Thinking of getting a Mazda5....... Babies on the way!

Porsche

MP3 717
:
nothing currently....
Well this past summer I sold my Mazdaspeed protege for a z28.
Had a MP3 before that but always wanted an ls1 car.
Well time has come for a change. Found out the wife is expecting.
Went this past week for the sonogram and found out it is twins!!!!!

So I sold the Camaro and started looking for family cars. I knew I would need something family once we had a kid but with two at once a van type vehicle is temping.

What are the pros and cons of mazda5 that y'all have ran into?
Looks to be the coolest van I could find. Lol

Last edited:
Pros: it does not drive or look like a typical full sized minivan. It gets better gas mileage and is cheaper to buy.
Cons: it is not as comfortable on long trips, and it does not have the space as your typical minivan.

My two vehicles are a 2006 mazda 5
And a 2007 honda odyssey

On long trips the Odyssey is unbeatable, around the town in parking lots I hate the odyssey. We bought the 5 new and my wife and I still enjoy driving it .

Dependability wise the Mazda has been the hands down winner in our family. The paint quality and overall fit and finish seems better on the odyssey, but it a much more expensive car. We only bought the odyssey when we had our third kid, otherwise the 5 was perfect with 2 kids and a dog.

Pros: sliding doors, space for a double stroller, 6 speed manual (not available on 2015)

Cons: depends are you looking at new or used?

Well this past summer I sold my Mazdaspeed protege for a z28.
Had a MP3 before that but always wanted an ls1 car.
Well time has come for a change. Found out the wife is expecting.
Went this past week for the sonogram and found out it is twins!!!!!

So I sold the Camaro and started looking for family cars. I knew I would need something family once we had a kid but with two at once a van type vehicle is temping.

What are the pros and cons of mazda5 that y'all have ran into?
Looks to be the coolest van I could find. Lol

Pros:
-Bargains can be had
-Fun to drive
-Versatile interior
-Small exterior dimensions so easier to park
-Relatively fuel efficient compared to other mini-vans
-You can buy a manual transmission
-Available with many creature comforts (e.g. heated seats, HIDs, sunroof, parking sensors). Even the sport model has nice options (e.g. cruise control, steering wheel mounted controls).
-No stupid infotainment system that becomes outdated after two years
-Sliding doors

Cons:
-Smaller interior than other vans but should be fine for a family of four
-Trunk is smaller than other mini vans (becomes mini-cooper sized when all six seats are being used).
-Not as safe as full sized minivans (probably a factor of being smaller)
-Interior lighting could be more plentiful
-Watch for power steering and camber issues on 1st gen models - they are known to eat tires
-No power sliding doors (unlike many other mini vans)

Note: the fact that it is smaller is both a pro/con depending on how you look at it.

I picked up 2013 Sport ATX model when the second kid came along. This car, for the money you pay, gives you the most space. I'm 6'6" and there is plenty room, even with kids seats facing forward. We never use the rear seats, so that gives you a ton of room in there. I've had strollers and even a 24" Husqvarna snowblower. Sliding doors make it super easy loading kids in and out of the car. Turning circle is great, engine is plenty powerful. Mileage is not fantastic, I average 23-24 MPG with 95% city driving. My only gripe with the car is hybrid power steering. It's electrically assisted power steering. At slow speeds, like when backing out of parking spaces, the electric assist whines. Its very minor and easily drowned by the radio. Get one before they are no longer available, as 2015 is the last year on sale in US.

Last edited:
I had to give up my 5 for a Sienna this spring when we decided 4 car seats did not leave enough room for road trip luggage. That being said, we did have a hitch mounted platform for extra luggage, and a roof rack system is also an option

We had it with a stick since before our first child, and had a ton of space for our needs until we had to add the 4th car seat. (Actually removed the 2nd middle bucket for awhile). My mileage ranged from 7.5-9.5 L/100 KM, whereas now I get 11-13 in the Sienna. Everyone else has pointed out the pros and cons, and like Tushawn, I was very tempted to keep the 5 as an around town vehicle, and will consider just that if they bring the skyactiv 5 to Canada

Thanks everyone for the info.

I am looking for a used one and auto (wife can not drive a manual and I have a feeling she will be taking this once she sees how easy it is with the sliding doors.)
I dont really see another option out there that is sporty and does the job. I was looking at a Mazda3 or XB before I found out it was twins.
The wife has a 2011 Release Series XB which we really like, but I want something with sliding doors and more seats then 5 (or 4 with car seats).

I will let you all know what I get. I have some time before I have to buy anything but will be looking.

Thanks again!!!

That's just a silver one with RX8 19" wheels and a drop. The MS3 wheels are similar but 18". A couple of us run similar wheels and have suspension drops.

I want the full decal set. ;) I know they have to give it like 10 extra hp and 1 mpg right!?!?!

True! It seems like most vehicles don't do we'll on the small overlap front.

I wouldn't worry about the SOL test. IMO I think that test is pretty absurd. Like I said in the past, unless you're drunk driving or street racing, both of which are illegal and shouldn't be doing, the likelihood of hitting a solid stationary object (wall, tree, pole, etc) is pretty slim. The side impact is the one to be concerned about more. Although I guess this goes to all vans with slider doors Because of the huge gaping hole in the middle of the van. At any rate, I love my MZ5.

OP, you are doing good to be looking at a van and not an SUV for kid duties. Sliding doors cannot be appreciated enough.

The mz5 is way more fun to drive than a van has a right to be. Take a test drive and see what you think, it can't hurt.

There are options for more power other than those stickers...

Although I guess this goes to all vans with slider doors Because of the huge gaping hole in the middle of the van.

All of the minivans on the market score "Good" on the side impact. If these tests had been available when I was shopping, I would have steered clear. My children are the ones sitting in the second row next to the sliders.

I just want to say congrats on the twins! You'll be in for a world of hurt AND fun :D

Thanks! Yes it is a lot and I was really in a daze the first day we found out. Now I am really excited and hoping everything goes well.
We have our 10 week appointment next week. Once all is good there I will really start looking for a car.

It appears the mazda5 is the way to go unless I do a flip and go with another XB.
I really like the Mazda5 lowered with some custom wheels! UMMMMM

Well still have not purchased anything yet.
Keep going back and forth between this and SUV's and full size vans, but keep coming back to the Mazda5.
I heard that the 2008 had a different transmission, is that correct?

Found a 2008 Sport with 113K for 6500 that looks to be in good shape. :|

Back