Megan Racing Coilovers for 2011+ Mazda 5 Preview/Review/Detailed Installation

:
2014 Mazda 5 Sport 6MT
So my Mazda 5 is a project car for the tech site Tom's Hardware, where I am the automotive editor. For those that haven't seen anything about my car, here are recaps of stories about it at Tom's -

Part 1 - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/mazda5-technology-project,3795.html
Part 2 - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/mazda5-technology-upgrade,3966.html

Part 3 is still a work in progress with more updates on the stereo, engine tuning (Mat / OVtuned is handling that), and the suspension parts, but I figured I should post up about the suspension separately.

Although my project is primarily focused on tech upgrades, I'm an enthusiast that loves driving. The stock Mazda 5 suspension is adequate but I always want better handling and a little drop for looks.

Megan Racing does not have an official application for the 2011+ Mazda 5. This is a prototype Street series setup they supplied me with for measurements and testing. I worked with Drift Office in Auburn, WA to procure the sponsorship and get it installed. If you have a GT86, Subaru, AE86, Skyline, pretty much anything cool and JDM, Bob and the crew at Drift Office are solid guys. Bob was also a former tech geek as well. The coilovers were provided to me at no charge, as long as I take lots of detailed pictures, measurements and provide feedback.

This is also my first set of coilovers, oddly I never did any suspension upgrades to my previous cars (BMW 528i Touring / Sport package, Miata, HHR SS 5MT). However, I've also driven a large variety of cars from hot hatches to uber luxury land yachts.

So lets get started with the beauty shots of the coilovers.

P1120172 by tuanies, on Flickr

They're so pretty
P1120170 by tuanies, on Flickr

P1120166 by tuanies, on Flickr

Yes it comes with camber plates, but I have no plans to stance it so its left at the default settings.
P1120162 by tuanies, on Flickr

Some shots of the rear struts and springs
P1120167 by tuanies, on Flickr

P1120169 by tuanies, on Flickr

P1120176 by tuanies, on Flickr

A before shot of the car
P1120154 by tuanies, on Flickr

Let's start with the front. Check out how much travel there is with the stock setup.
P1120179 by tuanies, on Flickr

Wheels are off
P1120184 by tuanies, on Flickr

Close up of the stock strut
P1120187 by tuanies, on Flickr

This is only applicable to manual Mazda 5's. The clutch fluid reservoir has to be removed to get access to the strut tower. I'm not sure if automatic models have anything there or not.
P1120189 by tuanies, on Flickr

It's out! If you want access to the camber plates after installation, you'll have to enlarge the center hole of the strut tower. I opted not to do this since I have no plans of adjusting camber at all.
P1120194 by tuanies, on Flickr

Stock strut versus the new coilover.
P1120192 by tuanies, on Flickr

P1120193 by tuanies, on Flickr

Let's get the coilover in place.
P1120197 by tuanies, on Flickr

The factory brake line and ABS sensor brackets attach perfectly like stock.
P1120200 by tuanies, on Flickr

For some reason I forgot to take a shot of the coilover installed without the wheel, but here's a shot with the wheel on. The new setup doesn't have as much travel up front.
P1120219 by tuanies, on Flickr

The damper adjustment knob is easily accessible on the passenger side. The driver side is slightly annoying due to the clutch fluid reservoir but its not that big of a deal.
P1120198 by tuanies, on Flickr

Now let's move to the back! Here's the stock setup.
P1120205 by tuanies, on Flickr

Mazda makes things very easy in the back. There's just two bolts holding the strut in place up top. No need to take apart interior trim or anything.
P1120188 by tuanies, on Flickr

Stock spring versus new one.
P1120207 by tuanies, on Flickr

Rear struts
P1120211 by tuanies, on Flickr

Stock versus coilover
P1120210 by tuanies, on Flickr
Strut installed
P1120218 by tuanies, on Flickr

New perch in place. We left the default settings but will have to go back and adjust it to get the rear a little lower.
P1120214 by tuanies, on Flickr

Spring in place.
P1120217 by tuanies, on Flickr

The nice thing about the 5 is there are cup holders where the rear struts mount up to. All I need to do to adjust stiffness is to pop the third row cup holder off and turn the knob.
DSC01481 by tuanies, on Flickr

Much less travel now.
P1120220 by tuanies, on Flickr

We bottomed out the front and rear struts on the car to get the car at that ride height. The front is perfect where it is for me. We need to adjust the rear spring perch to get the back end just a little lower to reduce the wheel gap.
Comparison shots.
Side-comparison by tuanies, on Flickr

suspension-travel-comparison by tuanies, on Flickr

fender-gap-comparison by tuanies, on Flickr

My impressions of the Megan Racing Street series coilovers for the 2nd gen Mazda 5 are good. At the softest settings, I'd say the ride is a little more comfortable than stock. I'm still playing with the stiffness adjustments and currently have them set to 16 clicks up front and 8 clicks in the back. There's 32 clicks of adjustment The handling improvements are very noticeable when you try to push the car. it doesn't feel as top heavy anymore and feels pretty close to the current third gen Mazda 3, in terms of handling. Combined with my GenPu MS3 wheels wrapped in Yokohoma Advan Sport A/S rubber, I'm very happy with the driving dynamics and ride quality. The 16 clicks is a little bit stiff so I'll probably turn that down a bit, but otherwise I'm happy. I still need to get it in for an alignment next week though.

I'll only swap the rear sway bar out for the Mazdaspeed 3 one I have in the garage and be done with the suspension, after I lower the rear a bit more. But for now, the car is ready for the NW Toy Run on Sunday :D. Next up is to get it on an autocross course, and possibly a track day.

Cool, nice to know there is another option. I have to say, these look like BC copies and my eyes tell me these "look" like cheap knock-offs (please don't take it the wrong way, honest opinion). How much do they retail??

Does the "after" pics of the wheel gap match the perch settings (gap) pics?

Cool, nice to know there is another option. I have to say, these look like BC copies and my eyes tell me these "look" like cheap knock-offs (please don't take it the wrong way, honest opinion). How much do they retail??

Does the "after" pics of the wheel gap match the perch settings (gap) pics?

For the most part there's one factory in China cranking out coilovers for the majority of the makers. Just damping and spring rates are different. The pictures of the struts and shocks are before the ride height adjustment for the after pic. Let me check on retail pricing.

For the most part there's one factory in China cranking out coilovers for the majority of the makers. Just damping and spring rates are different. The pictures of the struts and shocks are before the ride height adjustment for the after pic. Let me check on retail pricing.
That is not necessarily true. The three primary sources seems to be China, Taiwan, and S. Korea. I read a little into Megan and BCs and some of the internet rumors (BC/Megan/K-Sports/D2/Stance/etc.). There is definitely some heredity genes being passed around but there's also some unique attributes to certain "families".

MSRP is $1k for them, which is pretty good.
WOW! At this price point these are a hard sell but I don't know much about Megan. Potential buyers will have to research and find out.

EDIT: BC vs. Megans, from a neutral retails...
http://blog.modernperformance.com/differences-between-bc-and-megan-coilovers

Last edited:
I'm quite happy with them. Turn-in is fantastic now that I have the suspension dialed in the way I want it. Next up is the MS3 RSB to get rid of some understeer.

retail might be $999, but you can usually find megan street series coilovers for between $700-900 depending on model.

Back