Exhaust - Stock vs. CS vs. Custom?

I build exhausts pretty regularly for local guys. I do $800 installed for a straight pipe turbo back with no cat or muffler, add ~$100 for each muffler, cat, and/or resonator. I can build you an exhaust and ship it, but I have no interest in trying to inventory exhausts. They're too big and too difficult to ship.

how much would shipping approx come out too?

The shipping is the killer. Take it someplace that is known to do quality work. A lot of shops will tell you they know what they're doing and then you'll pay top dollar for crappy work, done in aluminized, with crush bends. Every city has a couple people around that can turn out nice work - find one of those guys and support him. I'm happy to build something for you if you can't find anyone, but for something this physically large it makes more sense to keep it local if you can.

The shipping is the killer. Take it someplace that is known to do quality work. A lot of shops will tell you they know what they're doing and then you'll pay top dollar for crappy work, done in aluminized, with crush bends. Every city has a couple people around that can turn out nice work - find one of those guys and support him. I'm happy to build something for you if you can't find anyone, but for something this physically large it makes more sense to keep it local if you can.
Thanks Pope! Appreciate all the recommendations and offering as well. Love this forum and community!
Thank you all!

id just start with a custom midpipe the factory exhaust is quite good. nice bends and no real hangups. the pople is kind of an overkill downpipe for stock, but you could buy that and have somone mate it to a custom midpipe pretty easily and a lot cheaper than a full custom 3" back. another option im dabbling with for the msp is an electric cutout on a 3" midpipe, but mating to the stock exhaust. quiet for putting around town with the msp tone, but hit the boost the cutout opens. maybe have a little glasspack on it so it isnt STUPID loud but you can have the best of both worlds.

id just start with a custom midpipe the factory exhaust is quite good. nice bends and no real hangups. the pople is kind of an overkill downpipe for stock, but you could buy that and have somone mate it to a custom midpipe pretty easily and a lot cheaper than a full custom 3" back. another option im dabbling with for the msp is an electric cutout on a 3" midpipe, but mating to the stock exhaust. quiet for putting around town with the msp tone, but hit the boost the cutout opens. maybe have a little glasspack on it so it isnt STUPID loud but you can have the best of both worlds.

Thats a lot of junk to have going on under the car! A 3" straight back with a dynomax vt is quieter than stock at idle and part throttle and opens up great without ever getting too loud. Plus when you consider the cost of a decent cutout and what it would take to install you could have a very nice full system built. Turbos love big exhausts, give them what they want, and they respond with faster spooling, less heat buildup, and greater efficiency -> free power.

That Dynomax VT sound clip on their website is indeed quiet. But whatever the test vehicle was it sounded like an auto trans with an engine that turns a lot less RPMs then our MSPs while cruising. I had a Dynomax Super Turbo on my Probe GT and have their S/S Ultraflows on my Mustang. Dynomax definitely offers up performance without being obnoxious. Plus their mufflers seem to cost a lot less than a universal Greddy, HKS or other brand import canister.

Ended up getting my hands on a brand new CS 80mm exhaust. Got a great deal on it. The seller wasn't aware they were being discontinued until after the fact.

Ended up getting my hands on a brand new CS 80mm exhaust. Got a great deal on it. The seller wasn't aware they were being discontinued until after the fact.

Nice find, now you'll just need to kill the drone and you'll be set.

When are they getting dc? I might still try to get one...

I'm pretty sure they're already gone. When I talked to them a few months ago about some collaboration they made it pretty clear that they're getting completely out of the protege market.

They only had, like, 3 I believe at the end of last year and Andrew got the last one (80mm) they actually had in stock. He was told that by CS.

I want a Corksport downpipe, the two-piece version. No offense to you at all, Mr. P. I love my downpipe and I wouldn't actually swap it out, I just want to own one. lol

says backorder til june... but its still available on thier site. maybe if its still there by june ill just add one to cart and see what happens. doesnt make sense to me to just... STOP.. i mean unless they throw the jigs out, its money for them.

They did a re-run of the V2 downpipes at the end of 2012, so they could do it for anything else.

I want a Corksport downpipe, the two-piece version. No offense to you at all, Mr. P. I love my downpipe and I wouldn't actually swap it out, I just want to own one. lol

LOL... build a nice shadow box and you'll have some man cave decor :)

says backorder til june... but its still available on thier site. maybe if its still there by june ill just add one to cart and see what happens. doesnt make sense to me to just... STOP.. i mean unless they throw the jigs out, its money for them.

The problem is ordering in quantity. CS didn't / doesn't build them in house so they have to order 40+ at a time. There's a point at which you just won't get the sales to justify an entire batch. I'm sitting in a similar spot with downpipes and manifolds. I have about a 15 of each casting left and I have to decide soon if another run of 40 will sell.

Wow, I'm surprised you have that many left!

I ended up getting 37 manifolds total and I ordered 50 downpipes last winter. I've now sold well over 100 downpipes total and around 20 manifolds. I've been making money on the downpipes for a while now, but I still need to sell 7-8 manifolds just to break even. Considering I've only actually had manifolds in my possession to sell for 3-4 months I'm pretty happy with how they're selling, but it takes a while to cover the big costs associated with tooling for castings.

Back