2016 CX-5 Touring driver's seat rocks slightly

I've had a BMW that had a seat that rocked and the dealer could never fix it. I've had an Audi with the most comfortable 10 way power seat ever and it was solid.

The seat in my 2016 CX-5 GT rocks back and forth. I'm going to have the dealer fix it until they ask me not to come back.

- - - - -

Let us know how it goes. I have less than 2,000 miles before my first oil change and it would be great to go to the dealer armed with information. Thanks.

My 2013 CX-5 Touring driver's seat just plain rocks! Not side to side, just all day comfort, support and breathability.
(lol2) I guess we're the lucky one's. Hope we won't have this issue ever (knock on wood)!

Hello folks. Just picked up my 2016 CX-5 Grand Touring and noticed the slight rocking in the drivers seat after the second day. What was the final solution to this? Thanks!

I have not brought it in yet. I'm waiting for the first service to have them address the seat and update the infotainment system.

Add me to the list, 2 week old GT with both front-to-back and side-to-side rocking. I'll be contacting the dealer today and will update my post if there's any resolution.

Edit: It's going into the dealership on Saturday for them to look at this and also do the V55 update. Service dept wasn't aware of a TSB for the seat but are going to do more research.

Last edited:
Any update folks? I am experiencing this problem. Plan on getting first oil change soon and would like some ammo to tell them what exactly needs to be done. Thanks!

Any update folks? I am experiencing this problem. Plan on getting first oil change soon and would like some ammo to tell them what exactly needs to be done. Thanks!

My dealership contacted Mazda who are sending new rails and spacers. They should be arriving imminently, will provide part numbers etc if the problem is resolved.

I just joined the forum and a new Mazda CX5 Sport AWD owner. I thought I was crazy when my seat rocked but apparently there are many with this issue, not sure if it is worth going to the dealer to get it fixed but if the issue is going to come back anyway I don't want to waste my time/have the dealer touch my car.

Wow, there seems to be a theme here with this. I took my 2016 GT in for the software upgrade yesterday and told them about the slight rocking in my chair. They are ordering new rails and installing on Monday. Hopefully this totally resolves the issue.

My wife's 13 does it. It's slightly annoying, but doesn't bother me much. It isn't just the seat back, but the entire assembly. I have to buy into the notion that it is related to the motorized mechanisms, as it is only an occurrence with the driver side, and not on the passenger in her Touring.

My 15 model 3 does not have this anomaly.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Doesn't bother me at all and it is such a miniscule thing, I would even brother a service department with it. Ed

Wow, there seems to be a theme here with this. I took my 2016 GT in for the software upgrade yesterday and told them about the slight rocking in my chair. They are ordering new rails and installing on Monday. Hopefully this totally resolves the issue.

KCSam, how's it going with the seat/rocking chair?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just got it done yesterday afternoon. It's perfect. I asked the tech what was going on with the rails and he said there was a slight gap that caused it to "hump" and that was causing the slight rock. I'm happy to say all is well now.

Just got it done yesterday afternoon. It's perfect. I asked the tech what was going on with the rails and he said there was a slight gap that caused it to "hump" and that was causing the slight rock. I'm happy to say all is well now.

Interesting, mine is being worked on today and Mazda sent the dealership spacers as well as rails. If there's a slight gap then the spacers would make sense. Hopefully I get the same result as you!

Update: Just got a call from the dealership, one of the replacement rails was nice and tight, but the other one still exhibited the rocking problem. I wonder if they got an out of spec batch or something. Mazda are overnighting a replacement replacement to the dealership.

Last edited:
Good luck. I hope they get it right and you're happy with the results. I know I am.

Picked mine up late yesterday, and the rocking seat issue has been resolved. Yay! Here are the notes on the work order in case it helps anyone:

------------------------------------------------------------
Customer states excessive play in driver's seat.
Tech verified customer's concern.
Tech confirmed and installed new seat track to correct per tech line (#15218003).
After track replacement, tech road tested and found now when seat is going backward and forward it is extremely noisy and vibrating, and again has excessive play. Contacted tech line, was advised to swap motors from original seat track. Tech removed and replaced forward and backward motor, cable, and bracket and re-tested.

While it was obviously not a world-ending problem, it also wasn't something that I expected on a brand new car with an MSRP of close to $36K. Very happy with the way that both Mazda and the dealership dealt with it.

Picked mine up late yesterday, and the rocking seat issue has been resolved. Yay! Here are the notes on the work order in case it helps anyone:

Customer states excessive play in driver's seat.
Tech verified customer's concern.
Tech confirmed and installed new seat track to correct per tech line (#15218003).
After track replacement, tech road tested and found now when seat is going backward and forward it is extremely noisy and vibrating, and again has excessive play. Contacted tech line, was advised to swap motors from original seat track. Tech removed and replaced forward and backward motor, cable, and bracket and re-tested.

While it was obviously not a world-ending problem, it also wasn't something that I expected on a brand new car with an MSRP of close to $36K. Very happy with the way that both Mazda and the dealership dealt with it.
Glad to hear this annoying problem got resolved for you. Do you happen to know the tech actually replaced motors instead of replacement rail they told you on the phone? Or the tech put replacement replacement rail in and found more problems on motors?

Glad to hear this annoying problem got resolved for you. Do you happen to know the tech actually replaced motors instead of replacement rail they told you on the phone? Or the tech put replacement replacement rail in and found more problems on motors?

He replaced the seat track first and then noted a problem with noise / vibration whenever the seat was adjusted, as well as some play. He then also swapped out the forward / backward motor. Not noted (I think) is that Mazda overnighted a second replacement seat track to them as there was still excessive play on one side when they installed the first replacement.

Back