Just another yellow P5 build...

Well I'm stumped... Could be the motor, the stock, or some relay that may or may not exist.

I'm kinda thinking an in line switch won't help either ??

Maybe do the bench test on your new motor just to verify that it's functioning properly...

Anyway, I pull the plug and whip out the test light. There are 4 pins in the plug. When wipers are OFF only the lower right pin gets power, when I bump the stalk up to start the single wipe action, the upper left pin lights up for as long as I hold it. If I go to intermittent (which is the problem), the upper right pin lights up and stays on. I can turn off the switch, but the light still stays on. It's supposed to turn off. I swap stalks, the problem still persists.

I think I need to find the "intermittent wiper relay" if there us such a physical thing outside the stalk itself.

I just reread this and it really does sound like there is a relay and your motor and stock are fine.

I'm kinda doubting the relay would be built into the stock.

Maybe try listening really carefully for the click of a relay when you turn the intermittent on.

It looks like pin C of the wiper stock connector comes from the relay... Maybe try to trace that wire.

Another thing that comes to mind is the mod. for changing out the wiper stock for one with an adjustable timer for the intermittent setting.

From what I remember you just swap them... No mention of a relay ??
That leads me to believe that the relay is built into the stock ???

OK.. I found this... It's saying that the stock and module are the same piece.
Which in turn suggests that you have a second bad stock ??

Unless there is some kind of faulty wiring that's making your stock act up ??

Did your wipers misbehave in exactly the same way when you swapped stocks ??

Maybe get a used stock off a MPV... It might fix your problem and you'll end up with variable intermittent wipers.

OK.. I found this... It's saying that the stock and module are the same piece.
Which in turn suggests that you have a second bad stock ??

Unless there is some kind of faulty wiring that's making your stock act up ??

Did your wipers misbehave in exactly the same way when you swapped stocks ??

Maybe get a used stock off a MPV... It might fix your problem and you'll end up with variable intermittent wipers.

Yeah, they both acted the same way. And one of them is an mpv stock. I guess I'll track down another.

Hey nice build mann...I'm building my brothers motor protegespeed...need some help...

Yeah, they both acted the same way. And one of them is an mpv stock. I guess I'll track down another.
Well that sucks... I hate to see you just throw parts and money at it.
The only other thing I can think of is some kind of broken or shorted wire ???

Is there any way you can test your stocks on some other car ??

I'm @ 98445 zip, rite now I'm researching the piston cooling nozzle, machine shop took em off, going .20 over, so do I need em?

Well that sucks... I hate to see you just throw parts and money at it.
The only other thing I can think of is some kind of broken or shorted wire ???

Is there any way you can test your stocks on some other car ??
My aunt has a p5, maybe I'll have to go pay her a visit.

Wired in a switch for my wipers. Hollowed out one of the blanks and put it in.

20170320_232943_zpso7juwdlc.jpg

Also installed my new uncracked fog light, rewrapped them with new yellow vinyl, and installed a set of 3000k h3 hids, which fit fine, no need for h3c. Pics to come soon.

20170320_162903_zpsj5bwotsa.jpg

Wired in a switch for my wipers. Hollowed out one of the blanks and put it in.

20170320_232943_zpso7juwdlc.jpg

So is that like a master kill switch ???

Do you have to hit the switch at the right time so the wipers aren't halfway up the windshield ??

So is that like a master kill switch ???

Do you have to hit the switch at the right time so the wipers aren't halfway up the windshield ??

My wipers function normally 98% of the time, but yes if they start freaking out, I think I have to time it. But if it's dry out I just leave the switch off so they don't turn on. It's not a big deal, and the switch looks so good that I honestly don't even mind. Just glad I don't have to put any more money or thought into it. Also, when I kill the switch, I can usually turn it back on and they'll go back down to normal resting position/behavior.

My wipers function normally 98% of the time, but yes if they start freaking out, I think I have to time it. But if it's dry out I just leave the switch off so they don't turn on. It's not a big deal, and the switch looks so good that I honestly don't even mind. Just glad I don't have to put any more money or thought into it. Also, when I kill the switch, I can usually turn it back on and they'll go back down to normal resting position/behavior.

If you want to test another stalk, I have my OE one laying around after I upgraded to an Escape stalk ($24 on eBay for a used working pull)

Back