That being said, depending on how old and how many miles are on your tires you might be able to find a used tire at a local shop that would get you by until a full set is needed. I know the place by me gets a bunch of people looking for custom wheels and tires and the take off tires are still in great shape. It's a long shot but you could call around. then Again if the other tires are like new with lots of thread life left a new tire shouldn't make a difference. I have also heard of shops that can shave a tire so you might be able to get a shop to shave the tire to the same thread depth of the others for even wear if you can find the exact same tire. Good luck and sorry for your bad luck.

Edit #2: Looks tire rack offers the service of tire shaving for the exact reason you'd be worried about. Same thread depth on all tires with AWD systems. Heres the link:

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/todds-tire-decision-guide/replacing-one-tire-on-an-awd-vehicle

Last edited:
The tire can easily be plugged, but probably not patched that close to the sidewall.

Some people/shops are anti-plug because it is not as safe or reliable as doing a proper patch. (also way less money and profit for a shop) If done correctly though you should still be able to easily get another 10k+ miles out of the tire.

I've had similar damage patched, looks like they did a bubble test to see if it was actually through or not, as an aside, probably wouldn't take my car to a Walmart ever LOL.

Walmart people may have some rules that they cannot patch it within certain distance from the edge. LOL

That is a subjective call and many shops would not patch it. Since the CX5 is not a true full time all wheel drive, I would get another tire and put it on the rear of the car. The front wheels do all of the driving except when they start to slip. Good luck finding someone that will patch it and it should be done from the inside of the tire and not a plug for best safety. Ed

A local tire shop patched it. I guess they patched from inside because they tore it off from the rim. I'll drive for some time to see what happens. Thanks!

i'll echo everyone else in saying that you should take it to an actual tire shop. I wouldn't rust my car to walmart no matter how cheap their prices are. If a reputable tire shop says it can't be patched, I would trust them. It looks like it should be able to be fixed as it is in the thread of the tire. Close to the side wall but still in the tread. Good luck and let us know what comes of it.

Edit #1: since it was good question and I didn't know for sure what the area of the tire is that can be repaired I looked it up. Unfortunately, it looks like you're going to have to replace the tire. Most online resources say its only acceptable to repair a tire if the puncture is no larger the 1/4" in diameter and in the center section of the threads. It looks like that nail you got is on the outer shoulder of thread which puts in the red zone for repairs.

That being said, depending on how old and how many miles are on your tires you might be able to find a used tire at a local shop that would get you by until a full set is needed. I know the place by me gets a bunch of people looking for custom wheels and tires and the take off tires are still in great shape. It's a long shot but you could call around. then Again if the other tires are like new with lots of thread life left a new tire shouldn't make a difference. I have also heard of shops that can shave a tire so you might be able to get a shop to shave the tire to the same thread depth of the others for even wear if you can find the exact same tire. Good luck and sorry for your bad luck.

Edit #2: Looks tire rack offers the service of tire shaving for the exact reason you'd be worried about. Same thread depth on all tires with AWD systems. Heres the link:

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/todds-tire-decision-guide/replacing-one-tire-on-an-awd-vehicle

Thanks for your explanation in detail! I went to a tire shop that has the highest ratings on Google map nearby. They patched it. So I guess it should be fine. Your suggestion about getting a pair of used tire as replacement is very helpful. Will do it next time when the tire cannot be repaired anymore.

The tire can easily be plugged, but probably not patched that close to the sidewall.

Some people/shops are anti-plug because it is not as safe or reliable as doing a proper patch. (also way less money and profit for a shop) If done correctly though you should still be able to easily get another 10k+ miles out of the tire.

I got it patched finally. Plug doesn't sound safe to me either. I would replace the tires instead of plug it if it cannot be patched. Thanks!

A local tire shop patched it. I guess they patched from inside because they tore it off from the rim. I'll drive for some time to see what happens. Thanks!

They used a patch plug then. That's the right way to do it. I put around 40K on a tire that I had that done to due to a nail before I sold the car. No issues.

It'll be fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

I got it patched finally. Plug doesn't sound safe to me either. I would replace the tires instead of plug it if it cannot be patched. Thanks!

I've never had a problem with the plugs. Remember car tires so not have crazy high PSI in them. 36psi really isn't that much. I agree the a patch on this inside is probably best. I've seen people do both, put the plug in from the outside, and a patch on the inside, double security. Glad you were able to get it fixed and didn't need to shell out for a new tire.

The issue with a puncture in the shoulder area isn't with plugging or patching the hole, it's the potential to havbe internal damage to the structure of the tire. Yeah, 99 times out of 100 you'll never have an issue, but that other 1% is ugly.

Latest posts

Back