MSP bad bearing noise turned out to be Axel shaft bearing

HCFL

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege Blazing Yellow
So here's my situation. One bearing was bad and has been changed.
The mechanic who did the bearing told me that the other side was not a bad bearing, but a bad intermediate shaft bearing. I assume this is the same as an Axel shaft bearing. If so, am I able to just get one of these bad boys from rockauto and install it myself or would it have to be pressed like a wheel bearing.

Reason I ask is because the mechanic quoted me 435 for the part (A brand new intermediate shaft) and 4 hours labour x 135/hr.

If you can get the whole shaft just do that and a transmission axle seal too. You could prob pull it out and replace in like an hour...depends how rusty your pass side hub bolts are as it has to come off. 4 hours for a trained mechanic seems alittle rediculous. I have no comment on part cost though.

If you can get the whole shaft just do that and a transmission axle seal too. You could prob pull it out and replace in like an hour...depends how rusty your pass side hub bolts are as it has to come off. 4 hours for a trained mechanic seems alittle rediculous. I have no comment on part cost though.

Where can I find the intermediate shaft? I cannot find it on rock auto. I'd rather not spend $450 on a new one either. Better yet, if I go to a scrap yard and take one off any 00-03 Protg or Protege5 is it the same shaft?

Last edited:
The shaft should be the same in a regular pro, only the CV axles were larger on the MSP.

Just got the MSP back from the mechanic. Sound is 95% gone. He talked about the bad axel bearing but I can't hear anything. He said that when they put their pipe up to the intermediate shaft (I'm guessing it's a metal tube they hold up to the axel to hear noises) they could hear the bearing.

Either way, I think I'll leave it alone until it makes a huge difference. Next thing on the to-do list is a wheel alignment, mine is way out.

Thanks guys!

Back