G power or V power spark plugs for protege5?

davemsc

:
mazda protege5
Ok, changing out plugs and what are your thoughts on G power or V power NGK plugs (NOT THE LONG REACH)

Also, Can I just change the 2 wires to the NGK blue ones and leave the other two the way they are or do all 4 have to be replaced? In replacing ones with the coil packs, what would I need to buy? I've never changed the wires on a car before and have no idea how to do it. All I know is I can buy NGK wires (RC-ZE76 - 2 wires) and 4 spark plugs. Any reccomendations on part numbers for the other 2?

Ok, changing out plugs and what are your thoughts on G power or V power NGK plugs (NOT THE LONG REACH)

Also, Can I just change the 2 wires to the NGK blue ones and leave the other two the way they are or do all 4 have to be replaced? In replacing ones with the coil packs, what would I need to buy? I've never changed the wires on a car before and have no idea how to do it. All I know is I can buy NGK wires (RC-ZE76 - 2 wires) and 4 spark plugs. Any reccomendations on part numbers for the other 2?

I personally use V Powers in my MSP, P5 and 6s. I use G Powers all the time in lieu of more expensive platinum plugs in cars at the shop.

For the COP boots, use NGK part number 58910

I personally use V Powers in my MSP, P5 and 6s. I use G Powers all the time in lieu of more expensive platinum plugs in cars at the shop.

For the COP boots, use NGK part number 58910

Thanks for the response. Does that mean I shouldn't just replace the two wires but need to replace all 4 at once? So the COP boots are all I need to buy for those other 2? Does that include the coil packs?

Last edited:
I've never replaced the COP boots by themselves simply because they come on the ignition coils which get replaced ALLLLL the time anyway. Realistically, I'd replace the plugs, 2 ignition wires and 2 ignition coils. That way you have 100% of your ignition system replaced and in good health as well as setting a base line for maintenance on those items.

I've never replaced the COP boots by themselves simply because they come on the ignition coils which get replaced ALLLLL the time anyway. Realistically, I'd replace the plugs, 2 ignition wires and 2 ignition coils. That way you have 100% of your ignition system replaced and in good health as well as setting a base line for maintenance on those items.

I guess that is my question... That post number you gave... Is that for the coils and boots?

So does NGK make coil packs? If not what ones do people recommend? I live in Canada so I don't have the same stores you guys have....
Thanks
Dave

personally i prefer iridium spark plugs just a good, if not better spark than copper and they last up to 100,000 miles ( i still change em at about 50,000 mile increments) i also noticed a slight bump up in fuel economy when i switched to them (although not much so probably just coincidence) i used them in my old pathfinder and xterra and this car as well funny thing is they all had the same plug number (ngk part # 5464 iridiums)

So does NGK make coil packs? If not what ones do people recommend? I live in Canada so I don't have the same stores you guys have....
Thanks
Dave

I used Rock Auto to order plugs, wires (the blue NGK ones) and went with Beck Arnley coils,... they have been working fine for a couple of years now,...

Rock Auto ships to Canada and includes all duty, tax and shipping in their price,... No surprises at the door from the Duty Police.

(my neighbor was charged $900 duty on an racing axle for his car,... (he was trying to sneak it across the border so they threw the book at him))

I've never changed the wires on a car before and have no idea how to do it. Thanks:)

Be careful when you remove the boots from the plugs,.. the rubber boot is glued to the wire and catches on a lip in the spark plug hole and can fall off and get stuck in the hole.

,... Then out comes the vacuum cleaner, coat hangers, duct tape and sticks to get the damn boot out of the hole.

as i stated above i prefer iridium but if your decision is between g and v power i would go v power as it is oe style but g powers will last longer

personally i prefer iridium spark plugs just a good, if not better spark than copper and they last up to 100,000 miles ( i still change em at about 50,000 mile increments) i also noticed a slight bump up in fuel economy when i switched to them (although not much so probably just coincidence) i used them in my old pathfinder and xterra and this car as well funny thing is they all had the same plug number (ngk part # 5464 iridiums)

Copper plugs have better performance at the tradeoff of longevity, has been mentioned lots of times on the forums.

Here is 1 of many references in case you don't believe me: http://www.carid.com/articles/types-of-spark-plugs.html

Copper plugs have better performance at the tradeoff of longevity, has been mentioned lots of times on the forums.

,... and they're $1.79 each from Rock Auto (NGK V-Power),... I buy em by the dozen when I get stuff from them.

yes but you have to change them every 15000 miles versus 75-100k for iridium and according to ngk and many sources i have seen the iridium ix and v power have very very close spark and i did notice a slight bump up in fuel economy in the city when i went to iridium from about 23-24 to about 26mpg but every person has their own experience and different climates require different plugs as gas blends and temperature/humidity in the air effect it as well in texas the iridiums work very well for me but i bet the copper v power would be better in cold climates but i have no experience with cold climate long term driving the throttle responce seems better to me with iridum too, not saying i have hp or torque gains but it seems to respond faster to throttle input

,... and they're $1.79 each from Rock Auto (NGK V-Power),... I buy em by the dozen when I get stuff from them.

Are the NGK v power pre-gapped? I believe they are but just want to confirm. I ordered the BKR5E -11.

Thanks
Dave

copper plugs are almost never pre gapped they maybe close but you always have to check them, platinum and up(double platinum, iridium) are all pre gapped and your not supposed to even gap those type, especially iridium as you can chip off the coating from the electrodes that goes for any brand

copper plugs are almost never pre gapped they maybe close but you always have to check them, platinum and up(double platinum, iridium) are all pre gapped and your not supposed to even gap those type, especially iridium as you can chip off the coating from the electrodes that goes for any brand

The gap should be .044 right?

The_big_dill,

You apparently misinterpreted the comments on iridium plugs. Direct quote from the CARiD article:

"Iridium-tipped...offer better power, more complete combustion that leads to smooth-running engines, and a longer lifespan than copper plugs."

Last edited:
Now apply what is said in the article in the real world and lie to us that you can feel the difference. All you gain is changing the plugs less often at most. The cost of iridium will still be more since they may last 3 times longer but cost 5-7 times as much or more per plug...$2 vs $14. At least that's what they were when I drank the koolaid back about 8 yrs ago trying this out. NGK ZFR copper plugs cover the smoother running more complete combustion too.....at $2 each. You are basically paying much more for the convenience of leaving them in the car longer....which could be an issue of seizing in place and causing big problems if you ruin the threads. Pick your poison.

Back