Class Action Lawsuit Against Mazda Over USB/Bluetooth Music Issue?

Thompsoncd

:
2015 CX-5 Grand Touring
I purchased a 2015 CX5 Grand Touring with the Tech Package and have experienced many problems with the USB when trying to play music and also the Bluetooth when trying to play music. I think many here are already familiar with the issues.

I think this might be a candidate for a class action lawsuit. I was promised certain functionality and it has not been delivered. Furthermore, the issues are well known and have been going on since the 2013 model year.

I know nothing about how to proceed and have been checking out the law firms that specialize in class actions. But I thought I'd ask here first, if anyone has any experience and can direct me before I put my complete trust in a law firm.

I have driven seven Mazdas since 1980 and consider myself a Mazda fan. I'm generally against using lawsuits to solve problems, but given how long this issue has been going on and the lack of comment on Mazda's part, makes me consider this action.

No experience with class action suits, but count me in to join it.

What phone do you have? What firmware? What Bluetooth revision? Did you check compatibility list before you bought?

Nexus 4 is on the list and with the latest Android version 4.4.4 the CX5 forgets it after a few days. NFG. Maybe Android 5.0 Lollipop could work, should know when it comes out in a few days. Still, 99.8% sure its an NB1 issue.

I'd join. Upgraded Bose system in these vehicles is not up to par and dealer service depts. don't give a rat's behind.

BOSE is a terrible company that has made outdated terrible products for 20 years. People whom are deaf or dumb or suckers for pyramid schemes think ANY BOSE product is as good or better than ANY competitors similarly priced product in any medium. Mazda only uses the BOSE name because average stupid buyers want a "premium" name on upgraded sound systems, even when they are no better, or even worse in their design. This is a KNOWN fact with BOSE. I bought the premium system for the Headlights, SCBS, and Sunroof. The GPS and marginally better sound were icing, even if it is Costco icing.

The fact that BOSE is still considered the highest perceived quality brand in US shows American buyers are deaf and stupid. But people will argue over which Sugary drink is better or worse but ignore the fact or are shocked to find Vitamin Water (the BOSE of sweet drinks) is shocker, no better than a Coke or Pepsi for you...its called Marketing for a reason.

But a crappy USB input or flaky Bluetooth will net you $200 in a lawsuit, while the lawyers would get millions.

The Bluetooth works great for me, at least in Music streaming and using basic phone stuff. I have Cortana to read my texts for me. I have a Microsoft LUMIA 1020 with Windows Phone 8.1 update 1 with BT 4.0LE

Class action lawsuits need definitive proof of wrongdoing... and the system is flawed but not fraudulent. If class actions worked, Ford would have been hammered over their flawed Sync system.

I figure by the time my warranty runs out someone will have a plug and play replacement for our systems. One that will talk to our cars, use the steering controls, and use the existing antennas.

I want to be in too. I have a 2014 CX-5 GT AWD without tech package. I hate the USB drive playing first song every time I turn on the car. It's really just a minor annoyance to me, but still, I want them to at least work on a solution. I'm thinking it should be doable with a simple software update, but I don't know why they are just trying to burying it. I tried getting a replacement bluetooth module and software update per a TSB, but that didn't help.

Ive had two 2014 CX5 GT's as loaners while my CX9 was being serviced. Both of the CX5's Bluetooth worked just as well as it does on my CX9. I have a pretty old Motorola Electrify M XT901.

I want to be in too. I have a 2014 CX-5 GT AWD without tech package. I hate the USB drive playing first song every time I turn on the car. It's really just a minor annoyance to me, but still, I want them to at least work on a solution. I'm thinking it should be doable with a simple software update, but I don't know why they are just trying to burying it. I tried getting a replacement bluetooth module and software update per a TSB, but that didn't help.

I actually stopped using my iPod for the very reason you mentioned in your post. Why should I have fast forward just to get where I left off on a song. I hated that it starts all over on the same song at the beginning instead of where I left off. Really do love my CX-5 but for what it costs the Infotainment is low end. Previous Subaru owner who could do exactly what we are asking for with far less aggravation.

The problem has never been with the Bluetooth - the issue is with the USB and IPOD integration, and would be worth a class action since they haven't fixed it in two years now. Ludicrous.

My issue is the bluetooth email and sms to speech doesn't work. Never has worked more than a couple days after pairing, or repairing.

My issue is the bluetooth email and sms to speech doesn't work. Never has worked more than a couple days after pairing, or repairing.

I imagine you will need to sue Apple and whoever is responsible for Android as well. Probably need to sue Motorola and Microsoft as well as IBM and Qualcomm.

BOSE is a terrible company that has made outdated terrible products for 20 years. People whom are deaf or dumb or suckers for pyramid schemes think ANY BOSE product is as good or better than ANY competitors similarly priced product in any medium. Mazda only uses the BOSE name because average stupid buyers want a "premium" name on upgraded sound systems, even when they are no better, or even worse in their design. This is a KNOWN fact with BOSE. I bought the premium system for the Headlights, SCBS, and Sunroof. The GPS and marginally better sound were icing, even if it is Costco icing.

The fact that BOSE is still considered the highest perceived quality brand in US shows American buyers are deaf and stupid. But people will argue over which Sugary drink is better or worse but ignore the fact or are shocked to find Vitamin Water (the BOSE of sweet drinks) is shocker, no better than a Coke or Pepsi for you...its called Marketing for a reason.

But a crappy USB input or flaky Bluetooth will net you $200 in a lawsuit, while the lawyers would get millions.

The Bluetooth works great for me, at least in Music streaming and using basic phone stuff. I have Cortana to read my texts for me. I have a Microsoft LUMIA 1020 with Windows Phone 8.1 update 1 with BT 4.0LE

Class action lawsuits need definitive proof of wrongdoing... and the system is flawed but not fraudulent. If class actions worked, Ford would have been hammered over their flawed Sync system.

I figure by the time my warranty runs out someone will have a plug and play replacement for our systems. One that will talk to our cars, use the steering controls, and use the existing antennas.

I was in charge of renovating Bose research and development center in Framingham Massachusetts, which was ongoing for over 6 months. I got to know the facilities, the building, and engineers who work there, and the way they build and design through research. I got to see and hear first hand how they build their systems. I also got to see prototype systems that were about to come on the market like the Bose Video Wave TV. Some of the products they make are truly awesome and others are not so much. We are each entitled to our own opinions and it is my opinion based on my experiences there that overall Bose does make and design great products. When manufacturers hire companies like Bose to build a sound system, they have to stay within certain budgets based on the vehicle. Sometimes this means they have to work within this budget or compromise. Mazda is not the only manufacturer that has problems with their infotainment systems. Although Mazda's system does have some issues, if you dig deeper, you will see that they all have issues to some degree. Infotainment systems are a relatively new thing to auto manufacturers and they are not good at designing these systems.

I agree that a class action lawsuit is NOT the right thing to do. All that this will do is hurt Mazda corporation and make the lawyers rich and everyone will still have the same problem. I can't see any good that can come out of class action lawsuit.

Last edited:
Interesting to see the 'Murican mentality of suing somebody and anybody here the moment something doesn't work right. IMO, the pragmatic (and almost certainly cheaper, for time and $$$) approach in this case would be to head over to Crutchfield.com and pick up something that has the USB and Bluetooth feature that you are looking for. But nope... the 'Murican mentality dictates that a lawsuit must be it.

For what it is worth, I have listened to both spectacular offerings and complete garbage from Bose. IMO, Bose is certainly capable of producing some acoustically high quality products, but be prepared to pay through the nose for those. In general, I find that their price-performance ratio pales vastly in comparison to numerous other brands, and I generally don't recommend them to anyone because there are much better options elsewhere.

If Mazda doesn't want to spend the money on their lawyers and get a public black eye, then all they have to do is fix the problems with the portions of their cars we paid for. They've had plenty of time to do so yet we're still waiting.

If Mazda would like to pick up the tab for me to go to Crutchfield and get and install a new head unit, that would be fine with me.

Not sure what the big deal is. I just connect and hit shuffle on the head unit and it shuffles a different song order everytime. Also the 2016 models will have a completely new system so that will be their fix like it or not. Bose is no worse then the standard pos that is offered in any other car. iPhones have text and email problems in many cars so blame apple for not introducing the proper MAP Protocal.

Interesting to see the 'Murican mentality of suing somebody and anybody here the moment something doesn't work right. IMO, the pragmatic (and almost certainly cheaper, for time and $$$) approach in this case would be to head over to Crutchfield.com and pick up something that has the USB and Bluetooth feature that you are looking for. But nope... the 'Murican mentality dictates that a lawsuit must be it.

For what it is worth, I have listened to both spectacular offerings and complete garbage from Bose. IMO, Bose is certainly capable of producing some acoustically high quality products, but be prepared to pay through the nose for those. In general, I find that their price-performance ratio pales vastly in comparison to numerous other brands, and I generally don't recommend them to anyone because there are much better options elsewhere.

Excellent point!

First and foremost I have tried to get things worked out with my dealer and with Mazda Canada. It is like talking to a brick wall. Traum has the right approach and I hate to burst everyones bubble because you are all great people and yes you are right that it does not work as you would expected. A lawyer will very quickly tell you that the USB does work - as it plays the songs. That it does not adhere to your standards is something a judge will take into consideration, but any lawyer will argue that the unit works, you turn it on, it plays music. Bluetooth issue is a little different but generally the dealers are now slowly replacing units, still no global recall. So now the point where Mazda does not want a black eye. Frankly speaking they could care less, their ads on TV still show the same cars and they still sell like hotcakes, only to find after the fact that customers are disappointed in this part of the car. Trust me, I just came out of a lengthy battle with lawyers and my former employer and what those lawyers are charging is simply not worth our efforts to cause Mazda to change their approach to this issue - sorry but a lawyer will charge any group at least 300 dollar per hour. So let's say there are 30,000 CX5 model cars that have this issue and some 50,000 M6 cars. That is 80,000 models with an average replacement value of the head unit of 600 dollar. We are talking roughly 5 million dollars here. Mazda can hire a lawyer for 300,000 dollar and spend 1000 hours on this... it is just not worth it. A replacement aftermarket unit will run between 500 and 1200 dollars, depending on how handy the installer is. The risks of starting a class action law suit will be quickly overturned by a judge where Mazda can easily resolve out of court for much less and refund 20% or so for a replacement aftermarket unit. Chances that this will be won are very slim though, like a said any lawyer will argue that the unit works and that this is all that was to be delivered when they sold the car. It sounds wrong and arrogant on Mazda's part, but they are in business to make money.

Back