Dash Camera?

Has anyone mounted a 3rd party dash cam on windscreen to record driving scene? What is your recommendation? I wonder how much it cost to have a car audio shop wire the dash cam nicely w/o having to use the cigarette lighter.

I have had a Mini 0801 mounted on the sensor cover for over a year now. I have just removed it and waiting for the new A118 to arrive.
I will place it next to the sensor on the left side where the black spots are. I believe this shape of dashcam is the best for the future, for placement, etc..
Here is a great review (All his videos are great): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3eDXKLNLys

I bought the dashcam installation kit this company offers, that plugs into the fuse box in the driver side kick panel. (Plug it into the accessory fuse as described in the How To section for hardwiring the Valentine 1 radar). It's super easy.
http://thedashcamstore.com/dashcam-installation-kit-5-volt-usb-plug-low-profile-mini-fuse/

I also mounted a mini 0801 (ie. Ojocam Pro). I wired it into an accessory circuit in the fusebox by your left foot via an add-a-fuse so it auto turns on and off with the power, without having wires all over the place and using the dash accessory outlet.

Works great!

Weird coincidence...... I have the mini 0803 mounted directly in front of (behind?) the rear view mirror; can't even see it from the driver's seat, and blends in well from outside the car. The temporary wiring to the cigarette lighter can be *very* well hidden, and I see no need to permanently wire it.

Here's some footage from my "VF300W" generic camera from foxoffer... It's an okay dash cam from a year ago.. Still am using it but might upgrade in the future, maybe to the Mini 0803, much more smaller but then I'm also lazy to hardwire the power cable.. just having it hanging lol

Hardwiring on the CX-5 is super simple. The hardest part is removing the A pillar plastic cover. There's a "security" latch on it that keeps the plastic moulding attached to the frame when the side window airbags deploy, that's hard to remove. Official instructions from Mazda is to CUT it, and replace with a new one.
If you have small hands and a long needle nose pliers, you can remove it easily though and reuse.

When My new A118 comes in, and if I like it, I want to order another one for the rear.
I know the rear has a 12v accessory socket, but it's always live. I have to figure out a way to wire it up so it turns on when car is turned on. Not sure what to tap into. Anyone have any ideas?

I never remove the A pillar plastic cover, I just push the wire behind it at the edges. At the top also, just push it in to the slot.
I did it for the microphone.

I never remove the A pillar plastic cover, I just push the wire behind it at the edges. At the top also, just push it in to the slot.
I did it for the microphone.

I chose the remove the A-Pillar because of the airbags, anything in the way if the airbags deploy, horrible s*** might happen :)
There's actually nice little clips inside that you can route the dashcam cable through and away from the airbags.

Strange coincidence, I just bought a dash can for my car as well a few days ago. Ended up going with the Movies with lens B and the capacitor kit. Should arrive in the mail in the next few days, dashcamtalk.com has a ton of great info on the many different types of cams

Can those of you who have the Mini 0801 post a photo of it mounted on your windshield? I might get this as a Christmas present to myself, I would just like to see what it looks like mounted before pulling the trigger on it.

nXt, can you post a photo of the A118 when you get it and mount it? It would be much appreciated!

I got one for #30 on aliexpress a while ago. I only used it to mess around. This is an old video I made with my 2.0. I should actually remake some for my 2.5.
This one the camera was mounted with the suction cup outside on the hatch lol.

Here are the photos of my Mini 0801/0803 mounted. I've taken it off last week and waiting for the A118.
IMG_20140513_110644.jpg
IMG_20140513_111551.jpg
IMG_20140513_111716.jpg

I installed a dash cam built into a add on mirror slight wider that slips over the oem mirror. The advantage is that it is not noticeable at all as it looks like part of the mirror unless you do a close examination. I also slipped the small power line under the trim and down the left side just near the windshield down to the fuse box near your left foot. I used a add a fuse tap in a open "power on with ignition" fuse. This is it on Amazon:https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I installed a dash cam built into a add on mirror slight wider that slips over the oem mirror. The advantage is that it is not noticeable at all as it looks like part of the mirror unless you do a close examination. I also slipped the small power line under the trim and down the left side just near the windshield down to the fuse box near your left foot. I used a add a fuse tap in a open "power on with ignition" fuse. This is it on Amazon:https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

That's a unique idea...However it looks really bulky and awkward. I also have the mirror with the homelink buttons which I use, so this would not be practical for me.

Here are the photos of my Mini 0801/0803 mounted. I've taken it off last week and waiting for the A118.
View attachment 209256
View attachment 209257
View attachment 209258

Thanks! I think I would mount it next to the mirror and higher up. Do you have both the mini 0801 and 0803? if so, which is better? I have been reading reviews that show the 0803 has a clearer image & better night vision, but there have been a lot of reported problems with it shutting down/not starting and even MELTING. I would want to avoid that headache and go with what appears to be a tried and true 0801 where all the kinks have been worked out.

Thats how my cowon is mounted. i'm probably replacing it with A118 or mobius soon though. I have mobius in another car and very happy with it.

Thanks! I think I would mount it next to the mirror and higher up. Do you have both the mini 0801 and 0803? if so, which is better? I have been reading reviews that show the 0803 has a clearer image & better night vision, but there have been a lot of reported problems with it shutting down/not starting and even MELTING. I would want to avoid that headache and go with what appears to be a tried and true 0801 where all the kinks have been worked out.

It's mounted that way because of the huge sensor cover area. On the sides, because of how the 0801 is shaped and works, it was the best place for center view and coverage. The camera points to the right from the mount, so putting it on the left side of the sensor area, it would be way off center, and putting it on the right side it's too exposed.

I have the 0801 original. My friends have the 0803. Their mounts seems very sturdy and tight. Mine is loose and wiggles, and with the heat, if I don't check it once in a while, it'll fall off when i make a huge wide turn. No melting issues and I live in southern california.

Thanks for all the info! Keep this thread updated when you get the A118. I'm curious to see how it looks mounted. I wonder how the A118 would look mounted the way you have the mini mounted, under the rain sensor cover.

Thanks for all the info! Keep this thread updated when you get the A118. I'm curious to see how it looks mounted. I wonder how the A118 would look mounted the way you have the mini mounted, under the rain sensor cover.

I've had the A118 since August and I think it works great. I have it mounted to the left of the rain sensor cover with the camera lens lined up directly below those black dot things. I didn't hard-wire it in, but instead routed the wire through the headliner, and along the passenger pillar, and have it plugged into switched cigarette lighter until I feel comfortable hard-wiring it at some point. I put some electrical tape over the blinking red light because it's annoying while driving, and I know it's on because the screen will stay on for a about a minute after turning the car on. Otherwise, I never notice it while driving.

Attachments

• IMG_20141105_080459.jpg
    IMG_20141105_080459.jpg
    873.1 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_20141105_080509.jpg
    IMG_20141105_080509.jpg
    948.5 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_20141105_080527.jpg
    IMG_20141105_080527.jpg
    897.3 KB · Views: 194
I've had the A118 since August and I think it works great. I have it mounted to the left of the rain sensor cover with the camera lens lined up directly below those black dot things. I didn't hard-wire it in, but instead routed the wire through the headliner, and along the passenger pillar, and have it plugged into switched cigarette lighter until I feel comfortable hard-wiring it at some point. I put some electrical tape over the blinking red light because it's annoying while driving, and I know it's on because the screen will stay on for a about a minute after turning the car on. Otherwise, I never notice it while driving.

That's awesome, That's where I plan to put the A118 also. I'm going to try to put it up a bit higher so just the top of the lens is right underneath the black dots.

Back