CX5 vs RDX

Similar reasoning here.

My search came down to the RDX Vs. CX5. The RDX was at least 10K more if you comparably equip it. The RDX also has about 35% worse fuel economy and taks premium. I figure the gas cost would be about 40% more overall.

It is going to be tough to say goodbye to the V6 Power in my Rav4, so the RDX would have been nice in that respect, but I just could not justify a pretty big cost difference per month.

I am still wavering some and really need to see the 2016's in person, but I am trying to stay open now so I don't miss out a possible good deal!

I am starting to hear reports of some getting up to $1000 off of MSRP on the 2016 while some are speculating that incentives should be out soon. One poster advocated the strategy of pitting Internet sales managers against each other from the comfort of your home and that's what I did. I got lucky and scored an uncommon deal but even before that I had a couple offers well below MSRP.

Yeah... it's more expensive, MPG is considerably worse, and it also looks dull compared to the CX-5. Acura has a very boring line-up in general, though, IMO.

I am starting to hear reports of some getting up to $1000 off of MSRP on the 2016 while some are speculating that incentives should be out soon. One poster advocated the strategy of pitting Internet sales managers against each other from the comfort of your home and that's what I did. I got lucky and scored an uncommon deal but even before that I had a couple offers well below MSRP.

In Canada, I got 1350 off, which was exactly 50% of MSRP over invoice. I also got them to throw in the liners, (which are weathertec I believe). Normally the liners were 210.

Got a crappy deal on my trade though. It was the exact same deal Toyota offered me on the trade (rav4)

Overall, not a a fantastic deal, but not bad for a car this newly released. It is effectively 1 year newer when I go to trade/sell it :)

I saw your deal and was hoping the dealer was ok with giving out their name because I too am in OC... however, I understand it was a one time deal and good for you!!! I am going to start the email process here in the next day or so and see what kind of luck I have shaving something off the MSRP. Wish me luck... this is always the worst part of buying a car.

I saw your deal and was hoping the dealer was ok with giving out their name because I too am in OC... however, I understand it was a one time deal and good for you!!! I am going to start the email process here in the next day or so and see what kind of luck I have shaving something off the MSRP. Wish me luck... this is always the worst part of buying a car.

I expanded my dealer search radius to 100 miles figuring if I could score a great deal then 100 mi. is well worth the drive. I didn't have to drive that far but the dealer was not near OC. Also, the more dealerships you have bidding against each other the better. And I definitely wish you good luck!

I agree that the RDX is a little to expensive for what you get. Another car I am looking at is the new 2015 CRV. The top of the line model has the same power at 185Bph. and it has many of the same features including power lift gate and memory seats and a few other things. I don't think it will be as sporty to drive, but it should be as reliable and it comes in at around the same price. I will have to check it out and compare.

I agree that the RDX is a little to expensive for what you get. Another car I am looking at is the new 2015 CRV. The top of the line model has the same power at 185Bph. and it has many of the same features including power lift gate and memory seats and a few other things. I don't think it will be as sporty to drive, but it should be as reliable and it comes in at around the same price. I will have to check it out and compare.

I'm also thinking about the 15 CRV, but the forums are littered with vibration at idle issues. With the cvt trans and piston configuration of the 2.4 (8mm offset for fuel Econ) many users are complaining of a harsh engine vibration entering the cabin. And from a driving perspective a cvt offers a very numb ride.

Not all would see this as a good reason to not buy a car but I must see 20 CRV's for every CX-5 and I drive around for a living. They don't exactly stand out from the pack. Then again I'm the guy that bought an Indian when everybody else was riding a Harley. I personally don't like that bulge in rear of the CRV either. The CX-5 is a much more visually appealing car and I suspect a sportier ride as well but I admittedly never test drove the CRV.

Last edited:
I expanded my dealer search radius to 100 miles figuring if I could score a great deal then 100 mi. is well worth the drive. I didn't have to drive that far but the dealer was not near OC. Also, the more dealerships you have bidding against each other the better. And I definitely wish you good luck!

Bob,

That's exactly what I intend on doing... It seems as though better deals are to be had outside of OC... I think inland empire dealers seem more willing to deal. I will be sending out my mass emails. I have already started. :)

I will have to look into that vibration issue. That would be something that bothers me. I have not had an opportunity to test drive the CRV yet. I just liked some of the options that the touring trim offered on the CRV. It will be a tough choice.

Bob,

That's exactly what I intend on doing... It seems as though better deals are to be had outside of OC... I think inland empire dealers seem more willing to deal. I will be sending out my mass emails. I have already started. :)

You will literally get flooded with calls. It's awesome. You just tell them exactly what you are looking for and sit back and let them do all the work. Keep us posted.

I drove the CRV back to back with the 2015 CX5 in November.

Honestly, the CRV was a decent car to drive also. The main issue for me between the two was the CVT. My Nissan has a CVT that I hate. I think the CRV is also a little more comparably equipped.

Other than those two things, it really comes down to personal preference. For me, the CX5 looked much better and felt a little sportier.

Back