Custom made Light Bulb holder

bucd

:
2005 Mazda Protege 5
Hello all,

So I picked up an 2003 Protg 5 recently. So far had to have most front end work done. Sway bar endlinks, bushings, front wheel bearings. Will be doing lower control arms, outter tie rods and cv axel seal on Monday. I also replace tranny filter and gasket, and used Lucas sym-sythetic ATF.

Here she is with old and very used 17 inch wheels
attachment.php

Here she is with new winter wheels:
attachment.php

Got new fog lights as they were both cracked.
Old and New
attachment.php

Ok now to the custom bulb holder:

I noticed that both lights were dangling in there, passenger side still had the wire clip but they had 9003 bulbs in there and missing the adapter as well, so just dangled in there. The driver side had the right bulb but missing the wire clip. So I thought, that's a cheap part I can pick up at dealer.....NOT. They only sell with the whole headlight housing and it was not cheap.

So what to do....well, since I did this on a laptop once to hold a hard drive in place when it was missing a caddy, I thought it may just work. So here goes.

1. Use the plastic from the blank CD/DVD spindle that you buy.

attachment.php

2. Cut a piece out and drill a hole, I used a 7/8 spade bit. Depending on which plastic case you get some will crack. I cracked about 5 of them before finding one that had a thick plastic that made it easier to drill through.

attachment.php

I place the bulb inside and put it in the headlight housing to mark the screw holes.

3. Here's what it looks like with the bulb in place.

Rear
attachment.php

Front
attachment.php

4. So once you got that done, put it in place and screw down the 2 screws. You can probably make it a little bigger use 3 screws, but I figure this is enough and will make changing out the bulb next time a little easier.

attachment.php

I know the passenger side would probably be a little harder to screw in, but since I only had to do one side, it was a breeze.

I thought I would share this idea just in case anyone is in the same boat. Save me from having to buy the whole headlight housing for a stupid wire clip.

thank you,

-D

Last edited:
Nice job. So essentially the tightness of the CD case plastic keeps it secure?

Awesome. Thanks for this. Mine are mangled from the mechanic installing my HIDs.

Back