Which crossbars for Rooftop Cargo Box ???

:
'14.5 CX-5 Touring AWD, Soul Red | '14 CX-5 Touring AWD White
Mazda's crossbars have 100LBS weight limit.

Which crossbars do you recommend for rooftop cargo box with gross weight over 100LBS?

Anyone?

I'm thinking the limit has more to do with avoiding unsafe handling with heavy loads up high and the mounting points than any weakness in the crossbar themselves.

100 pounds is quite a bit of gear, what do you want to put up there? You can haul a lot more stuff with a trailer (and it's a lot easier to load).

A big bag of potatos is 100LBS....

I know it should be enough for the box and cargo, but the mounts are plastics and that worries me. I thought I'd ask as perhaps someone might have gone with different brand/type.

Apparently not as the replies are null.

Thule's Crossroads feet and bars have a capacity of 165lbs. Don't know about Yakima. I use the Crossroads feet on the Mazda rails on my CX-5.

Thule's Crossroads feet and bars have a capacity of 165lbs. Don't know about Yakima. I use the Crossroads feet on the Mazda rails on my CX-5.

Very much appreciated!

The factory crossbars are only rated at 100 lbs as you stated. The side rails are stronger and Thule, Yakima and Whispbar rate them for 165lbs. You also get better positioning options with Yakima/Whispbar/Thule. Easier to move the box forward to clear the hatch, the extra height helps with this too, and you could position the box closer to the side of the car which makes loading easier.

Just to be clear, you could put crossbars rated for 2000 pounds on the CX-5 and yet the roof load rating would still be 100 pounds.

Hooking a trailer rated to 10,000 pounds to a CX-5 won't get you a 10,000 pound tow rating either.

Back