Trying to Pull parts for my 2003 P5

RichieBuon

:
2003 Mazda Protege5 - sunlight silver metallic
Hi, got a high-mileage P5 with 225k so I don't want to spend much money fixing her up. I saw a driveable 2001 Protege LX (same color) on CL for $250 and was wondering what (if any) parts are compatible with my P5?

What I'm looking for:

right and left front fenders
rear passenger door
suspension
front calipers

I know the wheels won't work and the engine/tranny are useless in my P5 as well. If there's any other parts that you know will work, let me know

If it has the fs-de motor than you can use it and gearbox, fenders, suspension,not sure on calipers and back door has different top window frame so won't fit.

I've seen this issue discussed here before, so definitely search using the Search function and Google. That said, the P5 fender has holes for its turn signals, while the LX might not. I can't recall...

putting a sedan fender on a p5 will cause a bunch of work to need to be done, you would either have to change the headlights to the seadans as well or cut a hole for the side marker

Hi, got a high-mileage P5 with 225k so I don't want to spend much money fixing her up. I saw a driveable 2001 Protege LX (same color) on CL for $250 and was wondering what (if any) parts are compatible with my P5?

What I'm looking for:

right and left front fenders
rear passenger door
suspension
front calipers

I know the wheels won't work and the engine/tranny are useless in my P5 as well. If there's any other parts that you know will work, let me know

there will be very few parts that will interchange between a protege5 and an 2001 LX sedan. it might be tempting, but i would pass. suspension design is similar, but the LX has smaller front brakes, rear drum brakes, and 4-lug wheels. (for starters...) the 2001 LX also had a smaller engine, so none of the powertrain components will swap over, either.

putting a sedan fender on a p5 will cause a bunch of work to need to be done, you would either have to change the headlights to the seadans as well or cut a hole for the side marker

nope, while the headlights have different insides, the physical shape is interchangeable. fenders are directly interchangable.

njaremka you are correct. I got that fender directly off of a 2001 protege es I believe. It bolted right on my 02 protege5. No problems, so I can tell you 1st hand that it worked just fine. I just did this swap about a week ago.

njaremka you are correct. I got that fender directly off of a 2001 protege es I believe. It bolted right on my 02 protege5. No problems, so I can tell you 1st hand that it worked just fine. I just did this swap about a week ago.

I imagine the fender did fit well. I can see from your photos that you don't have the side marker lights. Perhaps not a deal-killer for the OP, but to be an exact replacement, the fender will need to have a hole for the side marker (turn signal) light. I see plenty of pics online of ES (not LX) models that have the side marker lights (and the five-hole wheels, and probably the FS-DE engine, etc.), but I don't know which years they are. The ES you got your fender from may have even been wrecked previously, and a non-P5 part used in the repair. Just guessing at stuff at this point...

UPDATE: I didn't know until now, but it looks like the very first P5 models didn't have a side marker light. So I guess the answer is that if you have a side marker light on your P5, get a fender with a hole to accommodate it. :)

I got side-swiped years ago in my P5 and had to replace the driver's fender. The repair place kept receiving fenders from their vendor without turn signal holes in them (they tried two or three times to get me a cheaper aftermarket fender). In the end they couldn't get one and I asked them to get an original Mazda part that came with the holes. Here's my post on that:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...non-P5-fenders-fit-a-2003-P5&highlight=fender

Last edited:
Back